overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1431   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely ďWisconsin.Ē So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

GonZoBeeR (2941) - Ste-Eulalie, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 5, 2005
Aroma:cherry all the way... Appearance:Hazy redish,light head.... Flavor:Cherry. The best cherry beer i have drink....

SpudClampDawg (1029) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - AUG 27, 2005
Muddy copper pour with no head. The aroma is overly sweet, mostly cherry juice and pressed cherry with lots of sugar. The body is lively, sweet, but not too puckering. Slightly sticky texture. The freshness is top notch, but unless you REALLY like cherries, this will get old fast. I appreciate what theyíve done, but the cherries absolutely dominate the brew and leave room for little else. It would be nice to have some balance here as this comes off as a one trick pony in the end. Canít fruit beers have some complexity?? I want to taste the effects of the oak aging damnit! I would much rather have a 12 oz bottle of this, as the 1 pint, 9 fl. oz. bottle is nearly impossible to finish alone...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
JoshuaB (474) - Detroit, Michigan, USA - DEC 30, 2005
Not sure on the vintage, but thanks to Su11y for this one. Thanks Mike. I must say, this one looks the part. Pours a super murky dank brown red, with lots of speckling and yummy sedimenty unfiltered goodness. NG filters most of their beers, so I was pleasantly surprised. Aroma is cherries (of course), along with a dash of brown sugar and some yeast. No hops detected on this one. Taste is where this one is lacking. I do not find enough complexity to warrant a top 50 beer, or even top 100 in my opinion. What you do get, is an initial blast of tart citric cherries. I do admit, the cherry flavor, although potent, is very natural in every way. Initially sour, but a nice malt profile backs it up to provide a backbone with some sweetness and girth. Yet the cherries are too overpowering on this one. Even the sensibly nice malts are over muscled by a strong cherry presence. Not sure what to recommend to make this one better, but there are better Krieks out there. Maybe I am jaded to the top 50, but my last few samplings have left things to be desired. Too much carbonation.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
alafito (334) - tijuana, MEXICO - JUN 25, 2006
Big Bottle, Thanks to drewbeer for this one. This is a great desert beer. Very sweet and tangy with flavors of cherries and pineapples, reminded me a lot of a big stick frozen loli pop. A bit of oak and sourness in the finish, but mainly sweet and sour cherries. The color is a unique and murky orange to light brown very pretty but with a tiny orange tan head. A bit to much to be taken by itself... maybe with some cheese or some fruity chicken dish. If you do have it alone, serve in a small champange flute. Way to sweet for me, not having it again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
SwedeDog (364) - Windsor, Connecticut, USA - SEP 12, 2006
Bottle via trade with Ughsmash. Hopefully, I didnít leave this in the basement for too long. When I first poured this (after sitting about 20 mins in the fridge), it was rather lambicky. Sour and tart cherry, but it mixed with sweet in a funky way. After I gave it a little time to breathe and warm, the sweetness took over. I never really got the cherry pie sense (especially not in the nose) In fact, the nose was a little weak. Full on cherry in the mouth, almost like alcopop. Once it warmed up a bit, it became much better, but not top 50, IMO. Maybe I just need a fresher bottle.

jcr (2221) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - OCT 22, 2006
All cherries, all the time. There is some maltiness here, but I had to work overtime to find it. Cloudy dark amber pour with little head. Aroma is full of tart cherries with subtle malt notes. The flavor is virtually the same as cherry juice ó sweet with a tart finish. More tartness would have been welcome. Medium body, sticky with lively carbonation. Tasty fruit brew.

Sombeast (151) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 20, 2006
Bottle. Cherry soda pop aroma with no discenable alcohol. Slightly cloudy pale red - chill / pectin haze?. Tart baking cherry flavor with a light sour aftertaste. Well carbonated and leaves a residual sweetness in the mouth. Pleasant and refreshing but initially a hair too close to a cherry soda for my taste. On second thought, this beer is holding up quite well as my wife and I work our way through it. On third thought, as the beer warms a bit the balance of flavor and sourness is developing nicely. Take your time and donít drink this one too chilled.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TBone (13002) - Pori, FINLAND - JUL 3, 2007
Bottled
Hazy murky red color, small off-white head. Intensive fresh cherry aroma. Lactose and sweet cherry in the flavor. Sweet, sugary, good be more sour. Some peppery notes in the aftertaste. I was expecting more and therefore I am wondering how this is in Top50.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
mikey (503) - farmington, Utah, USA - AUG 29, 2007
Poured a hazy red with a light pink head. The nose was of cherries and thatís about it. No yeast, no malt, no beer. Just cherry. The taste started with... you guessed it, Cherry! Sweet at the start, dry and tart at the finish. Despite itís murkiness it really has a delicate feel on the tongue. Almost like sparkling wine. It does have a definite malt presence, but doesnít have the sticky cloyingness that an American wheat beers have. Itís drinkablity depends on your tollerance for cherries. For me a 750 ml bottle treats me just fine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
WISEGUY572 (1373) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 18, 2008
Easy enough to make a sweet fruit beer enjoyable, and this certainly was enjoyable. Nose of sweet cherries and tart fruit; people with me kept saying cranberry juice. Lovely hazy reddish color with a small head. Taste of sweet cherries, lightly malted, could use more offsetting bitterness, and a sourness that might also have come from the cherries or some lambic activity. Average mouth feel, not cloying or syrupy as I had feared. Maybe a bonus point for being low alcohol. Easy to get a high rating with a sweet fruity beer, but this one was nice.