overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1426   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - DEC 21, 2001
UPDATED: APR 4, 2004 December 2001: Gorgeous deep maroon color, almost opaque, topped by a slight head. Powerful, powerful cherry aroma with a tinge of chocolate. Flavor is awesomely sour, but with lots of cherry sweetness and a great rich mouthfeel to balance. Might be a tad too carbonated (though not as much if you let it warm in the glass) but the finish is awesome and so is the overall experience. Another masterpiece from one of Wisconsin's finest. 9/5/9/4/19

Flemish Sour Tasting with MartinT & Rastacouere Part 1 #9. Absolutely perfect rendition of cherry pie in a bottle; the nose is of sweet and tart cherries perfectly married in a light, biscuity crust, with small hints of vanilla, cinnamon, butter and ginger...the flavor is mostly sweet, lightly spicy, juicy and wonderfully full-bodied, with lovely caramel and light cocoa underpinnings, vanilla and oak and just a dash of amaretto in the finish. Not at all too sweet in my book, rather the cherry sweetness is balanced by the intense tapestry of other baked goodies in the flavor, a firm malty body and touches of sourness from start to finish. Flawless.

Kodos (205) - USA - MAR 9, 2002
WOW! This is excellent stuff! Big cherry/almond nose, nice head that diminishes quickly, flavor is serious sweet cherry, then the aftertaste hits with a chocolate/cherry bittersweetness. A little too much carbonation, but the best fruit beer ive had!

Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 25, 2002
Wow. A friend bought this as a drink to share to celebrate with. And what a drink. Color is a very dark red. A little too much carbonation, but thats the only real problem with it. Nice and sweet, very noticeable cherry flavor. Also the smoothest drink I’ve ever had. ’Like drinking silk’ is the closest I can come to describing the feel in my mouth. And the most heavenly aftertaste I’ve ever had. Puts to shame any beer I’ve had before, as well as many wines.

beerguy101 (5287) - Newark, California, USA - SEP 16, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 1, 2003 Rerate - Reddish brown color, hazy. Small to no head. Aroma is cherry and malt. WOW.. AND I DO MEAN WOW!! I had this beer several years ago, and while I had no notes on it. It tastes exactly the way I remembered it. Medium bodied. Intense cherry flavor, sweet, sour and tart. There is some malt sweetness as well as hop spiciness as well. Complex and intense flavors. Extremely smooth. Not very beer like, closest style might be a lambic?? But, who cares it tastes amazing. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is clean and sweet. World class beer. -------& this beer at the Oregon Brewers Festival several years ago. No notes on it, but I do remember it as one of the best beers I have ever tasted.

myerstrmn (1) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 20, 2003 does not count
First tried this at GABF. Went back at least a dozen times to make sure it was as good as I thought. Yup! Amazing Belgian Kriek

UncleStinky (1) - USA - FEB 24, 2004 does not count
This is, quite possibly, the most exquisite beer ever brewed. It's certainly the best I've ever had. EVER. It is pure liquid ambrosia. I DREAM about this beer...And the reality is better. A true fruit ale hand-crafted in small batches from premium ingredients by a family brewery. The perfect, PERFECT balance of tartness and sweetness, with a slightly nutty aftertaste and an unbelievably smooth texture and robust color. Halfway between wine and beer and far better than either, with. Whatever you have to do to get your hands on a bottle or three of this delectable beverage, DO IT. You will NOT be disappointed. Experience this beer before you die, or you leave the world poorer.

jzzbassman (1516) - New Albany, Mississippi, USA - APR 6, 2004
My first perfect score!! Maybe it was the amout of work I had to go through to get it, but it met every expectation. I was loathe to share this one, and now I'm jonesing for getting my next one.

groski81 (3) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 14, 2005 does not count
Like I said in my Spotted Cow review I have tried numerous amounts of beers from New Glarus and this is their best brew out of all of them...there is an aroma of cherries when you pop open the bottle, a rich red color and well the flavor is just amazing...this is probably one of the best beers I have ever tasted!

Gmku (294) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - JUN 9, 2005
I wish I knew what to make of this. Cherries, obviously. Cherries, cherries, cherries, cherries, and more cherries. And it’s beer, too. Sucré en bouche, sans être abusif, laissant place à une faible présence tartrique. Une impression de sirop worth the high regard that it receives. earthy notes. super complex starts out with sweet bubbly cherries dentelle. Saveur: Superbe goût de cerises très bien balancé. (Pas énormément sucré). Durée moyenne de l’arrière goût. Palette: Corps moyen avec une texture sirupeuse. Arrière goût de cerises mais qui laisse un sensation Perfect Fruit Beer. But would I want to drink this more than once in a while probably not.

Budrulzall (3) - USA - JUN 30, 2005 does not count
from beginning to end this is one of the best beers I’ve ever had. On tap is a totally different experience than the bottle. Much more refreshing and enjoyable.