overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1373   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
whiterabbit81 (244) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JAN 21, 2004
Wow...this is quite the brew. A beautiful ruby red color with a nice, red cream head. An explosion of flavor, somewhat tart and magnificently delicious. I'm not at all surprised there was a pound of cherries in this. Wonderful mouthfeel, apperance and flavor. A winner.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Alcoholist (570) - Peoria, Illinois, USA - JAN 19, 2004
A garnet color and explosive fruit aroma and flavor. You can really tell where the pound of cherries went. Not an every day drinker but definitely something special.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
bu11zeye (11760) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - JAN 4, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 4, 2004 (Bottle) Pours a candy pinkish red color with a medium white bubbly head. Had a rich cherry flavor. Big thanks to Dave!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
cquiroga (371) - Tujunga, California, USA - JAN 2, 2004
11/12/03. Poured out of 750 mL bottle, enjoyed in a tasting at Hi-Time Wine Cellars in Costa Mesa, CA 11/12/03. Whispy white head, edges of light tannish-pink. Opaque, pink amber body. Nice appearance, but that's not the incredible thing about this beer-- the nose is simply one of the best aromas I've ever had the pleasure to smell. If it were socially acceptable, I'd just sit around all night taking this beer in through the nose! Cherry pie. Very rich cherry and some tart cranberry in the nose, but mostly just soft, decadent cherry pie with wonderful strength and warmth. Flavor is tart cherry again, like a pie (someone said McDonald's cherry pie, but I can't be sure since I've never had it-- still, it sounded like a compliment coming from that guy). Flavor is slightly bready, full-on pie giving you a bit of the crust. Finish is very, very smooth but not quite long enough. Fantastic while it's there, but not quite enough to push it over the top. The aroma makes this beer, and everything else is just a pleasureful accompaniment to that outstanding start.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - DEC 29, 2003
While I liked this, I never expected such high ratings for it. It was a pinkish amber color with bubbles, white head. Like a sparkling rosé wine. Definite cherry aroma and flavor. Was, to me, like drinking cherry soda. Very good but not spectacular as others seem to think it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
frylock (1135) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - DEC 25, 2003
Beautiful clear ruby color with a medium white head that slowly fades away. Aroma is purely sour cherries. Excellent mouth feel. Brilliant cherry flavor. Has a slight sourness and finishes quite dry. What a wonderful creation. Thanks to captaincougar for this one.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Nuffield (3639) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - DEC 19, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 25, 2004 I really like the wax-top style. Beautiful, beautiful appearance, like fruit puree so rich in color and substance. Wonderful aroma...wonderful flavor... I won't belavor the point, except to say that I wish it had been more sour. Oh, it was wonderful. Only I was coming down with the stomach flu...what an awful night I had. Big thanks to Joe K for bringing back a bottle from Wisconsin. (rating 19 Dec 2003: 9-5-7-4-18) // Re-rate 20 Aug 04: 9-5-9-3-17...same score, I guess, but seemingly better than I remembered. Lots of Ludens!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Probiere (992) - Iowa, USA - DEC 13, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 28, 2004 I have been staring at this bottle for over a week now, willing it to open itself for me; for clumsy human hands to break the seal would surely have done irreparable harm to this delicate monster. Yeah, right. I over got my cold and thought, "Tonight's the night!" Pours a fine, small head, with continuing effervesence in the smallest bubbles I've ever seen. Looks like cherry juice; nothing spectacular. Smells. . .like cherry mountain pie on a cold night/huddled 'round a fire/home-canned bing cherries/and a dollop of sugar. Also smells faintly woody (campfire), vanilla ice cream (from the camp store), and a bit medicinal (Mom, I scraped my knee). Now that smelling this has caused me to relive portions of my childhood, I drink. Light in the mouth, but not too fizzily aggressive. Bursts of cherriness batter my brain. Little malt detectable. Finish is slightly spicy and quite tart. Leaves a stickiness but no sweetness 'round my lips. This is truly remarkable but too much for my brain to handle tonight. Capped with a wine capper and back into the fridge it goes. Next morning, I discover an added bonus: this stuff simply rocks with Christmas cookies for breakfast! My number one-hundred and a HUGE thanks to David P.!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
motelpogo (6131) - Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC - DEC 1, 2003
i cleaned my room the other day for the first time in 6 months and found my notes from tasting this a while back with duff and eczematic (the machine). plenty of marzipan, some oak and vanilla. faint tomato juice in the finish balances perfectly. even better than my own schitt kriek

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Zach Diesel (906) - Portland, Oregon, USA - DEC 1, 2003
smells like cherry sour balls, amber with a pink head, super sweet cherriness, sour and awesome, a nice compliment to thanksgiving