overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1411   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 5/20
BeerDeltaBravo (53) - Oregon, USA - JUN 19, 2012
Pours a vivid ruby red with a two-finger head. Amazing lacing. Excellent hoppy nose, punctuated with papaya and caramel. Intense herbal taste, laced with a touch of strawberry and grapefruit. Silky smooth mouthfeel and dry finish.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ReeceG (52) - Iowa, USA - APR 6, 2014
wonderfully crafted beer, taste/aroma is cherries cherries and more cherries. it is a little rich and can get thick to drink towards the end but that would be my only compliant, otherwise truly unique and wonderful beer

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
beerprincess (52) - Indiana, USA - APR 5, 2006
Red/Brown color with tons of cherries on the nose and palate. What a great finisher to a wonderful tasting!!!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
soulgrowl (52) - Kitakyushu-shi, JAPAN - MAY 7, 2008
Aroma: Tart, crisp, and irresistibly appetizing, but rather one-dimensional. I smell cherries and that’s about it. Appearance: A warm, sumptuous burgundy-fuschia rouge. No head to speak of, but what an interesting color. Flavor: When my brother first told me about this beer, he said it tastes just like cherry pie, and man, he wasn’t kidding. Sweet, tart, very natural-tasting cherries, a touch of cinnamon spice, and some doughy notes, most likely from the wheat and roasted malts. Such a festive ale! I don’t usually like sweet beers, but this is just plain delicious. Not artificial or syrupy in the least. Finish is clean and sour. Palate: Sparkly and light, matches the tartness perfectly. Overall: Since it is so sweet, I don’t think I could handle more than a few glasses of this... but what a pleasure to savor slowly after dinner. I will definitely buy more when I return to Wisconsin for the holidays.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
DTB (51) - South Philly, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 15, 2006
This beer poured a dark glowing red with a few light purple highlights. It was very clear with little bubbles clinging to the inside of my glass. The head was thin, off white and pink that left a thin and delicate lace. Smells initially of sweet cherry pie filling that, for an instant, is rather disappointing. Fortunately, the smell is then backed up with a musky sourness that adds a terrific amount of life and wholesomeness. Along with this fantastic cherry, there seems to be a musky lambic-like yeast. Tastes of powerfully tangy wild cherries. This is not just cherry sweetness, but the flavor clearly reflects actual cherry skin! This, combined with (what I’m guessing to be ) the musky wild yeast creates a smooth and tangy cherry experience that is absolutely amazing. This is quite an accomplishment for the people at New Glarus. (thank you!) The mouth feel had a light soft body with a medium tingly carbonation that’s a wonderful compliment to the tangy aspects of the flavor. I think that the mouth feel plays a crucial role in the delivery of the flavor, earning a high rating form me. Delicious! Absolutely delicious! This is so easy to drink and just dripping with quality and care. There’s a quality here that makes me wish there was a NA version of this available to have with breakfast every morning. I think I’ll never be able to tolerate fake cherry flavors ever again. This is hands down a fantastic beer! The only shortcoming on its drinkability is the sweetness. It’s necessary for the flavor, but I wouldn’t want to split more than one bottle at any one sitting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
cranesareflying (50) - Evanston, Illinois, USA - MAR 7, 2002
Jeeesus Christ, it’s syruppy, almost like medicine. Why do they put beer in those big wine bottles, because if you’re not crazy about the beer, there sure is an awful lot left? In my case, it took me 3 days to drink ONE bottle of this stuff, so I wasn’t too crazy about it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
feedmec00kies (49) - New York, New York, USA - MAY 18, 2006
orangish ruby color, small pinkish white head. smells like sour cherry pie filling, pomegranate. Tastes a bit woody and like pomegranate (plus seeds), but mostly like cherry pie (with spices, crust, sugar, etc) with a nice sour finish. Quite refreshing!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheElder (49) - DeSoto, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 1, 2008
Cherries. Amazing! Pours dark thick red with little head around the edges. A little lacing. I get malts and tons of cherries. Good stuff.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Davin (48) - Vermont, USA - APR 5, 2008
Bottle from Ughsmash. Tastes like a ton of cherries. They really did a good job on this one and I can’t imagine a better cherry beer. The malt is still detectable and blends well with the fruit.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
rosebud (47) - Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA - SEP 26, 2003
I can't help it, I love this beer. A friend of mine brought home a three gallon keg of this beautiful beer! I was like drinking liquid cherry pie. Why oh why do they limit distribution to WI when they're are so many of us who want to enjoy this beer! WI must grow the best cherries. The oakiness comes through with every sip. Beautiful reddish-brown head and lace in the glass which stays from start to finish. This is a beer definitely worth persuing, especially since rumor has it that Kasteel is no longer going to be making their red any more. Truly an amazing beer.