overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1416   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Silphium (3167) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - OCT 19, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 8, 2007 Re-rate based on several bottles since my original tasting back in the early days! Repeated sips have really demonstrated how phenomenal this beer is, one of the best available malt beverages on the market. The sour cherry, oak, and sharp carbonation combine for an experience unrivaled in this style. Buy yourself a case.

Rating #300
My favorite beer at the Fort Wayne tasting. Poured cloudy orange-red-brown, with an off-white head. Three distinct aromas: cherry, cherry, and cherry. Flavor was dominated, as expected, by these very cherries, although the fruitiness was nicely balanced by cinnamon and woodiness. The palate was remarkable- this is the smoothest fruit beer (OK- I see this is a Flemish Sour...) I’ve tried, and the carbonation perfectly complemented the slightly sour, spicy flavor. Remarkable. Original rating: 8-4-8-4-17 (4.1)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
fly (1417) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - OCT 14, 2003
Having any respect for this at all comes from much tasting of the other New Glarus products and comments from those I respect here. I understand that this has or does change (?). Based solely upon the tastes I had (many over three days, both at GABF and at Falling Rock) all were sticky sweet, as if a jar of jam had been used. Completely unbalanced, over the top candy sweet and I couldn't see beyond that. So long as I see that people here haven't given up on this one I will attempt to find again at another point for rethinking.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 10, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 6, 2009 Pretty ruby red color, suprisingly long lasting head, cherry vanilla aroma,a very very sour cherry taste, had a thickness to it. I prefer the Lindemans Kriek

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brodie (540) - Blowing Rock, North Carolina, USA - OCT 10, 2003
Wow! I did about $150 worth of exercise testing for a friend, and as a gift he brought be back a bottle of this from Wisconsin. I think I came out on top. The commercial description is dead on, so I'm not going to just repeat it in my own words. The balance on this beer is perfect.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Syd (921) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - OCT 3, 2003
UPDATED: APR 26, 2008 Pours a hazy burnt red (sort of fall colors like) with a good head of off white foam - nice lace. The aroma is that of (you guessed it) cherries. The flavor is so well balanced - not too sweet, not too tart, just right! The cherries taste like sour cherries. The mouth feel is rich but refreshing. Wow, I could drink a bunch of this! My opinion is that in order to get the real sour effect, drink this one well chilled. Liquid cherry pie.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
3fourths (8032) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - SEP 29, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 19, 2012 soft glowing ruby hue. Smells like cherry pop tarts - a mixture of bread, sugar and fruit. Excellent aroma. Texture of a bold cola. This may have killed by palate at the GABF. Intense sweetness, and very flavorful.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
rosebud (47) - Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA - SEP 26, 2003
I can't help it, I love this beer. A friend of mine brought home a three gallon keg of this beautiful beer! I was like drinking liquid cherry pie. Why oh why do they limit distribution to WI when they're are so many of us who want to enjoy this beer! WI must grow the best cherries. The oakiness comes through with every sip. Beautiful reddish-brown head and lace in the glass which stays from start to finish. This is a beer definitely worth persuing, especially since rumor has it that Kasteel is no longer going to be making their red any more. Truly an amazing beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
brownaler (378) - Topsail Beach, North Carolina, USA - SEP 21, 2003
I don't tend to like fruit beers, but damn! Just pure cherry at its best. Forgive me for not being more descriptive, but this is one of the last beers I've sampled.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - SEP 16, 2003
Perfect aroma full of cherries...I can't imagine a more perfect cherry aroma. The color was an almost opaque reddish brown with a small beige head that left plenty of lace down the glass. The flavor was tart, sour, with a solid cherry core. The feel was very wet, carbonated, slightly heavy. Amazing beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - AUG 27, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 3, 2005 Opaque red-brown-orange color. Cherry taste is near perfect, not too tart and not too sweet (hey- that’s a lemonade commercial!) The nose is more of the little bar cherries that garnish drinks, like Drew says, maraschino. (we sampled this at the same time). Carbonated, and the wonderful "cherriness" of this brew is not too much.