overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1468   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Originally 5.1% - abv reduced to 4% sometime between 2009 and 2011.
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely ďWisconsin.Ē So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - DEC 25, 2002
UPDATED: APR 17, 2004 Utterly amazing! I had searched for this beer for ages, and was excited to visit Chicago just because I knew I'd finally be able to get my hands on it. I was not to be disappointed when I tasted it. First, there's wax over the bottlecap, which is a classy touch. The beer is world class. Tastes as though a barrelful of cherries is in each bottle - the brewery must have spared no expense. Sweet like cherry pie, yet with tartness. Delectably delicious.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Indra (2700) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - DEC 18, 2002
Aroma of cherry pie, straight from the oven and cooling on the proverbial windowsill. Fetching opaque brownish red in color with a bit of pink showing around the edges and a slight head with very fine carbonation. Tart and somewhat sweet, fruity flavor profile, cherry juice being apparent throughout all phases. Some spices come out of hiding once the beer warms a bit, but overall the tart and sweet cherry and faint maltiness (a bit of wheat as well) serve as the focus. Finish is very lengthy. After my first couple of sips, I wasnít so sure this was the masterpiece itís renown seems to indicate, but after a little while I really started enjoying it. Not quite as complex as some of the Belgian beers of this style Iíve sampled, and a 750 really is quite a lot to drink by yourself. Overall, however, I appreciated it, and Iíve definitely never had anything quite like it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
GermanBrews76 (680) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - DEC 17, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 27, 2003 Cloudy Red body with nice amber and ruby tones. Good Erratic Belgian lace. Tons of tart ripe fruits, but mostly cherries, of course. Tart flavor loaded with a cherry pie filling, only crisper. Syrypy sweet. Very wine like brew. Tart and sweet, a nice way to mix it up. My buddy had a chocolate covered cherry made with half this stuff and half Guinness draught. I can only imagine how it would be if made with a Rogue Chocolate Stout. Intense bier with some oaken notes on the finish and a smooth, but really fizzy mouthfeel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
CaptainCougar (7133) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - DEC 7, 2002
Huge tart cherry aroma stemming from the dark red body. Pours with a short-lived white fizzy head. Sweet and sour together dominate the oily, somewhat fizzy palate. Hints of oak in the finish. very little hop character, but that makes it true to its style. Overall smooth, malty, and blossoming with cherries.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JCW (1277) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 6, 2002
I like this beer. It was the most different brew that Iíve ever had. Very strong cherry taste and aroma. Hints of malt and not a trace of hops. Great brew to have at the end of an evening,with or in lieu of a desert.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jaymobrown (1732) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 19, 2002
Dark cherry red color. Well, pretty much like a cherry ginger ale. Itís really more sweet than tart or sour, which makes it much more easy to drink. Some more dark notes to balance out the cherries would be nice. However, it is a hugely flavorfull beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 5, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 16, 2004 My original rating of 3.1 is far too harsh. After additional samplings of this tasty, tasy beer, I've decided to up my rating of it. Sure there's a ton of fruit, but there's a ton of fruit in many of the beers in this style. This is just so good, I can't be so harsh. It's wrong. Wow. What to say about this beer? Well, a nice red-brown color with almost no head. My initial thought when smelling the beer was of cherry fruittape. Sort of like fruit roll-ups, but made with real fruit. The "health" food alternative. Someone also said to me cherry koolaid powder, no water. Either way, cherries like a kick in the crotch. The mouthfeel is superb. Wonderful sour cherry flavor. Tart and lovely. My only question, and maybe the reason its kind of rated lower for me, is: Why is this a Flanders Red Ale and not a fruit beer? New Glarus Belgian Red is to Flanders Red Ale as Kalamazoo Bell's Cherry Stout is to Stout/Sweet Stout. If this was a fruit beer, or I was convinced otherwise, this beer would be a 4.5+, but as it stands...

Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 27, 2002
Brownish red hue. Strong aroma of cherries. Nice carbonation, velvety mouthfeel. Tons of cherries, tart, sweet and enjoyable. More of a woodyness appears when the beer warms. Very delicious.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - OCT 16, 2002
Bottle GABF 02: IMHO the second best beer at GABF 02. Huge cherry aroma, syrupy mouthfeel, orange red color. Ends acidic and sour. Very tart and screams cherries the entire time and for several minutes after you are done. I had at least 5 samples of this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Velveeta99 (13) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 13, 2002
A little too cherry-ish for me, although I can see the quality that went into this brew. Nice. I hear the brewery has a nice tour worth taking. Somewhat tart and a scary color.