overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1458   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Originally 5.1% - abv reduced to 4% sometime between 2009 and 2011.
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - MAR 29, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 3, 2004 Re-Rate 11/27/2004 Murky reddish body. Lasting pink head. The aroma is massive cherry. Revisiting this beer think that my initial exhuberence was a bit high. The flavor is totally cherry some light wheaty malt, but mainly cherry. I want to like it but it somehow does not mesh. It is too disjoint for me. The flavors are good but the sum is less than the parts.

Old Rating 8/4/8/3/17 - 4.0 Very nice red body with a lovely, creamy, rocky, red hued head that clings to the glass in great sheets. The aroma of cherries is evident the minute the cap is popped. The flavor is extraordinary, cherries are dominatn at first then a new level of complexity opens up as sweet malt and even some hops. The body is medium and quite lively with a very strong cherry aftertaste that manages to not where out its welcome or become cloying. A very unique and very good beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
MiP (14046) - Sønderborg, DENMARK - DEC 17, 2004
Bottle. Dark red/brown colour. Aroma of cherries/cherry sauce. Quite sweet, slightly acidic. Acidity burns at the back of my throat.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
sunevdj (3424) - Copenhagen OE, DENMARK - SEP 11, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 18, 2007 Many thanks to MIBRomeo, my "secret" Santa for this special brew. Pours a slightly hazy red with a pinkish/yellow head. Very loaded with cherry flavors. Medium sourness with a lower sweetness. Strong and quite peppery. High carbonation. Winey. Sour, bitter cherry-finish. This beer tastes like a mix of cold cherry sauce and cherry wine. Certainly a special and well made beer but why this figures on the top 50 list is beyond me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
orville (160) - Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 28, 2006
The strange thing about this "beer" is that I don’t like it, yet I rated it high. Its very complex in cherries and is quite good for a kriek lambic, but the problem is that it’s a kriek lambic. The only stlyes of beers that I hate are Lambics, fruit, and the dreaded scotch ale; too sweeeet. I recommend this beer, however, if you prefer sweet over bitter.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
yngwie (14904) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - MAY 30, 2007
Bottle, 75cl. (thx to papsoe) Red, almost clear brew with a slightly artificial-feeling cherry nose, followed by almond and sugar. Marzipan, cherry and sugar in the flavor. Full, sticky mouthfeel. Astringent, citric finish with cherry. Too sweet, almondy and artificial-feeling. Unbalanced on the sweet side. Ok, so it’s a nice beer, but I can’t understand why it has so high ratings. (070510)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Ernest (6576) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JAN 26, 2003
Head is initially small, fizzy, off-white, fully diminishing. Body is murky dark red. Aroma is lightly malty (toasted light bread), with a strong note of cherry. Flavor is heavily sweet, moderately acidic. Finish is moderately sweet, moderately acidic. Medium body, syrupy texture, lively carbonation. Very sweet...my girlfriend would love this. Enough tartness to keep it from being a total wash, though, and the aroma is strong with fresh cherry.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
JoeinDahlem (1366) - Berlin, Berlin, GERMANY - JUL 10, 2009
Pinkish-red beer with little but sweet cherries in the nose. Tastes pretty sweet but with a tangy, tart terry chang. I mean cherry tang. Whatever. Intense cherry flavor, almost one-dimensionally so. Lively mouthfeel. Dessert beer. Nothing wrong with that, but a bit sweet for my blood.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
cwsample (163) - Texas, USA - DEC 21, 2009
Bottle from Cavie. Immediately I am hit with an aroma of cherry cough syrup. The color is a nice dark red with a light pink head. The taste is not so heavy on the cough syrup, but still a bit bitter.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Benjii (3049) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - AUG 20, 2011
Bottle at Craigs. Pours a nice red colour with a lacy beige head. Aroma reminds me of cherry cough syrup. Really sweet cherry flavour. No almond. Lemon tartness that develops slowly and a foamy mouth-feel. This one divided opinion. Not really my thing, bit too sweet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
brian60625 (742) - Illinois, USA - SEP 26, 2011
3 ounce taster glass at New Glarus Brewery. I’ll admit it: my tastebuds are untrained in the art of fruit beer. This stuff tasted like cough syrup to me. My message is, even if you enjoy extreme-flavored beer, cherry varieties may not be your thing. Still, good luck to New Glarus on the frontier of brewing!