overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1509   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13/5   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Originally 5.1% - abv reduced to 4% sometime between 2009 and 2011.
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
djmcfar (64) - Ixonia, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 4, 2003
Never had anything like this before. I was given a free glass by the bartender of a local resteurant who knows that I am keen on unique brews. Its sells for $17 a bottle at this place (champagne sized bottle). It does not really taste like a beer or barley wine, or like a wine either. I think its a one-of-a-kind type of brew. The aroma was like a cherry liqour, red-brown color, good carbonation. The taste of cherries was prominant, but without the usual sweetness that one would associate with cherries. Its tough to describe in beer terms because its not really a beer. The 1-year aging is probably a major contributor to the taste. If I had something to celebrate, Id buy it - but $17 a bottle is a bit pricey. It would be nice if they could increase the alchohol content... I dont think there is another "beer" on the planet that costs as much but only brags 5% ABV (I know, alchohol content is not supposed to be a major deal with the ratings - lol).

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
TChrome (1448) - Bedford, Texas, USA - NOV 2, 2003
Aroma is very appealing, being mainly the aroma of cherries with a touch of barn yard smell. Appearance is cloudy reddish light brown wiht big off white head. Flavor begins like a cherry soda, but then the flavors expand and broaden. The finish is sour and a bit dry. Finish is very lingering. Delicious ale that I will be delighted to drink again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
thedm (5497) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - OCT 19, 2003
Fort Wayne event. This twelveth brew of the evening came from BigBadBear63. We drank this one to try and give our palates a break from the other big brews that had been battering our senses. This brew poured a small head of fine to medium sized slightly purplish hazy colored bubbles that were quickly diminishing. There was a grainy sediment to it that was visibly suspended within it. It had a strong cherry aroma and a bubbly sour cherry mouthfeel. The flavor was once again fruity. Another very nice brew, a bit sour, but then I think it was supposed to be that way hehe. Sure this isn't a fruit beer?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Silphium (3191) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - OCT 19, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 8, 2007 Re-rate based on several bottles since my original tasting back in the early days! Repeated sips have really demonstrated how phenomenal this beer is, one of the best available malt beverages on the market. The sour cherry, oak, and sharp carbonation combine for an experience unrivaled in this style. Buy yourself a case.

Rating #300
My favorite beer at the Fort Wayne tasting. Poured cloudy orange-red-brown, with an off-white head. Three distinct aromas: cherry, cherry, and cherry. Flavor was dominated, as expected, by these very cherries, although the fruitiness was nicely balanced by cinnamon and woodiness. The palate was remarkable- this is the smoothest fruit beer (OK- I see this is a Flemish Sour...) I’ve tried, and the carbonation perfectly complemented the slightly sour, spicy flavor. Remarkable. Original rating: 8-4-8-4-17 (4.1)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
fly (1459) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - OCT 14, 2003
Having any respect for this at all comes from much tasting of the other New Glarus products and comments from those I respect here. I understand that this has or does change (?). Based solely upon the tastes I had (many over three days, both at GABF and at Falling Rock) all were sticky sweet, as if a jar of jam had been used. Completely unbalanced, over the top candy sweet and I couldn't see beyond that. So long as I see that people here haven't given up on this one I will attempt to find again at another point for rethinking.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 10, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 6, 2009 Pretty ruby red color, suprisingly long lasting head, cherry vanilla aroma,a very very sour cherry taste, had a thickness to it. I prefer the Lindemans Kriek

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brodie (540) - Boone, North Carolina, USA - OCT 10, 2003
Wow! I did about $150 worth of exercise testing for a friend, and as a gift he brought be back a bottle of this from Wisconsin. I think I came out on top. The commercial description is dead on, so I'm not going to just repeat it in my own words. The balance on this beer is perfect.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Syd (921) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - OCT 3, 2003
UPDATED: APR 26, 2008 Pours a hazy burnt red (sort of fall colors like) with a good head of off white foam - nice lace. The aroma is that of (you guessed it) cherries. The flavor is so well balanced - not too sweet, not too tart, just right! The cherries taste like sour cherries. The mouth feel is rich but refreshing. Wow, I could drink a bunch of this! My opinion is that in order to get the real sour effect, drink this one well chilled. Liquid cherry pie.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
3fourths (9016) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - SEP 29, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 19, 2012 soft glowing ruby hue. Smells like cherry pop tarts - a mixture of bread, sugar and fruit. Excellent aroma. Texture of a bold cola. This may have killed by palate at the GABF. Intense sweetness, and very flavorful.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
rosebud (47) - Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA - SEP 26, 2003
I can't help it, I love this beer. A friend of mine brought home a three gallon keg of this beautiful beer! I was like drinking liquid cherry pie. Why oh why do they limit distribution to WI when they're are so many of us who want to enjoy this beer! WI must grow the best cherries. The oakiness comes through with every sip. Beautiful reddish-brown head and lace in the glass which stays from start to finish. This is a beer definitely worth persuing, especially since rumor has it that Kasteel is no longer going to be making their red any more. Truly an amazing beer.