overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1409   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
brownaler (378) - Topsail Beach, North Carolina, USA - SEP 21, 2003
I don't tend to like fruit beers, but damn! Just pure cherry at its best. Forgive me for not being more descriptive, but this is one of the last beers I've sampled.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - SEP 16, 2003
Perfect aroma full of cherries...I can't imagine a more perfect cherry aroma. The color was an almost opaque reddish brown with a small beige head that left plenty of lace down the glass. The flavor was tart, sour, with a solid cherry core. The feel was very wet, carbonated, slightly heavy. Amazing beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - AUG 27, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 3, 2005 Opaque red-brown-orange color. Cherry taste is near perfect, not too tart and not too sweet (hey- that’s a lemonade commercial!) The nose is more of the little bar cherries that garnish drinks, like Drew says, maraschino. (we sampled this at the same time). Carbonated, and the wonderful "cherriness" of this brew is not too much.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - AUG 24, 2003
Absolutely incredible. Aroma and main flavor influence is obviously cherry - Medium sour, perfectly balanced with sweetness - the cherries are more maraschino than bing. Subtle oak notes mixed in with spices at the finish. I thought that maybe it would become too cloying, but the balance of sourness kept that from happening. I would've liked more of this one - it quickly disappeared as it got passed around the table.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
ElGaucho (2193) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - AUG 11, 2003
Sampled at the Great Taste of the Midwest. Bountiful cherry aroma. Average sized head that disappates almost fully. V8/tomato juice appearance. Whoa! Very sweet and cloying flavor. Overly carbonated. Although this is obviously a quality beverage it is more of an alcopop than a beer and I'm frankly glad I didn't spend the good money it requires to buy one in a store!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - AUG 9, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 4, 2004 A cloudy orange red looking ale with an initially towering head that subsides rather quickly to a thin disorganized layer of froth. Outstanding aroma of whole cherries with a touch of cinniman in the mix. Has an almost full body witha tart crispness to it.Flavor is sour and crisp with a big cherry flavor and a dry mouth puckering finish. Wasn't sure what to expect with this one but am extremely pleased. A very flavorful ale and paired nicely with my gorgonzola and chicken salad.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
flemdawg (531) - Naples, Florida, USA - AUG 6, 2003
Very interesting indeed. This was not at all what I expected. When it came out of the bottle, the color was a reddish-orangeish color. Nice white head. Aroma was almost all cherries, and was not unexpected. The flavor was more of the same, and was quite plesant. My non-beer drinking fiance even commented on how much she liked this. I will definately be getting some of this soon.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
wilkie (1208) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - AUG 3, 2003
This is my 200th ratebeer beer via argo0 via volgon. For a second hand ratebeer beer this was interesting. Also, this beer was weird. I have never had one of these belgian sours, so I was not sure what to expect. This is what I thought. STRONG cherry aroma. I thought there was a Vic's odor factor. The flavor is sweet, very cherry, very sour. It is like some kind of cherry candy that I had when I was a child. Very fizzy, and very good. Wine like, and excellent. I like it even if it was weird. 2nd I forgot to enter #s on.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
tutal (11) - La Crescent, Minnesota, USA - AUG 2, 2003
The perfect blend of fruit and beer. The tart Wisconsin cherry flavor is very strong. The barley malt is a great compliment to the cherry. This is one of the few fruit beers that I like, let alone rave about.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kathy (241) - Washington DC, USA - AUG 2, 2003
Opaque ruby red color with moderate head that quickly dissipates. Strong cherry pie filling aroma (the cherries without the goop -- the more sour (but still quite sweet) aroma). Lovely spiced-cherry flavor. Mildly tart, but mostly sweet. Not at all cloying. The spiciness is something like ginger or coriander. It's not pronounced, but it adds a little kick of texture and complexity. Very nice beer.