overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 537   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
This is Danís Gold Medal winning "Unplugged Cherry Stout." This ale is aged in Oak barrels to promote the spontaneous fermentation. Eight Wisconsin malted barleys combined with Wisconsin Montmorency Cherries make for a complex and sublime taste experience that you may never find again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
keoki182 (305) - West Bend, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 18, 2006
I had no idea what to expect from this intriguing beer when I ordered a bottle of it in a bar in West Bend, WI. Luckily, any trepidation on my part was soon obliterated by the delicious cherry scent in the first whiff. I asked for a pint glass to pour a sample for a friend. It poured a nice dark stout color ( I couldnít tell much by the dim lighting in the bar). It looked nice and hearty, though. Now, the taste. Honestly, this would have been a good stout even without the cherry addition. But a large amount of Wisconsin cherries used in the brewing process make a very tasty brew. This wasnít that saccharine artificial cherry flavor that you find in most candies and chewing gum. These cherries are that Door County quality of sour/sweet that I love. The stout allowed woody hints to emerge as it warmed. The only think I can complain about regarding New Glarus Unplugged Edition Cherry Stout is that I only enjoyed a 12 ounce bottle. I would prefer to drink this from the keg.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Damico (2579) - Royersford, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 16, 2012
Pours unclear dark coffee in color with a smaller beige head. The aroma brings potent sweet and lightly zingy tart cherries very pleasant and prevalent in the nose. The flavor brings the cherry notes as a backbone over the roasted malts, but they blend well nicely. The Wisconsin cherries are sweet with a very smooth tangy tartness that I prefer over the Michigan cherries.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
NYHarvey (2153) - New York, New York, USA - APR 8, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 28, 2006 Oct. 28, 2006 Re-Rate: <P> Still has that decaying orange pulp aroma with big whiffs of oak though it seems pretty dusty now. The head this time around is limper and doesnít last as long. Still tastes perfect...tart cherries, overripe orange pulp, vanilla, oak, white cake, chocolate, cocoa and a tongue prickling tartness in the finish. The look and aroma might have slid slightly, but the flavor might even be getting better...though 10 is as high as I can give it. <P> Original Rating was 4.7 <P> Courtesy of The_Enemy. Thanks, Brian <P> Aroma holds an overripe slightly sour smell that I associate with rotting oranges, but that I assume to be cherries. The oak aroma is definitely alive in there as well. My first impression from the aroma is that it smells like an orange laced Flemish Sour which is intruiging. <P> Color is dark brown to black and the head is tan and diminished quickly to a dime thin affair. <P> Mmmm lots of tart cherry in the fore then very quickly you taste sweet cherry notes and then just as quickly chocolate malts play across the tongue. Very fast transitions of flavors. A sort of cake/eclair pastry like sweet and wholesome flavor flows from the middle to the finish. I swear I taste hints of over ripe orange juice and vanilla, but itís probably the combined oak/sour cherry flavors merging to suggest that vanila flavor. The chocolate asspect seems to become less pronounced as it warms and more of the sourness and cherry comes through, though it never completely fades...it mostly just slides further back in the order and so you get more chocolate in the finish. Vanilla notes also come out as it warms along with more of the oak. <P> For a fruit beer it has quite a nice mouthfeel. I have to say I am pretty floored. This was much better than I thought it would be. NG is just a fantastic brewery.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jewedekind (450) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 3, 2006
Pours a rich brown froth that dissipates leaving a gloppy lace. Color is a superb rich chesnut brown, very dark but not opaque. A wonder of flavors. Fruitier than most cherry stouts, but expertly done. Afew early mettalic notes, but they disappeared once it got a chance to breathe. The cherries here are so distinctive to New Glarus, very rich-flavored and very tart. Not really stout-like, or porter-like, so a point subtracted there. Iíd call it a íCherry Brown". Really nice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ElGaucho (2208) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - MAY 12, 2006
