New Glarus Unplugged Imperial IPA

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 193   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
"Some people paint, some sing, others write...I brew." --Daniel Carey A few times a year we will cut Dan loose to brew whatever he chooses, uncensored, uncut, unplugged. The bottle you hold is handcrafted for the adventurous soul. We brewed this one small batch, and make no promises to ever brew this style again. Warning: Caution. Our Imperial IPA will smack you In-Your-Face. This is an aggressively hoppy IPA. An explosion of hops including East Kent Golding, Cascade, Tomahawk, Warrior and Chinook dominate this pale summer brew. IBUs delivered like youíve never enjoyed before. Our imperial IPA is alive with a bottle fermentation that catapults hop aromas to the front with bitter notes that will dance till dawn on your palate. Serve immediately at 45 degrees F. Thanks for Supporting the Arts. --Daniel & Deborah Carey

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 6, 2005
Clear pale orange in color with a head that looks like melting ice on a pond. Aroma is honeydew, hop bouquet, orange rind, grass stains and a squeeze of lemon. Nice smelling, but fairly subdued for the category. Flavor has pineapple and grapefruit leading the way. Honeyed, sugar sweetness in line with nectarines and apricots. Really tasty and easy to take on; a 12 oz. bottle wonít take long to take care of. Light and smooth bodied with some hop stops on the palate along the way. Tingly, citrus hops are met with a mild malt complexity. Finish is sugar sprinkled grapefruit.

My overall take-away is that this is perfectly in line with its release date - a summer version of an Imperial IPA, meaning that itís lighter, without that "hit you in the face" bitterness," which leads to a bit of a conundrum for my overall opinion (standing on its own, itís a very good beer, but put against other I2PAs, itís a little light.)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
hezron (610) - Viroqua, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 5, 2005
Always fun to try new beer from New Glarus, glad I found this one today. Aroma of grapefruit, pine and lemon grass. Nice and fruity. Orange color with a thin white head that diminishes, typical of New Glarus. Good initial flavors of sweet malt then it quickly changes to a warming and lightly bitter orange and pine-grass. Not too bitter at all, very fruity. Medium-full body with a creamy texture and a dry, metallic finish. It does leave your tongue a little numb. Overall it is pretty good, Iím enjoying it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
tomxcs (321) - Berkeley, California, USA - JUN 3, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 5, 2005 Iíve had two already in celebration of my birthday. This beer is nothing like I thought it would be but quite good. First off, it pours a very pale, light golden color, with a small white head. Just a hint of orange color in the body. I drank this one rather warm, so I got a big, complex nose right off the bat. Aroma of heavy orange oil, pineapple, cashew fruit juice, a little grass, and the slightest hint of christmas trees with a little EtOH thrown in. Sweet orange and thick malty tastes; huge hoppiness without extreme bitterness. Dry, with a full body. Iím not sure if my tongue is numb from all of the hops or because of the alcohol. Huge fruitness. This is a big, beautiful, subtly assertive beer and my kind of IPA -- I am waiting for another few months to have another and re-rate to see how this one progresses.