overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1145   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.06   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale. Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth-watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - MAY 7, 2003
OK, a couple of disclaimers seem called for. First, my palate is rusty as hell. I haven't had a batch of new brews like this in a very long time. Second, I'm habitually baised against fruit beers, most of which I can't stand, though I'm not above my own experimentations in home brewed fruitiness. That said, this stuff rubbed me the wrong way - I was already thinking the Norski might be too sweet and this one rages with sweetness. And what tries to rein this outageous power in is not anything significantly beery (i.e. hops), but rather the natural, beautiful tartness of rasberries. What seems to have happened is that the significant malt (it does have a good round feel) causes a sweet accentuated by the berries. I admire the freshness and quality of the ingredients, but what they add up to is not a beer I like much.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JCW (1274) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAY 5, 2003
I like this beer. It was the most different brew that I've ever had(the raspberry equivolent to the Belgian red). Very strong raspberry taste and aroma. Hints of malt and not a trace of hops. Great brew to have at the end of an evening,with or in lieu of a desert. Many Thanks to CaptainCougar for this gem.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Nuffield (3639) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - APR 16, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 25, 2004 Very very nice--the kind of beer my wife loves to share with me. I loved the wax on the bottle neck and top--nice touch. Pours attractively with a vibrant raspberry-red head, just bursting with aroma. So fresh, so authentic. Perhaps a hint of raspberry sherbert there, but mostly raspberry puree. The flavor...more of the same! There are moments when it reminds you that it is a beer, but mostly this is an easy-drinking wine cooler / kool aid beverage. The initial sip (on a clean palate) struck at the jaw with a jolt of sour, but after that the "tart" was more in name than in palate--or perhaps, given the sweetness, a raspberry tart (i.e. pie-like dessert). For what it is, lovely. The beer to give a woman who says she "doesn't like beer" (fortunately, my wife likes stouts as well as fruit beers). original rating (8-4-8-4-16; 16 Apr 03) // Re-rate 20 Aug 04: Jam-quality, moderate acidity, needs more sourness to be really enjoyable to me, but that's just a preference. Still a beautiful appearance (8-5-8-4-15).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - APR 10, 2003
Oh my goodness...can we say raspberries...yes, i think we certainly can...a faint hint of cherries perhaps..but yeah, more raspberries on top of that. It pours a heavenly reddish color with a hint of velvet hiding within. Medium to high level of carbonation here with a definite bittersweet aspect of sweet fruits and souring fruitiness...confusingly complex is the best way i can possibly describe it. One of the most full bodied fruit flavors out there...just overflowing with tart fruits. I am very amazed to say the least.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - MAR 13, 2003
Grape juice was the first thing I thought when seeing it in my glass. Definitely the dark raspberries, not the light ultra tart kind. Tart though, very rich and a top-notch fruit beer. Light frothy edging.

Dougal (130) - Escondido, California, USA - MAR 10, 2003
Raspberry, Raspberry, Raspbeery. Beautiful red coloring and a nose that lets you know that sweetness is what this guy is all about. Overiped raspberries in the nose and the palate. Enjoy with a nice chocolate cake.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
herbjones (742) - Orange, California, USA - MAR 9, 2003
This a truly special brew if you ask me. Pours a beautiful glowing red with a nose like a fresh raspberry danish. Sweet but not cloying. Full lush raspberry flavor with a slight acidity coming through in the middle. Another of the highlights from the fest.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
beerguy101 (5267) - Newark, California, USA - MAR 9, 2003
Dark red color. Small head. Aroma is raspberry and malts. A big bold raspberry flavor. Malty and slightly sweet. The raspberry flavor predominates this beer. Still beer like, despite all the fruit flavor. As usual with New Glarus its very smooth. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is sweet.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Marc (486) - Yokosuka, JAPAN - MAR 9, 2003
Jcalabre called the description spot on. Every thing about this brew is rasberries that jsut happened to be brewed. Very sweet and full of Rasberry jam, fresh rasberries, rasberry pie filling, and a little pie crust. Its more of a dessert than anything, would love to find a bottle to try some cooking with.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
JohnC (3000) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - MAR 8, 2003
It looked like a glass of cloudy merlot. Huge nose & flavor of... Raspberries. These guys did this one right. It's not a beer w/ some raspberries thrown in. It's the sweet/tart taste of raspberries, that happens to be a beer. Great job.