overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1413   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brodie (540) - Blowing Rock, North Carolina, USA - OCT 10, 2003
Wow! I did about $150 worth of exercise testing for a friend, and as a gift he brought be back a bottle of this from Wisconsin. I think I came out on top. The commercial description is dead on, so I'm not going to just repeat it in my own words. The balance on this beer is perfect.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Syd (921) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - OCT 3, 2003
UPDATED: APR 26, 2008 Pours a hazy burnt red (sort of fall colors like) with a good head of off white foam - nice lace. The aroma is that of (you guessed it) cherries. The flavor is so well balanced - not too sweet, not too tart, just right! The cherries taste like sour cherries. The mouth feel is rich but refreshing. Wow, I could drink a bunch of this! My opinion is that in order to get the real sour effect, drink this one well chilled. Liquid cherry pie.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
3fourths (7979) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - SEP 29, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 19, 2012 soft glowing ruby hue. Smells like cherry pop tarts - a mixture of bread, sugar and fruit. Excellent aroma. Texture of a bold cola. This may have killed by palate at the GABF. Intense sweetness, and very flavorful.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
rosebud (47) - Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA - SEP 26, 2003
I can't help it, I love this beer. A friend of mine brought home a three gallon keg of this beautiful beer! I was like drinking liquid cherry pie. Why oh why do they limit distribution to WI when they're are so many of us who want to enjoy this beer! WI must grow the best cherries. The oakiness comes through with every sip. Beautiful reddish-brown head and lace in the glass which stays from start to finish. This is a beer definitely worth persuing, especially since rumor has it that Kasteel is no longer going to be making their red any more. Truly an amazing beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
brownaler (378) - Topsail Beach, North Carolina, USA - SEP 21, 2003
I don't tend to like fruit beers, but damn! Just pure cherry at its best. Forgive me for not being more descriptive, but this is one of the last beers I've sampled.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - SEP 16, 2003
Perfect aroma full of cherries...I can't imagine a more perfect cherry aroma. The color was an almost opaque reddish brown with a small beige head that left plenty of lace down the glass. The flavor was tart, sour, with a solid cherry core. The feel was very wet, carbonated, slightly heavy. Amazing beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - AUG 27, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 3, 2005 Opaque red-brown-orange color. Cherry taste is near perfect, not too tart and not too sweet (hey- that’s a lemonade commercial!) The nose is more of the little bar cherries that garnish drinks, like Drew says, maraschino. (we sampled this at the same time). Carbonated, and the wonderful "cherriness" of this brew is not too much.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - AUG 24, 2003
Absolutely incredible. Aroma and main flavor influence is obviously cherry - Medium sour, perfectly balanced with sweetness - the cherries are more maraschino than bing. Subtle oak notes mixed in with spices at the finish. I thought that maybe it would become too cloying, but the balance of sourness kept that from happening. I would've liked more of this one - it quickly disappeared as it got passed around the table.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
ElGaucho (2201) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - AUG 11, 2003
Sampled at the Great Taste of the Midwest. Bountiful cherry aroma. Average sized head that disappates almost fully. V8/tomato juice appearance. Whoa! Very sweet and cloying flavor. Overly carbonated. Although this is obviously a quality beverage it is more of an alcopop than a beer and I'm frankly glad I didn't spend the good money it requires to buy one in a store!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - AUG 9, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 4, 2004 A cloudy orange red looking ale with an initially towering head that subsides rather quickly to a thin disorganized layer of froth. Outstanding aroma of whole cherries with a touch of cinniman in the mix. Has an almost full body witha tart crispness to it.Flavor is sour and crisp with a big cherry flavor and a dry mouth puckering finish. Wasn't sure what to expect with this one but am extremely pleased. A very flavorful ale and paired nicely with my gorgonzola and chicken salad.