overall

RATINGS: 33   MEAN: 3.67/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
This beer has a robust roast flavor with a pleasant hop aroma and mellow hop finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
daboskabouter (1470) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 24, 2002
Brown, some head. Some malty flavors in the body, bitter hop finish. OK.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BrockLandersLS (109) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 7, 2002
Funk introduced me to this unbelievable beverage and call me impressed. It is smooth from start to finish with a variety of chocolatety-alish overtones finished with just the right amount of hops. DELICIOUS!

pauliefrog99 (302) - FLINT, Michigan, USA - MAR 22, 2002
Great roasted malt flavor. Good job New Holland. Has quite a kick.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
AlGreen99 (33) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - FEB 11, 2002
Strong hop flavour, with good mellow feel. Good beer to sit down and drink all night, just talk to Under-age Drinker.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - FEB 4, 2002
Wonderful full bodied brown ale, good strong flavor, all in all a great brown ale

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - JAN 19, 2002
I agree entirely with what Hennes says re: this quite roasty-nosed brew, except I woundn’t characterize it as mellow, exactly. I also believe the quality of the midwestern brown styles, which I am now certain exists separate from, say, California browns, is extraordinary. Very nice beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - DEC 15, 2001
Well, I defy other states to come up with Michigan’s range and quality of brown ales. This is the second one I’ve had this week on par with Bell’s Best and Boyne River. (the other is Dark Horse’s Boffo). Kourage is mellow like a clarinet is mellow, like a gouda cheese is mellow, full and round and robust with its nice brown malts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
FUNK (120) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 28, 2001
This was damn good. Has a chocolaty taste with a hint of coffee. I was so impressed I filled my growler up with it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Under-age Drinker (96) - Colorado, USA - NOV 22, 2001
man it took me a whole lot of courage to keep coming back to the Kourage keg to fill my glass...it was so rich, so good, and i was so drunk p.s. (if growlers are lacking, use a few empty 2 litres to finish off the leftover keg the next morning...they’re great for long car rides)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
bipolar1 (268) - Hancock, Michigan, USA - SEP 21, 2001
UPDATED: MAR 12, 2005 There’s a little carbonation problem here. If you pour this into a glass, it instantly fills with foam. Taking a drink out of the bottle, so much pressure built up, foam flew everywhere. I like the flavor, but WOW, you have to be able to pour and drink the stuff