overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1225   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale. Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth-watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

HopasaurusRex (195) - Glen Ellyn, Illinois, USA - APR 7, 2004
Just an absolutely gorgeous beer. Beautiful red color, wonderful aroma and taste-might be in a league of its own. You can't really classify it in the conventional categories-since its neither belgian in character and too fruit dominated to be a "raspberry-wheat" type thing. But it is simply marvelous. I don't know how many raspberries goes into each bottle, but it seems a bargain @ $8 a bottle. Now if it was only avail in Illinois again. Truly a beer than anyone can enjoy, from the most inexperienced beer drinker to the well traveled beer geek.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Rastacouere (6154) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - APR 4, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 26, 2005 Gorgeous.. wow.. gorgeous. An easy scored 5 for the appearance. Fully lasting full pink head over a fully opaque superbly dark body. I’m truly impressed, seduced, intrigued. Mostly sweet aroma, tempting, you can’t tire of it, you can’t get your nose out of that glass. I love raspberries and I’m all set for the cruise. This starts with a pure raspberries attack, will your defenses hold? You bet, keep them coming, hell yeah, I want more. After a few sniffs, you start to grasp the necessary subtlety for a perfect 10 in the aroma department. Vanilla accompanies these stellar fresh fruits and who says vanilla often says woody touch which is also true here. First beer that makes me say: "I know what I’m smelling for breakfast tomorrow". People are not kidding when they say you taste the seeds, you almost feel them between your teeths. Marvellously crafted fruit beer, perhaps even better than a personal favorite: Quelque Chose. I can’t believe a beer to be so full-flavoured at 4% ABV. Unique creation which can only be rivalled by New Glarus Belgian Red and as MartinT points out, once you’re there, it’s really only a matter of preferring cherries over raspberries or vice-versa. On parallel, I personally prefered the raspberry tart which seems to have more acidity (although it still could have used a bit more imo). This is the best single focus on one flavor I’ve encountered in my young life, this extreme sweetness never appears cloying, nor syrupy nor fake. Lots of stuff going on, eminently complex, crisp and contemplative. Superb mouth-filling body with enough carbonation to detract from the never cloying sweetness. A thousand thanks Nexxus for this fine pie! Hunt this out before I do!

5000 (6300) - Hardened Liver, Washington, USA - MAR 29, 2004
Bottle pours deep blood red with a milky pink head.   Never would I have thought I would be having a brew this color, especially one with a PINK colored head.   Head has diminished now, lacing seems attractive.   Aroma is just heavenly, tart Raspberries, just as the label says.   As a lover of Fruit Beer, this one smells oh so inviting.   WOW!   Is this beer?!?!   Flavor is forwardly Raspberry, and not in an artificial capacity.   LORDY, Raspberry up front, Raspberry in the middle, and guess what... Raspberry in the finish.   Well balanced too... not overly sweet.   In fact, it is rather tart.   Mouthfeel is fantastic, just the right amount of carbonation.   WOW, I am taken back by how good this is!   A real big Thanks goes out to TChrome for trading this one.   I could never part with something this good!

Hildigöltur (5103) - København, DENMARK - MAR 28, 2004
I love raspberries. Very deep red coloured. Wonderful natural raspberry aroma and flavour. Very well balanced. Refreshing. Dry finish.

igneous1 (1507) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - MAR 25, 2004
purple color, can induce a short-lived purple head with a vigorous swirl. aroma is tart, yeast and berries, little vinegary, but not in an oxidized way. Hops not at all perceptible in either the aroma or flavor. Flavor is almost jam-like...thick mouthfeel. not that tart, but still damn good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - MAR 23, 2004
Wow, I think this outdoes the other frambioses I've had. Very full fresh aroma, I can't get over the freshness here, truly remarkable. The beer is deep emerald with a unusually pink head. The most interesting characteristic of the beer is probably the palate, full fresh raspberry without any sourness at all and completely zing-free. I do like the occasional razzle that some fruit beers have, but this is great. Thanks to my fabulous roomates for bringing this one home from the dairyland.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
irishsnake (355) - Oakland, California, USA - MAR 23, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 27, 2006 Holy Crap! I was expecting a lot of fruit flavor, but this is great. This pours the color of raspberry jam, with a similar nose. None of that artificial fruit smell you get in so many cheaper fruit beers. The taste is, again, raspberries, with an excellent sweet/tart balance. The finish is sweet and spritzy. Excellent beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Ungstrup (29988) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - MAR 16, 2004
A clear deep red beer sith a small off-white head. The aroma is sweet of a summers day in a raspberries scrup. The flavor is dominated by raspberries with sweetness and a slight sourness combined with a dryness that ends in a woodyness. All in all a great beer - I want more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DavidP (1747) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 7, 2004
Deep purple color with a light purple fluffy head which clings well to the glass. Has a grape jelly aroma which reminds me of the filling in a Hostess fruit pie. The taste is like a raspberry fruit pie filling but with a touch of bitterness in the finish. I think I'll be echoing the thoughts of other raters when I say that the flavor is very one-dimensional but damn good. I'm enjoying mine at room temp but I think the brewer's suggesting of a cold serving is appropriate - it would make the flavor less overwhelming and the drink more refreshing.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jzzbassman (1523) - New Albany, Mississippi, USA - MAR 2, 2004
Red with fluffy pink head. Sharp sour flavor with a clean finish. Very yummy.