Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 542   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
This is Dan’s Gold Medal winning "Unplugged Cherry Stout." This ale is aged in Oak barrels to promote the spontaneous fermentation. Eight Wisconsin malted barleys combined with Wisconsin Montmorency Cherries make for a complex and sublime taste experience that you may never find again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
demolayfire (18) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUN 16, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 2, 2006 Drank this at a recent tasting with Perkeo and chriso420 and it was easily my favorite with the Eisphyre coming in a close second. I must admit I’m a sucker for brett beers, and this is no exception. I did wonder what exactly qualified this as a stout considering the color and body, but no matter. Sour cherries, brett funk, oak, a slight stale quality that reminded me of an old paperback, and a noticeable medicinal taste. Confounding and wonderful at the same time!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
daveco67 (18) - Marion, Iowa, USA - AUG 8, 2006
Not much head on this one, but when it was there it had a dark red hue. Bubbly head almost spritzer like. Now I wouldn’t say this is a stout, it sure is tasty. A wonderful cherry taste that is nicely balanced with the chocolate malt. It doesn’t have much body but it is one of the better beers that I have had lately. Found this in a little local bar in New Glarus called Sportsman’s Bar & Grill. This place had the only Unplugged series in town. Great place to get a good cheap meal.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ninobrown (16) - USA - MAR 19, 2006
Very dark brown with a hint o’ red. Dominated by tart cherry flavor and scent. Probably a bit unbalanced/ lacking in beer characteristics. Quite good, though, and better than many fruit "beers."

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
frisbe60 (14) - Spring Green, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 19, 2006
From the bottle bought at the brewery. Appearance is dark with a slight red tint. Head was about 1/2 inch but fell quickly. I don’t taste anything similar to a stout, only cherries. I think it might be their belgian red with darker grains.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Stensler (14) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 3, 2010
chocolate, brown, black, red, sparkling, tan foam, light sweetness, lightly bitter, medium body, creamy, fizzy, lively, long finish. My first Unplugged this year. This is a fantastic beer. It has an almost champagne like quality. Amazing taste and a great finish. Smells and tastes of chocolate and cherries.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
stevie77 (7) - Belgium, Wisconsin, USA - APR 14, 2012 does not count
Was expecting a stout, didn’t realize it was a fruit beer. It comes across as a milder Wisconsin Belgian red, if I had to choose between the two to drink I’d go with this. Sweet, tart, cherry, thin, bubbly. I know a lot of people who like it but I’m not a fan of the style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DankBrews (6) - North Carolina, USA - FEB 26, 2010 does not count
Sweet smelling with a strong cherry smell and a hit of vanilla. Redish Black in color, sparkling with little ot no head. Sweet tasting, with light body, cherry taste, sort of like a cherry pie. Life bodies, thin, fizzy, with a nice strong sweet finish. Very drinkable for a few, a great beer to have one or two, but I could not drink it all night.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
HopFilter (6) - Lawrenceburg, Indiana, USA - SEP 1, 2012 does not count
The aroma is overwhelming with fresh cherries and a hint of fresh cut oak. The flavor is primarily of cherries but quickly dissolves into a nice palate of cherries, barley and an almost caramel tinge from the oak. Aftertaste is very smooth with a fading reminder of the, ever so delightful tartness of the fresh Wisconsin Montmorency cherries.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
AJDuhe (4) - USA - OCT 30, 2010 does not count
Poured from a 12oz bottle. Wow, I could not have been more disappointed. I know I am in the minority with this one, but this was a rare drain pour from me. Neither me nor the person I shared with could stomach this one at all. I am a big New Glarus fan and this one missed. Nice cherry nose, but the the taste to me was all cherry medicine. I may be being a bit generous with 8 out of 20 overall, but the nose was pretty good and the appearance was average.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
brushfireantic (2) - milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 17, 2012 does not count
Surprisingly doesn’t seem like a stout taste but bold and fruity. Wish I could find it more!