overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1426   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Ernest (6314) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JAN 26, 2003
Head is initially small, fizzy, off-white, fully diminishing. Body is murky dark red. Aroma is lightly malty (toasted light bread), with a strong note of cherry. Flavor is heavily sweet, moderately acidic. Finish is moderately sweet, moderately acidic. Medium body, syrupy texture, lively carbonation. Very sweet...my girlfriend would love this. Enough tartness to keep it from being a total wash, though, and the aroma is strong with fresh cherry.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - JAN 14, 2003
I don’t understand or agree wtth the style designation. This seems to be a wheat malt fruit beer. Exceptional cherry taste; nice balance between tart and sweet. Beer components are difficult to get to given the intense amount of fruit, but they are there (some wheat sourness, malt plumps up the body). Definitely yummy, but somehow escapes beerness overall, thus I echo booyaatribes’s comments. Thanks awaller05!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mikeyj80 (22) - USA - JAN 8, 2003
It is hard to think of this as a beer, and so i rated upon the experience itself. It is very sweet and fruity, very easy to drink, not something you should get if you are looking for a hoppy or even any beer flavor, but if you are looking for an experience, this is the ticket.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
dukefan (214) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JAN 3, 2003
Just a fruit explosion. I do not like and seldom drink fruit beers. But the quality of this beer just blows me away. My first taste was at GABF 1997, and this beer stood far above every beer at the fest. You would swear you were drinking straight sour cherry juice fermented as beer. A beautiful beer that will no longer be available in Chicago beginning February 2003. Grab it now while you can!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
booyaatribe (453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 3, 2003
Anyone who likes this beer has clearly never had Rodenbach Red. You definitely taste a ton of extremely sweet Wisconsin cherries in here. Unfortunately, this leans a bit too hard into lambic/black cherry soda territory. It’s no Rodenbach, despite the fact that they claim it’s a ’Flanders Red.’ Waaaaay too sweet, and not nearly beerlike enough.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
hopscotch (9374) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - JAN 2, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 31, 2011 Ok, I enjoyed another bottle tonight with the wife. We both agree that the aroma is of cherries, butter and brown sugar... quite simply, homemade cherry pie. The flavor is of cherry pie as well; slightly salty crust and all. I had to increase my score. This is just excellent beer. To drink it is like eating homemade cherry pie without the messy cleanup. Best fruit beer I’ve ever tried.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 1, 2003
Wow, thought this one would be syrupy but it turned out to be awesome. Great smell, looked great in the glass and went down easy. Should have bought two bottles.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
domtom (65) - Bienne, SWITZERLAND - DEC 30, 2002
Colour of coffee with a nice foam which quickly disappears. Very complex aroma of cherry, alcohol, cinnamon and almond. The flavour is very well-balanced with a light domination of sweetness. Spicy, very carbonated. Persistence of spices in the aftertaste. Excellent but just a little bit too carbonation.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - DEC 25, 2002
UPDATED: APR 17, 2004 Utterly amazing! I had searched for this beer for ages, and was excited to visit Chicago just because I knew I'd finally be able to get my hands on it. I was not to be disappointed when I tasted it. First, there's wax over the bottlecap, which is a classy touch. The beer is world class. Tastes as though a barrelful of cherries is in each bottle - the brewery must have spared no expense. Sweet like cherry pie, yet with tartness. Delectably delicious.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Indra (2641) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - DEC 18, 2002
Aroma of cherry pie, straight from the oven and cooling on the proverbial windowsill. Fetching opaque brownish red in color with a bit of pink showing around the edges and a slight head with very fine carbonation. Tart and somewhat sweet, fruity flavor profile, cherry juice being apparent throughout all phases. Some spices come out of hiding once the beer warms a bit, but overall the tart and sweet cherry and faint maltiness (a bit of wheat as well) serve as the focus. Finish is very lengthy. After my first couple of sips, I wasn’t so sure this was the masterpiece it’s renown seems to indicate, but after a little while I really started enjoying it. Not quite as complex as some of the Belgian beers of this style I’ve sampled, and a 750 really is quite a lot to drink by yourself. Overall, however, I appreciated it, and I’ve definitely never had anything quite like it.