overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1447   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Nuffield (3718) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - DEC 19, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 25, 2004 I really like the wax-top style. Beautiful, beautiful appearance, like fruit puree so rich in color and substance. Wonderful aroma...wonderful flavor... I won't belavor the point, except to say that I wish it had been more sour. Oh, it was wonderful. Only I was coming down with the stomach flu...what an awful night I had. Big thanks to Joe K for bringing back a bottle from Wisconsin. (rating 19 Dec 2003: 9-5-7-4-18) // Re-rate 20 Aug 04: 9-5-9-3-17...same score, I guess, but seemingly better than I remembered. Lots of Ludens!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Probiere (992) - Iowa, USA - DEC 13, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 28, 2004 I have been staring at this bottle for over a week now, willing it to open itself for me; for clumsy human hands to break the seal would surely have done irreparable harm to this delicate monster. Yeah, right. I over got my cold and thought, "Tonight's the night!" Pours a fine, small head, with continuing effervesence in the smallest bubbles I've ever seen. Looks like cherry juice; nothing spectacular. Smells. . .like cherry mountain pie on a cold night/huddled 'round a fire/home-canned bing cherries/and a dollop of sugar. Also smells faintly woody (campfire), vanilla ice cream (from the camp store), and a bit medicinal (Mom, I scraped my knee). Now that smelling this has caused me to relive portions of my childhood, I drink. Light in the mouth, but not too fizzily aggressive. Bursts of cherriness batter my brain. Little malt detectable. Finish is slightly spicy and quite tart. Leaves a stickiness but no sweetness 'round my lips. This is truly remarkable but too much for my brain to handle tonight. Capped with a wine capper and back into the fridge it goes. Next morning, I discover an added bonus: this stuff simply rocks with Christmas cookies for breakfast! My number one-hundred and a HUGE thanks to David P.!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
motelpogo (7054) - Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC - DEC 1, 2003
i cleaned my room the other day for the first time in 6 months and found my notes from tasting this a while back with duff and eczematic (the machine). plenty of marzipan, some oak and vanilla. faint tomato juice in the finish balances perfectly. even better than my own schitt kriek

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Zach Diesel (906) - Sisters, Oregon, USA - DEC 1, 2003
smells like cherry sour balls, amber with a pink head, super sweet cherriness, sour and awesome, a nice compliment to thanksgiving

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
egajdzis (5436) - Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 30, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 3, 2004 Poured a copper, amber color with a small slightly off white head. Aroma of sweet fresh cherries. Taste is sour cherries, alittle yeast, but the cherries are extremely fresh! Hey, I may need another one of these

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JK (4660) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - NOV 27, 2003
Aroma of sweet cherries and yeast. Red with lots of bubbles but no head. Flavor is of cherry, malt, and yeast. Finish is dry. Outstanding.

myerstrmn (1) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 20, 2003 does not count
First tried this at GABF. Went back at least a dozen times to make sure it was as good as I thought. Yup! Amazing Belgian Kriek

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 14, 2003
This elixir pours into the glass with a cloudy amber brown body topped by a meidum thick head with a good amount of lacing. WOW! What an aroma! The cherry in the nose in just incredible. I love this beer just from the aroma. WOW, Again! The flavor is amazing. Cherry, malt and a slight sourness, that mixes so well! Medium bodied and smooth yet dry.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
djmcfar (64) - Ixonia, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 4, 2003
Never had anything like this before. I was given a free glass by the bartender of a local resteurant who knows that I am keen on unique brews. Its sells for $17 a bottle at this place (champagne sized bottle). It does not really taste like a beer or barley wine, or like a wine either. I think its a one-of-a-kind type of brew. The aroma was like a cherry liqour, red-brown color, good carbonation. The taste of cherries was prominant, but without the usual sweetness that one would associate with cherries. Its tough to describe in beer terms because its not really a beer. The 1-year aging is probably a major contributor to the taste. If I had something to celebrate, Id buy it - but $17 a bottle is a bit pricey. It would be nice if they could increase the alchohol content... I dont think there is another "beer" on the planet that costs as much but only brags 5% ABV (I know, alchohol content is not supposed to be a major deal with the ratings - lol).

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
TChrome (1425) - Bedford, Texas, USA - NOV 2, 2003
Aroma is very appealing, being mainly the aroma of cherries with a touch of barn yard smell. Appearance is cloudy reddish light brown wiht big off white head. Flavor begins like a cherry soda, but then the flavors expand and broaden. The finish is sour and a bit dry. Finish is very lingering. Delicious ale that I will be delighted to drink again.