RATINGS: 1066   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
This stout is sheer beer poetry. Let it warm to about 45 F and pour it into a glass to fully experience its rich, roasty flavors and hints of coffee and chocolate. One glass and you’ll agree: The Poet is truly a rich, creamy brew of epic proportions.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
StFun (567) - Indiana, USA - FEB 11, 2008
One upon a craftbeer tripy, while I pounded Ales and IMPies,
Over many a rate and delicious craftbeer of forgotton lore,
While I nodded, slowly ambling, suddenly there came a grabbing,
As of someone wildly rambling, rambling at my craftbeer store.
‘Tis some drunkard,’ I muttered, ‘grabbing at my craftbeer store-
Wanting piss and nothing more.

Ah, distinctly I remember, it was in the bleak October
And as I sat dyingly sober, ready fopr the beer to pour
Eagerly I wished the growler; -vainly I had sought for hours-
From my wants of drunken power-power for this Stout of War-
For the rare and radiant marzen which was not the Stout of War-
Nameless here for evermore

Of the silken jet black throttle, pouring of each purple bottle
Thrilled me – filled me with a nutty flavor, I had tasted once before;
So that now, to still the yearning for oat-n-chocolate, I stood repeating
To the flavors were secreting , too strong, left me wanting more-
Some flavors were secreting, too strong left me wanting more
Quote this Raven, nevermore.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
jbuzz (812) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 11, 2008
Had at a tasting at Three Cellars. I was disappointed in this. It had a roasted feeling ,Sweet chocolate a litter bitterness , heavier than expected even for a stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dmac (5635) - Toms River, New Jersey, USA - FEB 10, 2008
Draft at Barcade. Deep dark pour, well everything in there is pretty dark. Aroma of coffee and chocolate with a light touch of raostiness. Flavor follows suite with lots of coffee and chocolate coming through. Not sure about the poet but I did feel some sort of inspiration after drinking this.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
railcat1 (702) - Kissimmee, Florida, USA - FEB 10, 2008
This was alright but kind a thin ,still it had a nice roasty and malty finish with a rich and creamy mix in it CHEERS!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jvittorio4187 (255) - Boardman, Ohio, USA - FEB 6, 2008
Pours a deep black with a thin beige head. Sweet chocolate, roast, and oats on the nose. Body is heavier than expected, but then again it is an oatmeal stout. Mouthfeel is sliky. Sweet chocolate on the palate. Finish is like candy with a slight bitterness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
gws57 (1275) - Saint Charles, Illinois, USA - JAN 25, 2008
Found this one bottled in Belvidere, Illinois. Opaque, dark red pour with a tan, filmy head. Sweet, malty nose with notes of plum and chocolate. Fantastic flavor, milky mouthfeel with an amazing finish of roasted almonds, bitter coffee and caramel. Strong, but very nice.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
joe1510 (501) - Illinois, USA - JAN 23, 2008
12oz Bottle $7.99 6-Pack Route 6 Liquors The Poet pours chestnut brown with mahogany highlights when directly backlit. A one finger beige head appeared on the pour an dsettled to a respectable cap. Leaves some patchy lacing here and there. Looks good. Smell is much different than I expected. There’s a lot of hazelnut, so much so I’m reminded of Rogue’s Hazelnut Nectar (which I like by the way). There’s some roasted maltiness in the distance with some mild coffee grounds but for the most part hazelnut dominates. Now this tastes a lot more like an oatmeal stout than the nose led me to believe. Roasted maltiness is in perfect harmony with a wave of freshly brewed coffee. There’s still a touch of the hazelnut but seems to stay in the background and compliment instead of dominate. The mouthfeel is just what you want from a stout and without a doubt the oatmeal plays a role. Silky smooth and slick with a body on the heavier side of medium. I could easily sit down and drink a few of these in a session. The moderate body and silkiness helps without a doubt. The Poet turned out to be a pretty solid stout from New Holland. I would pick this up again when in the mood for an oatmeal stout. Unique for the style. 1/13/07

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
NicerInPerson (337) - North of Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JAN 22, 2008
The aroma was fruity and roasty when first poured. Chocolate and coffee came forth with a dark roasty note of espresso and some acidity from the dark grains. Some grassy hop aromas lurked in the background as did a smidge of caramel. The beer poured into the glass black with a ruby highlight and a beige head which retreated quickly to just barely manage to lace the glass. The flavor was nicely achieved with a moderate level of roasty espresso coffee and dark chocolate and a caramel presence which kept everything from going bone dry. The bittering was crisp and lightly grassy and the beer had a nice fruity aspect. The finish was dry with lasting chocolate and roast into the aftertaste. The body was medium full and the carbonation on the low side, yet the beer was creamy and smooth on the palate. A very nice stout, good job! 12 ounce bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
bu11zeye (12757) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - JAN 19, 2008
(Bottle) Pours a dark brown body with a medium-sized tan head. Aroma of roastiness, espresso, chocolate, and some notes of plum. Flavor of roasted malt, chocolate, and dark fruit with a creamy mouthfeel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
troyc (2869) - Illinois, USA - JAN 17, 2008
(Bottle) Pours a inky dark brown color with a small brown head. Aroma of roasted grain, toffee, and coffee. Good amount of oatmeal notes in here as well. Chocolate notes in the finish. Average mouthfeel and palate. I enjoyed this beer.