overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1509   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13/5   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Originally 5.1% - abv reduced to 4% sometime between 2009 and 2011.
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - DEC 29, 2003
While I liked this, I never expected such high ratings for it. It was a pinkish amber color with bubbles, white head. Like a sparkling rosé wine. Definite cherry aroma and flavor. Was, to me, like drinking cherry soda. Very good but not spectacular as others seem to think it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
frylock (1135) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - DEC 25, 2003
Beautiful clear ruby color with a medium white head that slowly fades away. Aroma is purely sour cherries. Excellent mouth feel. Brilliant cherry flavor. Has a slight sourness and finishes quite dry. What a wonderful creation. Thanks to captaincougar for this one.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Nuffield (4011) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - DEC 19, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 25, 2004 I really like the wax-top style. Beautiful, beautiful appearance, like fruit puree so rich in color and substance. Wonderful aroma...wonderful flavor... I won't belavor the point, except to say that I wish it had been more sour. Oh, it was wonderful. Only I was coming down with the stomach flu...what an awful night I had. Big thanks to Joe K for bringing back a bottle from Wisconsin. (rating 19 Dec 2003: 9-5-7-4-18) // Re-rate 20 Aug 04: 9-5-9-3-17...same score, I guess, but seemingly better than I remembered. Lots of Ludens!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Probiere (992) - Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 13, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 28, 2004 I have been staring at this bottle for over a week now, willing it to open itself for me; for clumsy human hands to break the seal would surely have done irreparable harm to this delicate monster. Yeah, right. I over got my cold and thought, "Tonight's the night!" Pours a fine, small head, with continuing effervesence in the smallest bubbles I've ever seen. Looks like cherry juice; nothing spectacular. Smells. . .like cherry mountain pie on a cold night/huddled 'round a fire/home-canned bing cherries/and a dollop of sugar. Also smells faintly woody (campfire), vanilla ice cream (from the camp store), and a bit medicinal (Mom, I scraped my knee). Now that smelling this has caused me to relive portions of my childhood, I drink. Light in the mouth, but not too fizzily aggressive. Bursts of cherriness batter my brain. Little malt detectable. Finish is slightly spicy and quite tart. Leaves a stickiness but no sweetness 'round my lips. This is truly remarkable but too much for my brain to handle tonight. Capped with a wine capper and back into the fridge it goes. Next morning, I discover an added bonus: this stuff simply rocks with Christmas cookies for breakfast! My number one-hundred and a HUGE thanks to David P.!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
motelpogo (7705) - Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC - DEC 1, 2003
i cleaned my room the other day for the first time in 6 months and found my notes from tasting this a while back with duff and eczematic (the machine). plenty of marzipan, some oak and vanilla. faint tomato juice in the finish balances perfectly. even better than my own schitt kriek

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Zach Diesel (906) - Sisters, Oregon, USA - DEC 1, 2003
smells like cherry sour balls, amber with a pink head, super sweet cherriness, sour and awesome, a nice compliment to thanksgiving

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
egajdzis (5952) - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 30, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 3, 2004 Poured a copper, amber color with a small slightly off white head. Aroma of sweet fresh cherries. Taste is sour cherries, alittle yeast, but the cherries are extremely fresh! Hey, I may need another one of these

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JK (5625) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - NOV 27, 2003
Aroma of sweet cherries and yeast. Red with lots of bubbles but no head. Flavor is of cherry, malt, and yeast. Finish is dry. Outstanding.

myerstrmn (1) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 20, 2003 does not count
First tried this at GABF. Went back at least a dozen times to make sure it was as good as I thought. Yup! Amazing Belgian Kriek

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 14, 2003
This elixir pours into the glass with a cloudy amber brown body topped by a meidum thick head with a good amount of lacing. WOW! What an aroma! The cherry in the nose in just incredible. I love this beer just from the aroma. WOW, Again! The flavor is amazing. Cherry, malt and a slight sourness, that mixes so well! Medium bodied and smooth yet dry.