overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1426   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DavefromChicago (201) - Illinois, USA - APR 14, 2002
Nice woody, cherry aroma. Lovely red color. Small, thick, creamy head adds to mouthfeel. Nice balance of sweet and sour cherry flavor, nicely thirst quenching. Enjoyable but too much cherry and not enough beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
PhillyBeer2112 (2534) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - OCT 7, 2002
GABF 2002: Well, I was underwhelmed by this one, despite its favoring. Strong maraschino cherry aroma and flavor. Sweet and nice, and fairly well balanced.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - JAN 14, 2003
I don’t understand or agree wtth the style designation. This seems to be a wheat malt fruit beer. Exceptional cherry taste; nice balance between tart and sweet. Beer components are difficult to get to given the intense amount of fruit, but they are there (some wheat sourness, malt plumps up the body). Definitely yummy, but somehow escapes beerness overall, thus I echo booyaatribes’s comments. Thanks awaller05!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - MAY 28, 2003
Huge, beautiful cherry aroma. Terribly appealing. Big light head over dramatic red body. Big sweet cherry juice flavor perfectly tempered with sourness. Very acidic. Rivals all the great fruit beers I've had in Belgium (exc. Rodenbach), but I simply do not have great affection for the style. I'd rather have a good Pils. An interesting pick for #500.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Ungstrup (29665) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - SEP 17, 2004
An unclear red beer with a disappearing beige head. The aroma contains notes of marcipan and cherries. While the flavor contains notes powerful notes of fruit and cherries.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - OCT 31, 2004
Bottle courtessy of Eyedrinkale. Cherry color and red head. Flavor and aroma of sweet and tart cherries. Light and refreshing. But not very complex.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
mkobes (2141) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - NOV 5, 2004
Thanks Eyedrinkale. Cherry color with a nice red head, Aroma is sweet. Flavor and aroma of sweet and tart cherries. Refreshing. Enjoyable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
PeteOvertone (13) - Ingleside, Illinois, USA - FEB 16, 2007
Not sure why this beer is rated so high. It tastes like cherry Kool-Aid with alcohol in it. Not what I look for in a beer. However, It was good if you like Kool-Aid. I’m not familiar with fruit beers. It did have a nice finish. I think me and Drewbeerme had the same beers lined up for the Superbowl. Worth trying.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - MAR 12, 2007
Bottle at the Knoxville Spring(ish) tasting. Pours hazy rust color. The aroma is very fruity, and immediately reminds me of Juicy-Juice. The flavor is berry (mostly cherry) juice. Beer elements are there, but are overwhelmed by fruit juice flavors. Some honey sweetness manifests itself, as well as some occasional faint bitterness, but its mostly cherry. Pretty good, but it’s more of a juice than a beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - AUG 10, 2007
This beer offers lots of big cherry flavor, replete with a puckering mouthfeel of cherry sourness. It is good, but I can’t help but feel highly over-rated. It offers a cherry tartness so rich, I feel like Pac-Man (level one) when drinking it. I would almost prefer something a bit more understated and nuanced, like the Lindemans kriek. Still, I love sour, so it is difficult for me to badmouth this beer. Its color was not as pleasant as I expected (more of a red brown than a brilliant ripe-fruit red), and aroma was just so-so, but that flavor was a big punch of flavor that I really enjoyed.