overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1425   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
legion242 (2250) - Richardson, Texas, USA - MAR 15, 2002
A beautiful red that shimmers; Head was thin to non-existent; What would you expect in the nose- Cherries. The tartness is too overwhelming. As much as I try and try to like these types of beers, I just can not f-ing get it. Fruit can be a nice addition to a beer, but perhaps, IMHO, shouldn’t be the foundation of a beer. Stouts with flavoring can be good, but what the heck was this before they added all the cherries? Puckered my lips almost in the fashion of a Carillon. The wife loved it though, so she got to finish off the bottle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
fly (1419) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - OCT 14, 2003
Having any respect for this at all comes from much tasting of the other New Glarus products and comments from those I respect here. I understand that this has or does change (?). Based solely upon the tastes I had (many over three days, both at GABF and at Falling Rock) all were sticky sweet, as if a jar of jam had been used. Completely unbalanced, over the top candy sweet and I couldn't see beyond that. So long as I see that people here haven't given up on this one I will attempt to find again at another point for rethinking.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
tokyogoat (1503) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 8, 2009
Nose is dominated by cherry puree, mint, slight tartiness, mostly smells like xmas. Poured brownish red with a pink head. Tastes like a pound of cherries. Just doesnt taste like a beer, too much cherry, too sweet, very juicy. I applaud them going out and makinmg a VERY natural flavored fruit beer. This one just isnt for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
EricE (1368) - Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - JUN 28, 2010
Deep red tinted pour with a light tan head. Sweet cherry soda aroma. Very sweet cherry pie flavor. Way too much for me too enjoy. The sweetness is cloying and almost candy like.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
kermis (5582) - The Hague, NETHERLANDS - JUN 8, 2014
UPDATED: JUN 9, 2014 Bottle shared. Pours clear red brown with a ring off white head. Aroma of sweet cherries. Flavour is over moderate sweet. Light medium bodied with high carbonation. Really don’t understand the big ratings in this, it’s like one of those sweetened Belgian Krieks that we all typically turn out noses up at.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
jskendzel (602) - Washington DC, USA - APR 24, 2002
I think they bottled cherry juice with sugar for this one. Wonderful taste, nice carbonation, but where are the hops? grain? yeast accents? I am a little disappointed in that I like fruit flavor as a sidenote that doesn’t dominate the entire profile of the beer. Great stuff to drink, but not beer!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
booyaatribe (453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 3, 2003
Anyone who likes this beer has clearly never had Rodenbach Red. You definitely taste a ton of extremely sweet Wisconsin cherries in here. Unfortunately, this leans a bit too hard into lambic/black cherry soda territory. It’s no Rodenbach, despite the fact that they claim it’s a ’Flanders Red.’ Waaaaay too sweet, and not nearly beerlike enough.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - DEC 17, 2005
75cl bottle. OK, not much to say about this. I can see why people might rave about this, but to me it is way to sweet and one dimensional on the cherries. Sorta like drinking a cherry pie. Maybe in the right food pairing a small glass of this would be tolerable...possibly even enjoyable...but I don’t enjoy it as a beer on its own.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
NachlamSie (2795) - Denver, Colorado, USA - SEP 21, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 29, 2009 bottle. I’m always skeptical when a fruit-flavored beer is so critically acclaimed. This pours very, very red with a decent white head. The aroma is packed completely full of cherries with some cinnamon perhaps in the background. The mouth again is loaded down with cherry with a finish like frosted Pop-tarts. The mouthfeel is very fizzy but slightly sticky, mostly with sweetness. I can say that the cherry flavor is very natural. I find the use of the word "Belgian" in the title to be rather misleading. This flirts with the problem of being cloying. It’s just so fruity and sweet, not really my favorite thing in a beer. I split the 750 with my girlfriend (thank God). I don’t think I could take a whole bottle of this stuff. This would be okay in small doses as a dessert, I suppose. I find it slightly baffling this would have such universal appeal among beer lovers since it lacks an abundance of more typical beer qualities. This doesn’t make it onto my personal favorite 50 beers, anyway.
[March 30, 2009]
Big bottle. Pours red. Really red. This is cherry juice. Now, okay, it is not soda-like. It is very natural cherry flavor. However, that is all that is here. This smells exactly like pure cherries. This tastes excatly like pure cherries. The finish has a bit of breadiness that makes this taste like liquid cherry pie. There is no other flavor or aroma. This does not resemble beer in any way due to the lack of hop, yeast, or malt flavor. This is cherry extract.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Marsiblursi (3021) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - NOV 16, 2006
(Bottle) Pours very suspect hazy brown/orange/red, like muddy seawater. Sweet cherry aroma with some cinamon. A slight peppery/spicy feeling. A bit sour but mostly sweet flavour with white sugar. Good mouthfeel untill the sugar kicks in.