Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1490   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13/5   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Originally 5.1% - abv reduced to 4% sometime between 2009 and 2011.
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
MiP (14562) - Sønderborg, DENMARK - DEC 17, 2004
Bottle. Dark red/brown colour. Aroma of cherries/cherry sauce. Quite sweet, slightly acidic. Acidity burns at the back of my throat.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
IMtheOptimator (1164) - Bethel, Connecticut, USA - DEC 16, 2004
Thanks to Mr. Facto for this beer!

Pours a beautiful ruby red with a tall pink head that left a lacing on the glass. Smells of tart cherries... subtle, very refreshing. Taste... oh... my... dear... lord... this beer is amazing. Delicious cherry flavor, just a little sweet to attract you and tart enough to be crisp and unbelievably refreshing. The tartness stays with you in the finish. Shared this with three friends and we all were in agreement... this beer is delicious. Drinkability? I could drink this for breakfast, for lunch, for dinner, as a late night snack... I could drink this beer anytime. Damn it! The champagne bottle emptied way too fast! This beer makes me want to take a day trip to Wisconsin, just to pick up about 50 of these. Matt, if I ever meet you in person, I’m holding you ransom for a case of this beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
alchoholica (1) - Wisconsin, USA - DEC 13, 2004 does not count
WOW! Was the first words I spoke as I poured this beautiful beer into my tall glass. A nice colour and body, the smell reminds me of home-made Cherry pie. And the flavour is just to die for. I’ve always been a fan of Sam Adams Cherry beer, but no more. New Glarus have hands down the best I’ve ever had!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Enniskillen (2044) - Salinas, California, USA - DEC 11, 2004
Aroma is marachino cherries, cherry pie filling and crust. This aroma is a desert beer if I’ve ever smelled on. Body is ruby/brown with a nice 1/4 inch cream head. Taste is very nice, cherry pie, nice and tart with some caramel light in the background. Thanks Santa!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
HoppyBunny (88) - Temptation, Michigan, USA - DEC 8, 2004
Well what can I say, dessert in a bottle and liquid form. I drank this with a friend this weekend, and I did not want to share it. Strong cherry taste, pretty color of soft pink-red. If I did not know better I would never beleive it was a beer. Way to go!!

TheBeerGod (5686) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - DEC 5, 2004
Bottle. Courtesy of joeybgood. Pours a hazed magenta. Medium pink head. Nose is strong cherry and spice. Not unlike Quelque Chose. Taste is nice cherry (black cherry and maraschino cherry mix), light spice and some tartness. Strong fruit notes overall. Body is slightly acidic while being fairly dry and tart. Finishes with more strong cherry notes and light spice. Great beer!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - DEC 1, 2004
Well, I’m a bit surprised with this but looking at the top beers in this category (fruit beer) the number 2 and 3 beers are both New Glarus, the #1 being this bad boy. Perhaps this shouldn’t be such a surprise after tasting 2 out of the 3, both being phenomenal. As with the raspberry tart, one of the big defining characteristics of this beer is the absolute authenticity of the fruit. The deScription says over a pound of cherries is in each bottle, and despite earlier skepticism, I believe it now. The beer is intensely fogged, no doubt from all the organic residue. Full aroma of cherry followed with equally intense flavor; Flemish flair - medium tartness keeps the palate interesting but doesn’t really interfere with the flavor (I let this one sit for a year so perhaps it mellowed out a bit though). Something that may be startling out of context is the slight chalkiness in the palate - just a litle residue from the tartness that gives it a slightly chewy aspect, nice and full. A big thanks to my old roomates who managed to bring this one home from LaCrosse, great beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 29, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 25, 2005 Thanksgiving 2005.
Hazy ruby red grapefruit color with a fluffy, non-stick lacing. Aromatics accentuate the fruity nature, drawing out red currant, cherry 7-up, cherry cheesecake, red grapes and mild juniper berries. Sprits of cherry cordials is the first non-"given" flavor to register. Sweetness prevails, curtailing with a mild fruit sourness. Ruby red grapefruit compliments the heap of cherries in the sweetening aspects, not as a souring agent. Encompasing and ripe on the palate, finishing like cherry cheesecake and natural cherry sauce drizzled all over.

Thanksgiving 2004.
Very interesting. Tart. You can tell the real cherries that go into this are carefully selected. Nice hops, wheat senstation too. It’s hard to describe what this beer is like. I brought it to Thanksgiving dinner and it went really well with the turkey.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Styles (2014) - Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA - NOV 29, 2004
Pours cloudy dark reddish/brown with decent head. Aroma is sour and tart cherries. Cherries front to back in the flavor with a slighly dry sour finish. Taste like a cherry pie. 4.2 average is not worthy enough but I can see how this beer might be overwhelming to some.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
GEOBRAU (188) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - NOV 28, 2004
Bottle: Large head with a dull cloudy bronw red color. Complex flavors of cherry, prunes and slightly sour backbone balance this one of a kind beer out nicely.