New Glarus Symposium Eisbock

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 21   MEAN: 3.69/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.47   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This beer is handcrafted with dark malts employing a double decoction mash, frozen lager, and then resting three months in our cellars.

badgerben's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
badgerben (4400) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - JAN 16, 2013
Tasted 1/13/13. Courtesy of Skyview. Many thanks! Dark brown color with no head. Big aroma of brown sugar. Strong, malt flavor with a lot of brown sugar. Light metalic notes and a bit of aged soy sauce character. Quite dry. Tastes like a hybrid of an aged Ayinger Celebrator and a JW Lees Harvest Ale on its way to 20 years.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Skyview (5209) - Papoose Jct, Minnesota, USA - FEB 24, 2013
For review #5,000, this milestone beer had an interesting story of how it was acquired in the first place. When I attended the Great Taste of the Midwest 2012, I was disenchanted as I noticed my favorite food vendor, Baumgartnerís, didnít set up a food stand at the festival. Whatís this? No Wisconsin limburger cheese on rye with red onions, and a bottle of Blumers root beer for lunch this year? We canít have that! This was the first time in ten years Baumgartnerís didnít show up and I had to modify my festival routine this year.

Well, a few weeks later, I stopped at Baumgartnerís in Monroe while visiting the southwest breweries of Wisconsin. As I was writing a few beer reviews on my iPad, a gentleman sitting next to me noticed me updating ratebeer database and started a conversation with me about some of the historical breweries of Wisconsin. I would never turn down an opportunity to archive more beer history so we talked for over an hour. During our conversation, he said he used to work for New Glarus Brewing Company. He also mentioned that he still had a bottle of New Glarus Symposium Eisbock in his cellar. I asked him what would it take for me to purchase the bottle of New Glarus Symposium Eisbock from him? He said "Buy me a round of beer and itís yours." He came back 20 minutes later and handed me the bottle (the one featured in this profile page). Not only did I bought him a round of beer, I bought him lunch and three rounds of beer for his generosity.

A month later I stopped at Baumgartnerís again and the gentleman was there too. I bought him two more rounds of beer. So when you are visiting breweries and writing beer reviews, always make time to talk to curious people who are observing what you are doing. Youíll never know what they may offer you.

From a 12-oz bottle pours a hazy dark yellowish brown colored brew with no head, yet a thin beige film top slowly dissipates. Aroma of brown sugar, a hint of soy and mild raisin and dark pitted fruit. Taste is medium to full bodied, very little carbonation if any with flavors of powdery roasted dark malts, raisin, brown sugar some prune and toffee. Finish is quite smooth, a tad on the sweet side with aftertastes if oxidized caramel malts, brown sugar and a touch of soy. Everything I expected from a 12-year old bottle of Eisbock.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
MrPickles (438) - Waunakee, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 2, 2012
Bottle shared by BenC...thanks Ben! I didnít rate this as it is almost too hard to rate. 11 years old and it did show, but you can still pick up on all the fine points of this brew. Wish I could have had this one fresh, but so glad that I got to try this!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Beerman6686 (4346) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 28, 2011
This poured a murky brown color with a biege head. Aroma was lots na d lots of cardboard, some caramel, and mint too. Flavor was sticky sweet, very oxidized cardboard and mint with very light roast too. Definitely gone.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
cheap (4054) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 26, 2011
Had this at the 2011 Pittsburgh Ratebeer Christmas Eve Eve Tasting. Since there are only a few ratings for this rare beer, I will not mention who gave it to me. I will spare him the fun hatemail. First I want to say that I never ever dreamed i would have a chance to taste this. Yes the aroma is a bit oxidized, but what would you expect? A little rosey looking in the glass. No way am I tasting a beet that is 11 years old, how could this be? Totally flat, more like a PA state store produdct than a beer, is this an aperitif? Very strong but uniquely has a somewhat slight watery finish, not viscous at all. Yes, stong liqour finish fer sure.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
MrChopin (3280) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - DEC 24, 2011
tepid chestnut, hazy, thin white ring. Nose is oxidized, caramel, date, light apple and tooth pick. Flavor is light caramel and cherry, heavy oxidation, light paper in finish, more toasted malt. Body is supportive of this, but if not for sweetness, this would be unbearable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
lithy (2996) - Capital of Appalachia, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 23, 2011
Dark brown-lots of orange edges and beige head. Aroma is loads of cardboard, oxidized, loads of caramel. Taste is a bit thin, lots of toffee, caramel. Definitely old, interesting to try. Many thanks BenC.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
madvike (2729) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 22, 2011
Bottle generously shared by BenC...thanks Ben! - Pour mahogany with a thin off-white head. Warming booze on the nose, but not very pungent. Dark fruits and sweet dark malt, but very muted. Gets better as it warms. Taste is much more pungent, with lots of raisins, sweet plum, bourbon, and dark bread malt--still very rich. A bit of an abrupt finish with some buttery sweetness and sharp bitter malt, but otherwise very pleasant. Medium body, a bit thinner than I would have imagined, but I guess thatís what 11 years will do to a beer. Wow...another one I would have loved to have fresh.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
kp (10886) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - SEP 1, 2007
Date: 12/05/2003
Mode: Bottle
Source: Tasting

dark amber, rich sweet malt aroma and flavor, rich like a barleywine, nice balancing bitter finish, hot alcohol essence,
-------- /> Date: 05/10/2006
Words: Bottle
Words: Tasting

clear dark brown, whispy beige head, touch of drippy lace, huge rich sweet malt aroma with hints of dark fruit, big body at first but ends up very thin, sticky sweet malt flavor, well balanced with an earthy hop quality, good ripe fruit quality, long light bitterness in the finish, touch of oxidation shows after a while

Aroma: 8/10; Appearance: 8/10; Flavor: 8/10; Palate: 6/10; Overall: 17/20
Rating: 4/5.0
Drinkability: 6/10
Score: **4

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Mangino (1027) - Mississippi, USA - OCT 4, 2006
Degarth is the man for trading me this bottle. Dark copper body Fairly see through. The aroma shows signs of oxidation as does the body, but seems to be very well under control for a brew thats sat in the bottle 6 years. Flavor is filled with dark fruit, the alcohol has subsided and blends nicely with the other components. Lacks the palate of other eisbocks Iíve had, not sure if this has to do with the age. Either way its damn good and would drink it again if the chance presented itself.