overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1416   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - AUG 24, 2003
Absolutely incredible. Aroma and main flavor influence is obviously cherry - Medium sour, perfectly balanced with sweetness - the cherries are more maraschino than bing. Subtle oak notes mixed in with spices at the finish. I thought that maybe it would become too cloying, but the balance of sourness kept that from happening. I would've liked more of this one - it quickly disappeared as it got passed around the table.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
ElGaucho (2207) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - AUG 11, 2003
Sampled at the Great Taste of the Midwest. Bountiful cherry aroma. Average sized head that disappates almost fully. V8/tomato juice appearance. Whoa! Very sweet and cloying flavor. Overly carbonated. Although this is obviously a quality beverage it is more of an alcopop than a beer and I'm frankly glad I didn't spend the good money it requires to buy one in a store!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - AUG 9, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 4, 2004 A cloudy orange red looking ale with an initially towering head that subsides rather quickly to a thin disorganized layer of froth. Outstanding aroma of whole cherries with a touch of cinniman in the mix. Has an almost full body witha tart crispness to it.Flavor is sour and crisp with a big cherry flavor and a dry mouth puckering finish. Wasn't sure what to expect with this one but am extremely pleased. A very flavorful ale and paired nicely with my gorgonzola and chicken salad.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
flemdawg (531) - Naples, Florida, USA - AUG 6, 2003
Very interesting indeed. This was not at all what I expected. When it came out of the bottle, the color was a reddish-orangeish color. Nice white head. Aroma was almost all cherries, and was not unexpected. The flavor was more of the same, and was quite plesant. My non-beer drinking fiance even commented on how much she liked this. I will definately be getting some of this soon.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
wilkie (1208) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - AUG 3, 2003
This is my 200th ratebeer beer via argo0 via volgon. For a second hand ratebeer beer this was interesting. Also, this beer was weird. I have never had one of these belgian sours, so I was not sure what to expect. This is what I thought. STRONG cherry aroma. I thought there was a Vic's odor factor. The flavor is sweet, very cherry, very sour. It is like some kind of cherry candy that I had when I was a child. Very fizzy, and very good. Wine like, and excellent. I like it even if it was weird. 2nd I forgot to enter #s on.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
tutal (11) - La Crescent, Minnesota, USA - AUG 2, 2003
The perfect blend of fruit and beer. The tart Wisconsin cherry flavor is very strong. The barley malt is a great compliment to the cherry. This is one of the few fruit beers that I like, let alone rave about.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kathy (241) - Washington DC, USA - AUG 2, 2003
Opaque ruby red color with moderate head that quickly dissipates. Strong cherry pie filling aroma (the cherries without the goop -- the more sour (but still quite sweet) aroma). Lovely spiced-cherry flavor. Mildly tart, but mostly sweet. Not at all cloying. The spiciness is something like ginger or coriander. It's not pronounced, but it adds a little kick of texture and complexity. Very nice beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
baobubba (455) - Starkville, Mississippi, USA - JUL 27, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 22, 2003 Hazy raspberry with a small rose tinted head. Cherry, cherry, cherry. Quite a fantastic tart aroma of the aformentioned fruit remiscent of yogurt, or pie filling. A little bit of malt aromas come through in the form of caramelizd sugars. Starts sweet then sour and finishes sour and dry. Great stuff...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jazz88 (2556) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUL 13, 2003
Bottle. Dark cloudy reddish brown color (almost like homemade cider) with a creamy light brown and pink head. The aroma is wonderful with apples, cinnamon, and sweet cherries. I was satisfied just to keep taking in the aroma. It starts with a tart tingle on the tongue and is soon followed by the highly sweet and sour cherry. Finishing with a cinnamon and cherry aftertaste, this beer a true joy. Not as full and malty as I remember the Rodenbach beers. Thanks to my friend Todd for sending this to me from Wisconsin.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
herbjones (742) - Orange, California, USA - JUL 9, 2003
Dullish red pour with an intense pink head. Tart nose to match the flavor. Glad this was able to avoid being to soda-ish. Nice summer brew but more than one could be a bit much.