overall

RATINGS: 956   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
This stout is sheer beer poetry. Let it warm to about 45 F and pour it into a glass to fully experience its rich, roasty flavors and hints of coffee and chocolate. One glass and youíll agree: The Poet is truly a rich, creamy brew of epic proportions.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
RyanMM (411) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - JUN 11, 2009
I know this is supposed to be an oatmeal stout, but it reminds me more of the porters that Iíve become fond of. Great malty aroma, beautiful dark pour, and just a wonderful flavor and taste profile. Iíve only had 2 of these, but Iím going to need to drink it side by side with my current favorites and re-rate them against each other, because this one could tie or better some of them.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
william146 (80) - Winterville, North Carolina, USA - MAR 14, 2010
Purchased at World Market, Winston-Salem, NC Robust scent - absolutely perfect smell for a stout! Great, rich taste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jebert (500) - Watertown, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 23, 2012
Pours raven black with a creamy tan head. Coffee, chocolate and oatmeal greet the nose. Taste is chock full of dark roasted malt with chocolate and coffee notes accompanied by an unparalleled creaminess. Very muted hops. Pouring and enjoying this beer is poetry in motion. Pairs well with beef, soft-ripened cheeses and chocolate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
hopslamer (1) - Plymouth, USA - JAN 25, 2013 does not count
Light bodied stout, dark rich color, small head. Hints of hops and malt in the aroma. Rich smooth chocolate flavor on first taste, mellowing off to a light coffee flavor on the finish. Great beer, would buy again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Brentv (398) - Portland, Oregon, USA - OCT 27, 2013
Poured from the bottle a deep brown/black with a beautiful tan head. Not much aroma, but a bit of chocolate and raisins. Malty and rich, balanced with distant hops. This beer has a silky mouthfeel. A delight to drink.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Erikh04 (130) - - OCT 31, 2013
Very smooth. Great mouthfeel. Has a nice roasted flavor with hints of coffee an chocolate. Very good stout. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mikedR (1339) - Gilbert, Arizona, USA - SEP 7, 2014
Superb. Very much a prototypical oatmeal stout. Smooth. Great malt flavors. Sweet, but not too much.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
obisbeer (565) - Barcelona, SPAIN - JUL 15, 2004
Deep amber brown/black with little or no head. Sour sweetnose, with some hops and coffee notes. Slight prickle, with light palate and a lingering finish. Chocolate, coffee, slight sweet creaminess, some bitter hops on teh finish. Great Beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
walleye (1067) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - DEC 17, 2004
I have 2 reviews for this beer the 1st is from a bottle I found in a local store. I messaged new holland this is the reply. Jim, The "Olde Poet" was the previous incarnation of the "Poet". I donít really know what the motivation was to drop the "olde" from the name. However, I do know that we havenít bottled the oatmeal stout with the "Olde Poet" name on it since I have taken over the brewery (which has been 2.5 yrs ago). Additionally, when I came in we reformulated the recipe. Therefore, the bottle that you have in your hand is significantly outdated and I cannot speak to the quality of the beer in that bottle. I am sure that if you wanted to take it back to where you purchased it from we could work it back through the system and get everybody their money back. However, it might be interesting to try it and see how it has held up. Your call, although, once you have opened it I canít take it back - especially since we have had this conversation. Finally, we do our best to try to get outdated beer back to the brewery to be destroyed. However, we are very reliant upon our retailers and distributors to help get it back to us (we have a sales staff of 2 people for a 7 state area - they just canít get to every retailer that carries our products to check for dates). As you might imagine this sometimes becomes a problem because those entities usually like to see the beer moving in one direction and that is out to the consumer not back to the brewery. If you do decide to try it I would be interested in hearing how it tasted. Cheers, John Haggerty Brewmaster New Holland Brewing Co. 205 Fairbanks Ave. Holland, MI 49423 john@newhollandbrew.com so here is the 1st rating aroma 4. app. 5. flav.7. pal.3 overall.15. The pour and aroma, and flavor was about the same. but the new bottle was more robust. poured garnet, light tan head. aroma coffee, malts caramel, choc.. flavor was the same but the new one got honey and raisins.the at least 2 1/2 year beer held up well.the rating posted is for the new

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
burgerlicious (308) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - MAY 13, 2005
let it warm till 45 degrees? whoa, iíve got to try that. it was pretty darn good anyway. i was pretty darn impressed with this brew, other than its frequent over-the-top headiness...