overall

RATINGS: 1006   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
This stout is sheer beer poetry. Let it warm to about 45 F and pour it into a glass to fully experience its rich, roasty flavors and hints of coffee and chocolate. One glass and you’ll agree: The Poet is truly a rich, creamy brew of epic proportions.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
demannu (148) - New Jersey, USA - FEB 28, 2015
Very pleasing aroma of chocolate with some roasted coffee beans as well. Mouth feel is creamy and smooth like an oatmeal stout should be. Taste follows the smell with both milk and dark chocolates along with notes of roasted coffee before finishing with a surprising smoky slight bitterness. Not an elite stout but still solid.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SlovakSniper (3710) - Candiac, Quebec, CANADA - FEB 20, 2015
The Raven BY EDGAR ALLAN POE Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary, Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore— While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping, As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. “’Tis some visitor,” I muttered, “tapping at my chamber door— Only this and nothing more.” Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December; And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor. Eagerly I wished the morrow;—vainly I had sought to borrow From my books surcease of sorrow—sorrow for the lost Lenore— For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore— Nameless here for evermore. And the silken, sad, uncertain rustling of each purple curtain Thrilled me—filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before; So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I stood repeating “’Tis some visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door— Some late visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door;— This it is and nothing more.” Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer, “Sir,” said I, “or Madam, truly your forgiveness I implore; But the fact is I was napping, and so gently you came rapping, And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door, That I scarce was sure I heard you”—here I opened wide the door;— Darkness there and nothing more. Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before; But the silence was unbroken, and the stillness gave no token, And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, “Lenore?” This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, “Lenore!”— Merely this and nothing more. Back into the chamber turning, all my soul within me burning, Soon again I heard a tapping somewhat louder than before. “Surely,” said I, “surely that is something at my window lattice; Let me see, then, what thereat is, and this mystery explore— Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore;— ’Tis the wind and nothing more!” Open here I flung the shutter, when, with many a flirt and flutter, In there stepped a stately Raven of the saintly days of yore; Not the least obeisance made he; not a minute stopped or stayed he; But, with mien of lord or lady, perched above my chamber door— Perched upon a bust of Pallas just above my chamber door— Perched, and sat, and nothing more. Then this ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling, By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore, “Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou,” I said, “art sure no craven, Ghastly grim and ancient Raven wandering from the Nightly shore— Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night’s Plutonian shore!” Quoth the Raven “Nevermore.” Much I marvelled this ungainly fowl to hear discourse so plainly, Though its answer little meaning—little relevancy bore; For we cannot help agreeing that no living human being Ever yet was blessed with seeing bird above his chamber door— Bird or beast upon the sculptured bust above his chamber door, With such name as “Nevermore.” But the Raven, sitting lonely on the placid bust, spoke only That one word, as if his soul in that one word he did outpour. Nothing farther then he uttered—not a feather then he fluttered— Till I scarcely more than muttered “Other friends have flown before— On the morrow he will leave me, as my Hopes have flown before.” Then the bird said “Nevermore.” Startled at the stillness broken by reply so aptly spoken, “Doubtless,” said I, “what it utters is its only stock and store Caught from some unhappy master whom unmerciful Disaster Followed fast and followed faster till his songs one burden bore— Till the dirges of his Hope that melancholy burden bore Of ‘Never—nevermore’.” But the Raven still beguiling all my fancy into smiling, Straight I wheeled a cushioned seat in front of bird, and bust and door; Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore— What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt, and ominous bird of yore Meant in croaking “Nevermore.” This I sat engaged in guessing, but no syllable expressing To the fowl whose fiery eyes now burned into my bosom’s core; This and more I sat divining, with my head at ease reclining On the cushion’s velvet lining that the lamp-light gloated o’er, But whose velvet-violet lining with the lamp-light gloating o’er, She shall press, ah, nevermore! Then, methought, the air grew denser, perfumed from an unseen censer Swung by Seraphim whose foot-falls tinkled on the tufted floor. “Wretch,” I cried, “thy God hath lent thee—by these angels he hath sent thee Respite—respite and nepenthe from thy memories of Lenore; Quaff, oh quaff this kind nepenthe and forget this lost Lenore!” Quoth the Raven “Nevermore.” “Prophet!” said I, “thing of evil!—prophet still, if bird or devil!— Whether Tempter sent, or whether tempest tossed thee here ashore, Desolate yet all undaunted, on this desert land enchanted— On this home by Horror haunted—tell me truly, I implore— Is there—is there balm in Gilead?—tell me—tell me, I implore!” Quoth the Raven “Nevermore.” “Prophet!” said I, “thing of evil!—prophet still, if bird or devil! By that Heaven that bends above us—by that God we both adore— Tell this soul with sorrow laden if, within the distant Aidenn, It shall clasp a sainted maiden whom the angels name Lenore— Clasp a rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore.” Quoth the Raven “Nevermore.” “Be that word our sign of parting, bird or fiend!” I shrieked, upstarting— “Get thee back into the tempest and the Night’s Plutonian shore! Leave no black plume as a token of that lie thy soul hath spoken! Leave my loneliness unbroken!—quit the bust above my door! Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door!” Quoth the Raven “Nevermore.” And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door; And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon’s that is dreaming, And the lamp-light o’er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor; And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor Shall be lifted—nevermore!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
stldicedealer (24) - Missouri, USA - FEB 13, 2015
Pour from 12 0z bottle to shaker. Pours dark with a thin head that falls fairly fast with minimal lacing, but it is a stout after all. Aroma is of chocolate and coffee. For the price this is worth a try

