Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1490   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13/5   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Originally 5.1% - abv reduced to 4% sometime between 2009 and 2011.
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
wheatbeerboy (103) - Addison, Illinois, USA - SEP 5, 2004
Very interesting brew. This is my first time sampling a fuit beer. Tastes like a lambic beer, wine & cherry soda all rolled into one. Perfect blend of sweet & tartness with a semi-dry finish on the palate. This brew has a wonderful cherry aroma and is very "rich" tasting. I wouldn’t want to drink this all of the time because it’s a little too heavy for me, but other than that this is an excellent and very unique tasting beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - SEP 5, 2004
The first time I sampled this brew was a blind taste test vs. Cantillion at a local bowling alley/restaurant/theater/music venue/beer and wine bar. NG came out on top! Color is a rich, ripe, bright cherry red, with a short and soon departed head. Aroma is in a class of it’s own: absolutely gorgeous! Rich, delicious, vinous, sweet, and sour, the perfect picture of cherries! It’s utterly wonderful, and a joy to drink in deep with the nose! On the palate, other tranformations occur: WOW! Dazzling, uplifting, and lovely! By tranformative, I mean that something new occurs in me, I am 100% happier by drinking this elixir, my mood is elevated, every atom has an energized attitude! Several waves of sensation occur throughout the consumption of this ale, it jumps and jiggers in the mouth, surges in and sallies out. The taste continues, and the feeling wells up in and rides over every square inch of the body that is apt to perceive sensation! Finish is a bit tartish, but what do you want, it’s cherries, man! Wow...this was perfect, and I felt that the 750 ml wax finshed bottle was a bit stingy! Hook me up to a keg of this stuff!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
beerledgend (1196) - Waterloo, Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - SEP 5, 2004
Red in colour with thick white head. Big cherry aroma and bitter cherry tatse, followed by metalic mouthfeel. I have decided the cherrys are only good with coconut and choclate and called "Cherry Ripe"!!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - AUG 31, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 22, 2004 Bright cherry red with a small pinkish head. Poured a bit thick, which made me think this was going to be a sweet thing I wouldn’t want. Aroma is tangy cherry with mellow maltiness. The flavor of fresh cherries just jumps out at you. I mean the whole cherry, stems, pits, dirt, skin, everything. There is a bitterness to offset all of these cherries, that makes it a bit sour and dry. Noting to complain about. After having this stuff a few times, I’ve had to lower my rating a little. The last two bottles have tasted like cherry pie filling. Just too sweet.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
balke13 (156) - MIssoula, Montana, USA - AUG 30, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 11, 2005 this beer not only makes me proud to be a Wisconsinite but also reminds me how great of a state WI is for food, beer, and many other things. this beer pours a deep, rich red color with an absolutely amazing aroma of sweet cherries...the flavor is packed with cherries, but perfectly balanced, not generic tasting!!!! well balance carbonation and sweet, silky finish....one of the best beers i have ever had.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
zathrus13 (1741) - Mount Laurel, New Jersey, USA - AUG 23, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 2, 2007 Pours red/brown, with a small, white head. Aroma is cherry pie and/or cherry danish. Taste is also cherry pie...very intense cherry favor that turns a little sour and dry at the end. This is truly amazing. Like drinking a cherry pie. Thanks to footbalm for this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
joeycapps (1468) - Waterdown, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 23, 2004
Cloudy rusty red. Creamy light beige head w/ slight reddish hue. Excellent lace. Robust aroma of black cherries & cinnamon rolls. Thick, syrupy feel. Complex black cherry flavour w/ undertones of iron, wood, &, yes, cinnamon rolls. Lightly sour w/ a semi-dry finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - AUG 22, 2004
Poured cherry red with thin red head...smelled of butter and pastry...tasted rich and delicious...I don’t like cherries and I don’t like fruit beer, for that matter I don’t like sweet things....this was great...I couldn’t drink more than 1 glass, but it tasted like a cherry fried pie...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 16, 2004
Aromas of umm.... lets see.....Ummm......CHERRIES!!!! This has the most insane aroma of fresh cherries and the flavor is the same. Although a little life saver like, the flavor is still amazing. Probably the best fruit beer one can have.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Kalli (502) - Falun, SWEDEN - AUG 14, 2004
Wild, great aroma, but not really to my taste. Lots of berries, not much grain. Hints of lactics in the finish? Very cool, but not really my style.