Bottle. Thanks to Badgerben for the opportunity. Aroma is simply phenomenal. From the folks that brought us Belgian Red, I shouldnít be surprised that they nailed another Cherry beer...and I donít like cherries. Smells like I remember the Belgian Red, but perhaps with more malt. Actually kind of reminds me of the cherry equivalent of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock in the nose. Clear dark mohagany in which you can only see the carbonation when held closely to the light. Thin, tight bubble, tan head. Attractive brew. This is the fourth beer Iíve had in my new Hacker Pschorr Weisse glass (yes, I know, not proper glassware for the style, but Iím in housing limbo right now) and no lace to speak of. Either itís the glass, or more likely the Palmolive Oxy detergent I used to wash it. Tart, but not as tart as I recall the Belgian Red to be. Also not nearly as carbonated a mouthfeel as the BR. This brew works better for me as I like the interplay of the chocolate malts and the cherries. Itís a lovely combination that works oh so well.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Duellist17 (34) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 11, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 24, 2007 Man, this beer is HUGE. Its one step shy of being syrup. A huge cherry taste with a huge boquet. Slightly smokey aftertaste. One of the best Unplugged beers in my opinion.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Getbetter (839) - East Palo Alto, California, USA - MAY 16, 2010
thanks to Hophead22 for the tasting.From a 12oz bottle,Dark red in color,smells and tastes like cherries,thin white head.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Slipstream (2026) - USA - JUL 4, 2010
A big hearty thanks to my cousin for a bottle of this Wisconsin nectar! He said I would love this, and he was right on. My 1000th rating is coming up soon, and I wish I had saved it for that. Interesting label notes thank the drinker for supporting the brewing arts that went into this handcrafted, limited release. "Drink indigenous" says the secret message on the cap. The aroma is floral, sour-sweet cherry juice. The flavor is even better - lots of fresh from the orchard cherry juice, along with smoky malt (8 types), brown sugar, lime, and a light touch of drying hops. Wow. Wow - amazing beer! One of the best, i.m.o. It is more like a strong American fruit ale than a stout. Fresh, earthy, and full of natural flavor. Unplugged Cherry Stout is a great brew, maybe even the best I have had from this superb brewery. Hats off to Daniel Carey and the rest of New Glarus for this and their other "unplugged" brews.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Pastor (796) - Skowhegan, Maine, USA - OCT 3, 2010
Thanks to Justin for sending this my way. I poured it into a snifter and it produce a short lived tan head that faded away to a thin lace. The body of the brew was dark brown in color. It has a huge cherry nose on it and the chocolate roast was awesome. It was like a great box of cherry chocolates which have been a favorite of mine since childhood. The flavor was more of the same sweet and tart cherry and chocolate goodness. A great brew I wish I had more. I hope this makes it to the normal rotation it was to good. I shed a man tear as the last sip passed thru my lips thinking I may never see this brew again

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jgb9348 (4740) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - APR 20, 2013
Clear cola coloured body with a brownish tint and a thin, one centimetre tall light brown head. Aroma of pure cherries, fresh, sour, pungent - cherries, from the top of the bottle cap to the whole of the glass - that is an amazing and almost fake smelling beer! Medium to Full-bodied; Strong cherry flavour with a lot of sugars, a good malt backbone and a hint of oak and yeast in the back of the flavour. Aftertaste is long lasting, hitting some sour notes from the cherries, a bit of a effervsence hiding some malt, a lot of oak, bunches of sweetness and more cherries than Iíve tasted in most beers! Overall, simply a great beer, but coming from the brewery, youíd pretty much expect that, but this is above that, and quite simply one of the best beers Iíve had recently. Not as great as Belgian Red, but this was a different beer altogether; Cannot be missed - if you see this, buy it, now. I sampled this twelve ounce bottle purchased from Discount Liqour in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on 05-September-2012 for US$2.99 sampled at home in Washington on 20-April-2013.