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
drjay44 (2897) - Salida, Colorado, USA - FEB 8, 2015
12 oz. bottle. Pours a medium, beige, well retained head, with slight lacing, over a clear dark brown (SRM 34) body.....nose is cocoa, chocolate, light coffee from the roasted malts, slight toffee/caramel, oats, light herbal notes from the hops, balance to the malts......taste is slightly toffee/caramel sweet, with cocoa, chocolate, light herbal hops, finishing mildly bitter, balance to the malts....mouth feel, medium body, sticky, no alcohol, creamy mouth feel. This is a sweet, creamy, cocoa, chocolate dominated Stout. It is a bit too sweet for my liking, but it is a well made beer, and falls well into the style. BJCP 8/3/14/4/7

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
solidfunk (4981) - Washington D.C., Washington DC, USA - FEB 6, 2015
I like this. Well balanced and rich at the same time. Notes of coffee, dark chocolate and nut. Medium bitter finish. Pours black with mocha head and lacing. Thick consistency. Tap.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HighlanderOne (1051) - Bergen County, New Jersey, USA - FEB 1, 2015
Poured from bottle. Aroma of roasted malt and coffee. Stout black with lacing tan head. Tasting burnt malt, toffee, licorice, cocoa, coffee. Creamy feel. Not too dry and not too sweet. Quite good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Frozer (187) - Illinois, USA - JAN 31, 2015
Pours Black with very little tan head. Sweet chocolate nose. Great lacing. Black coffee bean flavor hints of dark cacao. Full bodies, little carbonation, smooth

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
BeerInHeaven (237) - Brillion, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 29, 2015
pours black with a thick tan head. Aroma is malt, biscuit, and just a hint of coffee. Thick creamy mouth feel. Taste is malty, faintly sweet. Just a hint of bitter on a quick finish. Good beer!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
chinchill (2771) - South Carolina, USA - JAN 28, 2015
undated 12oz bottle from notes. Allowed to warm for about 40 minutes, then served in Unibroue snifter. A: The beer is very dark brown, nearly black, but clear. The sparse head color, with a short dense off-white head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass. S: The aroma is rich but not strong. Roasted malts, plums and other dark fruits, some coffee, oatmeal and chocolate. Sweet. T: The taste starts out sweet; too sweet were it not for the rapid fill of dark roasted malt and oatmeal flavor that turns very mildly bitter in the finish. The finish also brings out some espresso and a trace of charcoal. Milk chocolate throughout. There’s some creaminess but also some metallicness to it. Some flavors of dark fruit and a mild but complementary hops presence in the background that help bring a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet. M: Creamy smooth; enough carbonation to impart a light crispness; Medium body. O: A sweet and rich oatmeal stout,with an exceptionally creamy feel.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
decaturstevo (5395) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - JAN 28, 2015
Brown pour with creamy tan head and lace. Aroma is medium chocolate and roasted maltiness. Flavor is semi sweet start with a light/medium malt bitter. Medium body with good carbonation. Pretty solid.