New Glarus Unplugged Sour Brown Ale

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 209   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.65   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Generally available to the exclusive few who travel off the beaten path of Belgium this is truly a sour ale. A ridiculously long lager in in our oak casks elevates rich round caramel malts backed with distinctive tart notes.

Budrulzall (3) - USA - JUN 30, 2005 does not count
initial smell is like stale beer, but in a good way. very sour and taste goes well with the aroma. Very tasty and refreshing

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
lilannie (384) - Adamstown, Maryland, USA - JAN 15, 2005
Aroma: cinnamon, pineapple, coconut, spiced rum, cream, pears, and sugar
Appearance: murky brown, creamy head, lacing
Flavor: brown sugar, pineapple, coconuts, cream, spiced rum, some spicy bananas, and cinnamon/sugar
Palate: very smooth and creamy, slight tart bite
Overall: Excellent, very yummy--like drinking a pina colada!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
juliejalapeno (16) - USA - SEP 4, 2005
i love this beer. smells faintly of sourcream and lemons. very tasty, reminds me pleasantly of sourdough bread. nice medium body-not too thin or too thick. Great for a hot day.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
pkbites (693) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 25, 2005
Bottle. Pours a thick cloudy brown, very much like the naughty version of homemade apple cider. Crackly, crinkly effervescents talks to you, doubly daring you to take a sip. You have to be double dared because the aroma SCREAMS sour! You can actually smell the sourness. First sip is like a spoonful of lemon juice & Miricle Whip. Sour-N-tangy, yet slightly wheaty, malty, & hoppy. The malt sticks to the sides of your cheeks, while the sour hops slither down your throat. This is not a brew you could drink a whole lot of in one sitting. But for an occassional sipper it is absolute, mad scientist style genius!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
JMerritt (1813) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - OCT 5, 2005
GABF 2005. Very hazy brownish orange with a thick, light-brown head. BIG sour aroma, mixed with some wood glue, oak, and sour cherries. Such a lot of sourness in this, it is quite delicious. Puckeringly good. I went back for 3 or 4 samples, I think this was the highlight of the festival for me. Flemish Sour Ales are quickly becoming a favorite of mine.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Styles (2014) - Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA - APR 22, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 15, 2006 Bottles courtesy of Footbalm and Ughsmash. Medium brown, copper highlights to light, with just a ring of bubbles. Man has this beer improved with time. Rate dthe original a 3.5. This is nowhere near that! Aroma full of that NG cherry characer. Sour and tart, musty with wood tannins. Borderline 10 for aroma! Flavor agan has tons of that cherry character you are used to from the Red. So strong it sits heavy on the stomach. Some sweet malt shows up through the middle, with just the slightest wood tannins in the finish. Perfect oily body/mouthfeel. Man am I glad I was able to try this again. Dan Carey you are the man!!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
badbeer (434) - Iowa, USA - DEC 23, 2007
July 2, 2006 Found some more of this and thought I would give it another chance now that my palate has experienced many different beers. Pours a pretty nice copper to brown color with a cream colored head that dissipated but left a ring around the glass and some lacing. Smells of sour and rotten fruit. Seems to have both a cherry and apple twang to it, very nice. Very complex taste with different fruits, there is definately an apple ciderish flavor in here as well, with a lingering sour apple cider finish. Medium amounts of soft carbonation trickles over the tongue paired with a light body. That seemed to be just about right for me. Iím very glad I gave this another try, I will be trying to get more if I can, I find it hard to believe I didnít care for this before. Original Review: Reviewing from notes, this was my first of this style of beer, and I wish I could get more to re-review as I believe I would appreciate it much more at this time. Anyways, on to the review. Beer poured an murky brown, with a head that quickly dissipated. Smell was sour and of rotten fruit. Taste is sour, but also has a sweetness to help balance, as well as some buttery tones. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. At the time of review this was of average drinkability, but I believe I would enjoy this much more now.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
Erdinger2003 (127) - West Union, Iowa, USA - JAN 2, 2008
Pours a good head over 1/4 inch head and then falls into almost nothing. No lacing to speak of and the color is a clear dark ruby/burgundy. Taste is slightly sweet and a beautiful fruity tartness. I wish I would have had a case of this so I could drink this all the time. Itís great!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
CanIHave4Beers (3321) - Pouring Bus, Iowa, USA - JAN 10, 2009
Notes from a tasting at my house a couple months ago. Pours a Reddish brown, carbonation is farily still. Aromas of Apple, Oak, som e brown sugar, fairly funky. Flavor is fairly reminicent of wine, some notes of sour cherries, a light toastyness, generally dry and fairly crisp.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
jarlbartar (89) - Janesville, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 6, 2007
This is my favorite beer, so the ratings may be a little skewed. Pours a rich amber with a thin head with an aroma of oak and fruit with lots of brett. I canít even describe the sublime treatment my tastebuds received upon drinking my last bottle of this (vintage 2004) very smooth with lots of sour brett and smoke. left a strong sour aftertaste on the palate, begging me to drink more.