overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1406   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
rodolito (163) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 24, 2003
Score is high due to intense enjoyment. For me, this beer is simple but delicious. Poured a hazy strawberry red with a thick reddish-white head that subsided to a thin layer. Aroma of sour cherries and sweetness. Flavor dominated by sour cherries, sweetness, and followed by a fizzy tartness. The sourness, cherries, tartness, acidity, and lively carbonation are very well balanced. I didn't detect the malt or wheat, but as I view this as a tasty fruit beer, I rate it accordingly.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - FEB 18, 2003
I can't figure this one out, maybe because I'm a stark raving novice to the style. I get the cherry thing - it's pretty explosive and very good, far from the cheap artificiality of so many fruit beers. I even get some honestly spicy hops. But my humble beer buds quest for more and lurking in the murk behind the cherry and sparkle find barely enough malt to keep me interested. Should I not be searching for a malt backbone? Do I care? I think the stuff is gorgeous, but not enough of the good nuttier, spicier, and just downright earthier flavors rise through to make it a world class quaffer for me. The malt has been yeast squeezed to yield up its sour breath in harmony to cherry pucker, and what is left, good stuff mind you, whimpers a little limply in the background.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 17, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 20, 2003 Sampled at 56.3 degrees..a beautiful cloudy orangish red..like mixing orange & cranberry juices..it sang in its lovely glair...the head started pink and semi-thick but settled considerably..The aroma really traveled as i was able to catch whiffs of fresh baked cherry pie from a few feet away..some cinnamon and maybe a little tartness came through too..the flavor of this beer caught me so off guard..it had super-strong authentic cherries..at first sip, the puckering sourness made the sides of my cheeks tingle, my eyes scringe, and my lips resemble a huge smile..the sweetness is there and strong yet not at all cloying and in perfect balance with the sour cherries..This is much sweeter than most if not all flemish sour ales..and after a few sips, the sourness is almost completely unnoticeable...and I'm not sure that it really fits into that category at all...but a "fruit beer" categorization would not do this beer any justice..oh that cherry pie filling taste is so real..its crazy..by far the most authentic cherry taste I've ever experienced in any beer...I think the only fault is the low alcohol level here...if it had an alcohol warming effect to it, it would be close to perfect.

aracauna (3035) - Georgia, USA - FEB 16, 2003
Hazy medium red w/ ok head. Aroma is big fruity cherry and floury wheat. Big juicy cherry up front, tart finish. Very active carbonation tingles the tongue and complements the cherry acidity nicely.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
redlem (1301) - Ohio, USA - FEB 15, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 13, 2009 This is the beer you get for Valentines day for your worse-half so you do not have to drink champaign. However when you pour this in a wine glass it has the hazy red color of the juice from a cherry pie that has spread onto the pie plate to cover where the missing pieces of pie were. There is very little head, but what head there is, is fizzy. The taste, oh the taste is like fresh tart sour cherry pie. This is not sweet cherry like cough drops or maraschino cherries or those horrid chocolate covered cherries. This is lip puckering, lip smacking, tongue wagging sour cherries. Not a session ale, but for those special occasions.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mixamatt (427) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 11, 2003
Ripe cherry, intense aroma.Brownish red appearance with pastel pink head.Explosive, sweet,very thick, spiced cherry flavor.By far the best Kriek I have ever had.Would go great with chocolate cake.

WabashMan (1009) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - FEB 10, 2003
This beautiful ale has a wonderful aroma, nice, crisp tartness to the flavor and is an all around delicious experience, from sight to stomach. Excellent!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - FEB 8, 2003
Opaque red. . . Creamy off white, lasting head. A cascading blanket of cherries encompasses me, filling every pour on my body. Soon tart cherries seep into my mouth, spicy and sweet they wrap my tongue and penetrate every taste bud. None resist, all cry out for more. . . as cherries ooze among them once again, they are happy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
WisconsinBeer (704) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - FEB 7, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 19, 2006 Sick looking beer, kind of like watered down blood. Huge cherry aromas. I think I came into this expecting something huge and cloying, but I was pleasantly surprised. The sweetness and the tartness are well balanced, providing for a very refreshing fruit beer. The oak comes through nicely to help dry it all out and provide an earthy counterpoint to the huge fruitiness. I dont think a cherry beer could be done any better.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - FEB 4, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 10, 2004 I can believe that there is a pound of cherries in here. Not a big fan of fruit beers, I really enjoyed this. I cannot compare this to any other beer, because it is definitely unique, but delicious! It sort of tastes like soda, sort of like wine, but also like beer. Whatever that means. But it sure is tasty. Thanks hey_kevin!