overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1418   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
djmcfar (64) - Ixonia, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 4, 2003
Never had anything like this before. I was given a free glass by the bartender of a local resteurant who knows that I am keen on unique brews. Its sells for $17 a bottle at this place (champagne sized bottle). It does not really taste like a beer or barley wine, or like a wine either. I think its a one-of-a-kind type of brew. The aroma was like a cherry liqour, red-brown color, good carbonation. The taste of cherries was prominant, but without the usual sweetness that one would associate with cherries. Its tough to describe in beer terms because its not really a beer. The 1-year aging is probably a major contributor to the taste. If I had something to celebrate, Id buy it - but $17 a bottle is a bit pricey. It would be nice if they could increase the alchohol content... I dont think there is another "beer" on the planet that costs as much but only brags 5% ABV (I know, alchohol content is not supposed to be a major deal with the ratings - lol).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
biermensch (64) - USA - AUG 21, 2007
After years of passing on this beer, for some reason I picked up a bomber and shared it with family. The Belgian Red quickly became a weekend guilty pleasure. The amazing cherry flavor is big and vibrant, but not cloyingly sweet. Hugely refreshing and drinkable.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
airforce1 (61) - Atascosa, Texas, USA - JUN 2, 2008
This beer is somewhat of an enigma for me. First of all, the older it gets, the sweeter it gets. Not sure how thats possible....anyway, this beer is sweet as hell, which is a bit of a disappoitment given this beer smells and looks incredible. If it were a bit more sour, I would rate it a litlle higher, but its just too damn sweet =(

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Troobie99 (60) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUN 10, 2002
This is a unique experiment in North America, so far as I know. It is reputedly ’spontaneously fermented’--outside Belgium, I know of no others. This beer takes its flavor from the cherries the brewery uses, which are sweeter and darker than those used in Belgian krieks. The balance of this beer is between the sweetness of those cherries and the sour yeast note. It is perhaps more sweet and less sour than I would prefer, but if it’s spontaneously fermented, the sour note wouldn’t be adjustable. A remarkable accomplishment.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
starcross (60) - Indiana, USA - JUL 28, 2014
Cherries, cherries, cherries, cherries, cherries, cherries, cherries, cherries, cherries, cherries, cherries, cherries ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
dctriman (59) - USA - MAY 20, 2013
Bottle trade. Very syrupy. Good flavor, share this with a friend or 3. Really only need about 4 ounces at a time.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
alalvarez75 (57) - New York, USA - APR 28, 2012
Seems to be cherry candy. Carbonated cherry candy that sticks to the back of your throat. I know it's raved about, but it's a pass for me. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 5/20
BeerDeltaBravo (53) - Oregon, USA - JUN 19, 2012
Pours a vivid ruby red with a two-finger head. Amazing lacing. Excellent hoppy nose, punctuated with papaya and caramel. Intense herbal taste, laced with a touch of strawberry and grapefruit. Silky smooth mouthfeel and dry finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
soulgrowl (52) - Kitakyushu-shi, JAPAN - MAY 7, 2008
Aroma: Tart, crisp, and irresistibly appetizing, but rather one-dimensional. I smell cherries and that’s about it. Appearance: A warm, sumptuous burgundy-fuschia rouge. No head to speak of, but what an interesting color. Flavor: When my brother first told me about this beer, he said it tastes just like cherry pie, and man, he wasn’t kidding. Sweet, tart, very natural-tasting cherries, a touch of cinnamon spice, and some doughy notes, most likely from the wheat and roasted malts. Such a festive ale! I don’t usually like sweet beers, but this is just plain delicious. Not artificial or syrupy in the least. Finish is clean and sour. Palate: Sparkly and light, matches the tartness perfectly. Overall: Since it is so sweet, I don’t think I could handle more than a few glasses of this... but what a pleasure to savor slowly after dinner. I will definitely buy more when I return to Wisconsin for the holidays.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
beerprincess (52) - Indiana, USA - APR 5, 2006
Red/Brown color with tons of cherries on the nose and palate. What a great finisher to a wonderful tasting!!!!