overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1406   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
GermanBrews76 (678) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - DEC 17, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 27, 2003 Cloudy Red body with nice amber and ruby tones. Good Erratic Belgian lace. Tons of tart ripe fruits, but mostly cherries, of course. Tart flavor loaded with a cherry pie filling, only crisper. Syrypy sweet. Very wine like brew. Tart and sweet, a nice way to mix it up. My buddy had a chocolate covered cherry made with half this stuff and half Guinness draught. I can only imagine how it would be if made with a Rogue Chocolate Stout. Intense bier with some oaken notes on the finish and a smooth, but really fizzy mouthfeel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
CaptainCougar (7129) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - DEC 7, 2002
Huge tart cherry aroma stemming from the dark red body. Pours with a short-lived white fizzy head. Sweet and sour together dominate the oily, somewhat fizzy palate. Hints of oak in the finish. very little hop character, but that makes it true to its style. Overall smooth, malty, and blossoming with cherries.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JCW (1274) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 6, 2002
I like this beer. It was the most different brew that I’ve ever had. Very strong cherry taste and aroma. Hints of malt and not a trace of hops. Great brew to have at the end of an evening,with or in lieu of a desert.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jaymobrown (1646) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 19, 2002
Dark cherry red color. Well, pretty much like a cherry ginger ale. It’s really more sweet than tart or sour, which makes it much more easy to drink. Some more dark notes to balance out the cherries would be nice. However, it is a hugely flavorfull beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 5, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 16, 2004 My original rating of 3.1 is far too harsh. After additional samplings of this tasty, tasy beer, I've decided to up my rating of it. Sure there's a ton of fruit, but there's a ton of fruit in many of the beers in this style. This is just so good, I can't be so harsh. It's wrong. Wow. What to say about this beer? Well, a nice red-brown color with almost no head. My initial thought when smelling the beer was of cherry fruittape. Sort of like fruit roll-ups, but made with real fruit. The "health" food alternative. Someone also said to me cherry koolaid powder, no water. Either way, cherries like a kick in the crotch. The mouthfeel is superb. Wonderful sour cherry flavor. Tart and lovely. My only question, and maybe the reason its kind of rated lower for me, is: Why is this a Flanders Red Ale and not a fruit beer? New Glarus Belgian Red is to Flanders Red Ale as Kalamazoo Bell's Cherry Stout is to Stout/Sweet Stout. If this was a fruit beer, or I was convinced otherwise, this beer would be a 4.5+, but as it stands...

Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 27, 2002
Brownish red hue. Strong aroma of cherries. Nice carbonation, velvety mouthfeel. Tons of cherries, tart, sweet and enjoyable. More of a woodyness appears when the beer warms. Very delicious.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - OCT 16, 2002
Bottle GABF 02: IMHO the second best beer at GABF 02. Huge cherry aroma, syrupy mouthfeel, orange red color. Ends acidic and sour. Very tart and screams cherries the entire time and for several minutes after you are done. I had at least 5 samples of this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Velveeta99 (13) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 13, 2002
A little too cherry-ish for me, although I can see the quality that went into this brew. Nice. I hear the brewery has a nice tour worth taking. Somewhat tart and a scary color.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
NDmullet (208) - South Bend, Indiana, USA - OCT 11, 2002
I figured that I’d really like this stuff, since I love Door County cherries, I get some every summer. This stuff is the color of fresh cherry juice, amply carbonated, with a pinkish, champagne-y head. Pure, unadulterated cherry essence, both in smell and taste. There’s a delicate cinnamon flavor behind all that fruit, mixed in with hints of graham cracker. The quality of the ingredients and the brewing skill here is evident. This is how all fruit beers should be done. I’d like like a little more of the base malt to poke through, cause the wave of cherry sweetness can get a little overwhelming, especially at the end of the bottle. This would be great with black forest chocolate cake.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kaya161 (1128) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 10, 2002
GABF 2002: Awseome tart cherry aroma, smells like a fresh cherry pie! Reddish-ornage colour with a pink head. Nice cherry flavour without being too sweet. Very nice!!