overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1426   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year. Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this beer uniquely “Wisconsin.” So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this beer to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - DEC 17, 2005
75cl bottle. OK, not much to say about this. I can see why people might rave about this, but to me it is way to sweet and one dimensional on the cherries. Sorta like drinking a cherry pie. Maybe in the right food pairing a small glass of this would be tolerable...possibly even enjoyable...but I don’t enjoy it as a beer on its own.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
NachlamSie (2795) - Denver, Colorado, USA - SEP 21, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 29, 2009 bottle. I’m always skeptical when a fruit-flavored beer is so critically acclaimed. This pours very, very red with a decent white head. The aroma is packed completely full of cherries with some cinnamon perhaps in the background. The mouth again is loaded down with cherry with a finish like frosted Pop-tarts. The mouthfeel is very fizzy but slightly sticky, mostly with sweetness. I can say that the cherry flavor is very natural. I find the use of the word "Belgian" in the title to be rather misleading. This flirts with the problem of being cloying. It’s just so fruity and sweet, not really my favorite thing in a beer. I split the 750 with my girlfriend (thank God). I don’t think I could take a whole bottle of this stuff. This would be okay in small doses as a dessert, I suppose. I find it slightly baffling this would have such universal appeal among beer lovers since it lacks an abundance of more typical beer qualities. This doesn’t make it onto my personal favorite 50 beers, anyway.
[March 30, 2009]
Big bottle. Pours red. Really red. This is cherry juice. Now, okay, it is not soda-like. It is very natural cherry flavor. However, that is all that is here. This smells exactly like pure cherries. This tastes excatly like pure cherries. The finish has a bit of breadiness that makes this taste like liquid cherry pie. There is no other flavor or aroma. This does not resemble beer in any way due to the lack of hop, yeast, or malt flavor. This is cherry extract.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Marsiblursi (3021) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - NOV 16, 2006
(Bottle) Pours very suspect hazy brown/orange/red, like muddy seawater. Sweet cherry aroma with some cinamon. A slight peppery/spicy feeling. A bit sour but mostly sweet flavour with white sugar. Good mouthfeel untill the sugar kicks in.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
rickgordon (3845) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - NOV 20, 2006
[Bottled. Thanks Kramer.] Hazy red-brown colour. Cherry stone and glue/almonds in aroma. Bit woody too. Sweet backbone with plain cherry. I’m puzzled - this is way too sweet. Was it sweetened with sugar? I know loads of cherries were added but this is not balance. Syrupy sweet this is. Fruity mustiness - good on you! Naah, this did not do it for me...

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
beerledgend (1197) - Waterloo, Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - SEP 5, 2004
Red in colour with thick white head. Big cherry aroma and bitter cherry tatse, followed by metalic mouthfeel. I have decided the cherrys are only good with coconut and choclate and called "Cherry Ripe"!!!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
ThomasE (5176) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - NOV 21, 2005
Reddish, amber colour with a very small head. Very sweet aroma and flavor with a cloyingly marzipan note. Faintly tart finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
brianjames1 (539) - Northridge, California, USA - MAY 15, 2010
750ml bottle into flute. All I can say is that much like the raspberry tart this beer is WAY too sweet, tastes like Robitussin. Maybe it gets better with age but this tastes like concentrated flavoring syrup, I don’t understand the high rating on this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 6/20
crajun (990) - , Texas, USA - MAR 20, 2011
bottle thanks to Bertram; had been saving this for my 200th rating!!! Unique is an understatement for this beer; cherries/fruit and carbonation were in the aroma (if that is possible) Ruby pour with slight pink white head. Did I mention unique?? Didn’t see others mention it, but to me this was champagne (not wine as bottle states) mixed with beer - then there was a bunch of sweet sticky cloying cherry sweetness (sweet more than cherry). As much as I wanted to like this (my 200th rating!) I didn’t... Not sure it is even a beer in the end; not sure I can finish the bottle; kudos to the effort (I still want to try much more NEw Glarus) but the result doesn’t work for me...

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
MartinKubert (862) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - NOV 23, 2005
Marzi-pain-in-the-ass. This is like marzipan nose-spray. The aroma is covered, the flavour is sharp and citric. A little like sour-mix. Murky reddish colour. Rather sweet finish. Longlasting citric fruitiness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Gazza (726) - Worcester, Worcestershire, ENGLAND - DEC 6, 2007
Bottle at Glasgow tasting. Well, how much hype does this have, and how much does it taste like Lindemans Kriek? A lovely cherry aroma but that’s the best bit as the taste is overly sweet, cloying and has hints of that red sauce you had on ice creams as a kid. Not enough lacticity, too much sweetness, and Lindemans is a lot, lot cheaper (and easier to get).