Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1519   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13/5   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Originally 5.1% - abv reduced to 4% sometime between 2009 and 2011.
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely ďWisconsin.Ē So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
PattyBoy (302) - North Liberty, Iowa, USA - JUL 30, 2004
Pours cloudy red. Strong aroma like black cherry soda hits you immediately. Higly carbonated, subtely reminds me of champagne. The taste is all cherries. Sweet, but finishes a little tart, with a slight hint of spiciness. I have definitely never had anything like this before.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Frank (4024) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 6, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 16, 2004 Pours cranberry red with a fizzy pink head thatís mostly diminishing. Nose is loaded with tart cherry and some spice. Light bodied effervescent and refreshing. I rather enjoyed it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
sbaryenbruch (2) - barneveld, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 15, 2004 does not count
Hands down the best fruit based beer you will ever experience. Absolutely bursting with tart Wisconsin cherries. A perfect ice cold summer desert.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DYCSoccer17 (3637) - Woodland, California, USA - DEC 25, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 24, 2015 Wow, this aroma smells JUST LIKE my momís cherry pie. I will have to warn you that I LOVE cherries and there are few things Iíd much rather have than my momís cherry pie. Sweet and tart cherries in the nose. Hazy amber color with red tints and a pink head. The start is very sweet cherries turning mildly sour. Gets a little more sour in the finish. Has some sweet malt tones to end. This has the perfect balance of the cherry sweetness and the cherry sourness. I wish I lived in Wisconsin! Donít make me choose between this and Quelque Chose! (10/4/9/4/18) ~~~~~~~RE-RATE~~~~~~~~750ml brought back from Wisconsin. The aroma on this is of semi-sweet and semi-tart fruity cherries. More sweet than tart. Fruit roll-up is definitely present. Momís pie is no longer there. Transparent ruby-amber colored body. Medium, somewhat quickly dissipating taupe head. Starts with a sweet, syrupy, thick cherry flavor. Light tartness in the middle with a little spritzy carbonation thereafter. Finishes with more sugary sweetness. A bit sweet, and rather one-dimensional.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
ClarkVV (5858) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 31, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 19, 2005 2004 bottle thanks to Footbalm and Flemdawg. Tried side-by-side with a 2003 Cantillon Kriek. Needless to say, this one didnt quite come out on top, but for what it was, I was very pleased. Especially after drinking the vastly unbalanced and cloying Raspberry tart. Wonderful pour, murky, muddled dark red and burgundy with browns and tans swriling about. Cloudy, unfiltered and bottle conditioned. Aroma of tart, fresh cherries, moderate sweetness with some wheat and a light yeast influence. Flavor opens up with a burst of ripe cherries followed quickly by a touch of lightly tart yeast. Hops add a touch of balance, and while the cherries do not quite overwhelm with sweetness, there is no want of sugar, fruit and sweet malt here. What I could use more of, is the wonderful tart lambic flavor hiding in the background. On the finish, some hops are evident, earthy, lightly sharp, rusty and old, with a good dose of wheat and yeast, but it is not quite enough to stop the cherries. I like what New Glarus is doing; these beers are fresh and wonderfully crafted, but they need to tone down the fruit, at least in my opinion. Only traces of sourness or oak can be felt, while there is a touch of oily roast on the very end, the cherry tartness and meaty pulpiness of it really overshadows everything. A good beer and one that would age well. I do need to try some extensively aged samples of this (and the raspberry) before passing a final judgement, but for now it is too sweet and only adds yeast tartness/sourness as an afterthought.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
GonZoBeeR (3061) - ste-catherine, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 5, 2005
Aroma:cherry all the way... Appearance:Hazy redish,light head.... Flavor:Cherry. The best cherry beer i have drink....

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SpudClampDawg (1029) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - AUG 27, 2005
Muddy copper pour with no head. The aroma is overly sweet, mostly cherry juice and pressed cherry with lots of sugar. The body is lively, sweet, but not too puckering. Slightly sticky texture. The freshness is top notch, but unless you REALLY like cherries, this will get old fast. I appreciate what theyíve done, but the cherries absolutely dominate the brew and leave room for little else. It would be nice to have some balance here as this comes off as a one trick pony in the end. Canít fruit beers have some complexity?? I want to taste the effects of the oak aging damnit! I would much rather have a 12 oz bottle of this, as the 1 pint, 9 fl. oz. bottle is nearly impossible to finish alone...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
JoshuaB (476) - Detroit, Michigan, USA - DEC 30, 2005
Not sure on the vintage, but thanks to Su11y for this one. Thanks Mike. I must say, this one looks the part. Pours a super murky dank brown red, with lots of speckling and yummy sedimenty unfiltered goodness. NG filters most of their beers, so I was pleasantly surprised. Aroma is cherries (of course), along with a dash of brown sugar and some yeast. No hops detected on this one. Taste is where this one is lacking. I do not find enough complexity to warrant a top 50 beer, or even top 100 in my opinion. What you do get, is an initial blast of tart citric cherries. I do admit, the cherry flavor, although potent, is very natural in every way. Initially sour, but a nice malt profile backs it up to provide a backbone with some sweetness and girth. Yet the cherries are too overpowering on this one. Even the sensibly nice malts are over muscled by a strong cherry presence. Not sure what to recommend to make this one better, but there are better Krieks out there. Maybe I am jaded to the top 50, but my last few samplings have left things to be desired. Too much carbonation.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
alafito (334) - tijuana, MEXICO - JUN 25, 2006
Big Bottle, Thanks to drewbeer for this one. This is a great desert beer. Very sweet and tangy with flavors of cherries and pineapples, reminded me a lot of a big stick frozen loli pop. A bit of oak and sourness in the finish, but mainly sweet and sour cherries. The color is a unique and murky orange to light brown very pretty but with a tiny orange tan head. A bit to much to be taken by itself... maybe with some cheese or some fruity chicken dish. If you do have it alone, serve in a small champange flute. Way to sweet for me, not having it again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
SwedeDog (364) - Windsor, Connecticut, USA - SEP 12, 2006
Bottle via trade with Ughsmash. Hopefully, I didnít leave this in the basement for too long. When I first poured this (after sitting about 20 mins in the fridge), it was rather lambicky. Sour and tart cherry, but it mixed with sweet in a funky way. After I gave it a little time to breathe and warm, the sweetness took over. I never really got the cherry pie sense (especially not in the nose) In fact, the nose was a little weak. Full on cherry in the mouth, almost like alcopop. Once it warmed up a bit, it became much better, but not top 50, IMO. Maybe I just need a fresher bottle.