overall

RATINGS: 1019   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.07   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Brewed with flaked barley and the finest Wisconsin malts. We even give a nod to our farmers with a little hint of corn. Naturally cloudy we allow the yeast to remain in the bottle to enhance fullness of flavors, which can not be duplicated otherwise. Expect this Ale to be fun, fruity and satisfying.

DrnkMcDermott's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DrnkMcDermott (2821) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - MAY 24, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 26, 2005 Bottled. This is described on the label as a "Wisconsin farmhouse ale," and indeed it seems more like a French than a cream ale. Nice looking head dissipates quickly, leaving a hazy, strawlike body. I get nice effervescence and a grapefruitty, almost sour taste. They get some props for not only admitting to using corn, but giving a reason. Corn seems to be the source of the sweetness more than the malt. Hop finish is there, but not distracting. A very pleasant experience.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
sitzds (318) - - NOV 15, 2014
12oz bottle (also sampled on draft at the airport) poured into shaker pint. Yellow and slightly cloudy body with a rocky white head. Retention is good and thereís some lacing. Aroma is of crackers, grainy malt, corn, a little lager-y fruit, and a hint of grassy hops.Taste is sweet malt, corn, and fruit with a little grassy bitterness on the finish. Medium-light body, creamy texture, average-plus carbonation, abrupt sweet finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
hotstuff (4225) - Indiana, USA - NOV 15, 2014
Rated on 01-19-2013 (Bottle) The appearance is a medium sized white head that mostly diminishes, slightly hazy pale yellow body, very fizzy carbonation, and spotty amounts of lacing. The aroma is fruity, hops, malt, and some corn. The flavor is fruity, sweet, malt, and has a semi-dry finish. The mouthfeel is light carbonation, watery and thin. This beer is light bodied This beer has a very light, thin flavor. It is a session beer.

GBRulz (3) - South Carolina, USA - NOV 10, 2014 does not count
Great beer from New Glarus. Creamy and not bitter. Wish it were a tad lighter for my personal preference. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
delnoche (453) - Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA - NOV 8, 2014
12fl oz bottle poured into a shaker. Golden with a small white cap. Aroma is grain and light citrus. The citrus notes definitely carry over to the flavor. Light and spritzy palate. Easy drinker. Great session brew. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BrewMstr (99) - Pleasant View, Utah, USA - NOV 7, 2014
Nice farmhouse ale, fruit and spice notes with a slight sour finish. Hazy gold color, slight white head. Decent.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
kenter2000 (48) - , Wisconsin, USA - NOV 6, 2014
I suspected nothing as I sipped my beer. It appeared like a normal evening and I admit I was more concerned with the television and the taste of my beer (still not sure why I bought a 6 pack of New Glarus). And though she sat nervously in the corner pink reading chair I noticed nothing. Too caught up in an episode of the Gilmour Girls. It was her show in the beginning but now I was the one deeply interested in Roryís life. Will she choose Harvard or what? Then finally, my wife spoke, "Bernard." I looked and noticed sweat pouring down her head. "Is it time, my love?" "I am afraid so," she responded. She was breathing deeply now. I led her to the kitchen table and cleared it off. She lay down at the table and waited. It would not be long now. Her nose, now noticeably longer, her fingernails too, inches in length. She was making gurgling noises and green ooze began to seep out of her eyeballs. She opened her jaw so wide that it eventually broke and rested limp on her neck. Smoke began spraying out of her gullet. I remembered this from last time and went and got my breathing mask. Her toes were becoming bright gold and her knee caps blue with pink dots. Her chest then split open and long thin spidery legs started pouring out. Her body began to deflate and out of the chest wound the little lanky creatures scuttled onto the floor. I grabbed a jar from the pantry and a hammer from the bathroom. My task was simple, I had to capture one of them and kill the rest. Otherwise my wife would multiply and I promised her I would never let that happen. Every year the same thing happened. It was a ritual, simple enough, but I took it seriously. I first captured one in a jar then began smashing. Spat, bang, slam boom! Then, back to Gilmour girls, and this mediocre beer. My wife, once fully rejuvenated, will be pleased.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
hagenwagon (10) - - NOV 1, 2014
Love it. Easy drinking beer at the lake. Great value. Value versus the other craft beers in WI.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Chad9976 (1223) - Albany, New York, USA - OCT 26, 2014
Iíd always heard New Glarus Spotted Cow was supposed to be one of the best cream ales in the country, but Iíve never been able to try it since I live in New York and they donít distribute here. Thankfully, a friend was traveling through the area and brought me back a bottle. And while Iíd say itís one of the better cream ales Iíve had, itís not quite the best of the best.

I poured a 12oz bottle into a mug. It was bottled on 8/13/14 and was given to me by a friend (thanks, Jordan!).

Appearance: Bright yellow hue, though slight hazy. Light carbonation visible. Pours to an average sized, bright white, frothy head which retains and laces fairly well.

Smell: Mild nose with hints of lemon and light grain. No lager quality.

Taste: Cream ales tend to be rather lager-like, though the better ones tend to remind me of a kolsch (which is also a lager-like ale style). This has the lighter malt base often found in a lager, but with the more refined palette of an ale. Thereís subtle fruit notes of lemon and banana in the front, with a sweet cereal taste lurking in the background throughout. Thatís the corn, which also creates for a slight metallic or astringent character on the finish, though itís clean (unlike so many macro lagers). This is a fine, satisfying palette and probably to-spec as far as style goes. Itís not amazingly delicious, but itís definitely satisfying.

Drinkability: A beer like this is what youíd want in warmer weather or when you just want something easy to drink. The mouthfeel is thin, but calm, with a smooth, creamy texture and clean aftertaste. At only 5.1% ABV, New Glarus Spotted Cow is maybe a tad higher than it needs to be, but still light enough in body that no oneís going to have trouble putting back a few of these.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
slowrunner77 (6019) - Reno, Nevada, USA - OCT 14, 2014
"pretty mild lactose & corn aroma. itís got a smooth body and flavor but par for the style-nothing that really jumps out at you. probably the weakest in the NG line, but i bet itís a hit with recent macro converts. Very good for a cream ale, pretty good overall."

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
decaturstevo (5198) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - OCT 12, 2014
Gold pour with white head and lace. Aroma is sweet corn and light touch o malt. Light sweet corn with a touch of earthy hops. A touch o spice from the hops too. Medium body with ok carbonation. Ok ca