New Glarus Tail Wagger

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 183   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 294   ABV: 9.8%
Barley Wines are big beers! In fact this is the strongest beer we have ever brewed for our friends here in Wisconsin. This beer is "malt accented" so we searched the world and found the richest, most expensive barley varieties we could find. We bought the best barley available not only here in the United States but in Belgium, Germany and Scotland. You can thank Scottish farmers for growing Golden Promise barley because we used bushels of it in this beer to yield a full and rich flavor. We sourced hops from the United States and Germany but again turned to the UK for our signature hop, "East Kent Golding". This ale is fermented in this bottle and is suitable for laying down. It is so strong that we guess it will continue to improve for years!

TheEnemy (562) - Chicago, USA - OCT 6, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 14, 2006 Clear dark auburn color which produces a thick, tightly packed head that leaves lots of lace on the sides of the glass. Pleasant dried fruit and sweet malt aroma with a touch of yeast nutiness. Sweet malt dominates the flavor with some support from hop bitter and dried fruit. Alcohol shows up later and becomes a bit rough. Strong, bubbly palate. Fine effort.<P>Re-rate June 14 2006: After 8 months of cellaring, not much has changed except that the alcohol character has smoothed out a bit, making a charming American barleywine even better. Rating moved up from 3.9 to 4.0 based on a one-point improvment in flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
badgerben (4386) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - OCT 5, 2005
Dark copper color with a thin head that vanishes quickly. Light, sweet malt aroma. Sugary taste, ladden with alcohol and a light variety of malt. The hops are nowhere to be found. Caramel and toffee notes. Should benefit from aging.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hezron (610) - Viroqua, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 4, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 17, 2005 Bottle, served in my worthy glass at 55F. Light bready caramel aroma with some dried fruit (figs), floral hops. Bright amber-copper in color with a small head that mostly fades, leaving only a little ring around the edge. Sweet caramel flavor initially then some dried fruit sensations which change into a warming floral bitterness rising into the back of my nose. The flavors are good, but not well blended, perhaps age will help. Full bodied with a nice creamy feel to it. Overall, this is my kind of barleywine: sweet and malty, not too bitter.

Working on my second six pack of this and it is really growing on me. A few bottles have been noticeably hoppier than others and last night I noticed some smoked, charcoal flavor. I rarely drink this much of the same beer and it is making me think twice about rating 2oz samples.