New Glarus Zwickel

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 92   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.4   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Straight from the tanks, unfiltered, this bier has undergone its third and final fermentation in the bottle in order to insure you the freshest possible lager bier. Expect this bier to be smooth, full-bodied, and slightly cloudy. The brewer’s yeast imparts a mild, fresh character which is as close as you can get to brewery fresh.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
JCW (1275) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAY 6, 2003
Hazy and yellow colored, not much of a head. I'm not sure what Zwickel should taste like, so I'll describe this one, best I can and you decide if its a good Zwickel. Yeasty and light. Reminds me of a deluted Belgian Blonde Ale. It has some of the barnyard type flavors, but everything is light, nothing is going to knock you over. I like it for what thats worth.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
redlem (1306) - Ohio, USA - MAR 1, 2003
Slightly hazy yellow with a......what the hell, I have already rated this beer twice tonite. This taste the same as their Blonde and the Spotted Cow, until I look at the labels on my empty bottles I would be second guessing myself that I have drank the same beer all night instead of 3 different ones. If you have tried any of these 3 then save your money and dont try the other 2. I dont like Groundhog days.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
21iceman40 (1732) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 5, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 8, 2003 Yet another great brew from New Glarus. But what is a zwickel? I must admit this is the first time that I have heard the word. It wasn't powerful, and nothing really stood out, but damn was it a good level of medium. A great beer without having to be overstated in any of the categories.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
beerguy101 (5294) - Newark, California, USA - JAN 29, 2003
Medium gold color. Small head. Aroma is malty and a little ciderish. A lighter bodied beer. Milder tasting. Sort of lager-ish, but not a lager. Mild malts, slightly hoppy and somewhat yeasty. Extremely smooth. Hints of fruit and bread. Lots of flavor for such a mild tasting beer. Very tasty. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is malty sweet.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 3, 2002
Nice golden color, not cloudy like I’d expected. Zero carbination. Smell reminds me of cider. Slightly sweet and fruity. Very easily drinkable. I found myself chugging this beer quickly. May become a regular session beer for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - DEC 2, 2002
Had a couple of disappointing NG brews at this session, but luckily had some Uff-da to fall back on and this guy, a solid bread rich lager with a fine subtle rise of hops, liek the smoke fingering out of chineys across Wisconisn on this frigid morning.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
drywallman (334) - Lake in the Hills, Illinois, USA - NOV 19, 2002
This beer had a nice initial head and a fresh biscuity aroma. It was very smooth with maybe a ginger/grainy taste. I would recommend it as a very good every day and session beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - OCT 24, 2002
Beautiful peach color with a head that thinned rapidly. The aroma was extremely subtle, but it contained some spice like a hefe or a saison. Fantastic hop tone hits you in the first sip ... I would love to find out what hops went into this brew. The hops act as a vanguard for a slowly raising malt sweetness. This is a wonderful lager brewed in the German tradition.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
NDmullet (208) - South Bend, Indiana, USA - OCT 2, 2002
The last bottle left from my visit to New Glarus in August (oh, except for that Belgian Red). Thin golden color, slightly cloudy after swirling in the bottom of the bottle. Just a rim of head around the glass, light carbonation. Grainy aroma, like corn flakes cereal (not a bad thing), and mildly wheaty, in a wit sort of way. Defined malt presence, almost bittersweet, with good texture and balance. Very smooth, maybe due to the bottle conditioning? This is a don’t-think-just-drink beer, and a good one at that.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
baseballguy (246) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 23, 2002
Not bad, but I much prefer the New Glarus Spotted Cow.