overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1468   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Originally 5.1% - abv reduced to 4% sometime between 2009 and 2011.
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

Themanmachine (17) - Texas, USA - MAY 31, 2013
Unbeatable. Super consistent over the years. I can’t wait until its back. Im in love.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
urnes011 (16) - Minneapolis, USA - DEC 11, 2010
Bottle into snifter. Aroma is amazing; like a cherry tree punching you in the face. Taste is similar with almost a strange ludens cough drops taste. Overall a great beer and second best to only the raspberry tart.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
GoPackJo99 (16) - Oregon, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 19, 2001
Very good aroma, heavy with cherries. Golden-red color with a pinkish-red head. Taste isn’t as dominated with cherries as I would have thought. Very wheaty and carbonated. A very good Cherry Ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
salishan1969 (16) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - SEP 11, 2004
Very interesting...nice rich red color with a thick off-white head that diminishes somewhat quickly leaving a considerable amount of lace. Good fruity aroma with a slight hint of something metallic. The flavor is a well balanced tart with good bit of "cherry-ness." Not for everyday consumption, but certainly a great special occasion brew.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jimrbb (16) - USA - APR 11, 2008
Cherries all the way. a fruit beer with great flavors. malty too. belgian inspired and a good job they did

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Djanvk (15) - Freeport, Illinois, USA - MAR 9, 2009
I was amazed by this beer. The color was a nice dark reddish color, the flavor had an amazing "REAL" cherry flavor not the syrup like candy cherry flavor. I was really stunned how good this is and I will definitely buy again.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
mfincher (15) - Wills Point, Texas, USA - NOV 13, 2006
Fantastic Brew! I bought it at the New Glarus Brewery in Wisconsin and hauled it home.(1,500 miles)So maybe my score is a little high, but as they say "getting there is half the fun". It pours a beautiful cherry red and it had a perfect balence of sour and fruit. If I ever have the chance I will buy it again

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
RugbyMike (14) - Woodbury, Minnesota, USA - APR 23, 2004
Maybe I'm biased, but there is nothing like this beer. It is most enjoyable in the cold of a Minnesota winter and drunk from a snifter or wine goblet. The cherry content is rich and tart, but finishes a bit on the sweet side. New Glarus is not known for its hoppiness which makes the brazen cherriness of the beer so much more intense. If you can, go to this Swiss village in Wisconsin on a Saturday, take a tour of the facility, sample the wares and buy a bunch of stuff. Afterward, go to the hotel that is on the other side of the road and down about half a mile, and try some Swiss cuisine.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
meadlover1959 (14) - Wisconsin, USA - MAR 20, 2005
One of my favorite beers. Big, big cherry taste. When I’m with people who say they don’t like beer, I break out some of the Belgian Red. Have found only a handful of people who did not throughly enjoy this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Velveeta99 (13) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 13, 2002
A little too cherry-ish for me, although I can see the quality that went into this brew. Nice. I hear the brewery has a nice tour worth taking. Somewhat tart and a scary color.