Brewed by John Smiths (Heineken UK)
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3677   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.95/5   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in keg and bottle.
Newcastle Brown Ale was first brewed in 1927 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, by Jim Porter after three years of development. Production moved from Newcastle to Gateshead at the end of 2004 and to Tadcaster on closure of the Dunston brewery in 2010.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
weusebio (69) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 28, 2003
Nothing shocking here. Just an easy to drink brown ale (yes, brown). It's one advantage is it's crisper than some beers you'll find in british style pubs (boddingtons or guinness) and it makes a good contrast to either of those.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Boystout (1000) - Chisinau, MOLDOVA - AUG 28, 2003
Standard brown ale (color was truly brown) with almost no head. Pleasant sweet aroma, not very complex though... Not much to write about palate: malts with light caramel. High carbonation. Good session beer but not 3D.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
ante (3374) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - AUG 27, 2003
(sigh...) Brown color with a very small head. Sweet aroma of burnt sugar. Fruity flavour wiyh some cherry notes and burnt sugar. Flat and metallic mouthfeel. Sweet and sticky fruity finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
happy4hops (376) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - AUG 26, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 27, 2003 It's very true...Get the "fresher" bottles in the 12-pks(enclosed)These just came in tonight and smell like a nice slightly nutty good beer/crossed w/ a "normal beer".Pours out an amazing red/amber/weak head/lace.Tastes nice when fresh.Malty & a bit hoppy? in it's own respect.Quick dry finish.I like it alot though I get it for 10.50 a 12-pk(mcewan's IPA is a touch better)but this is a slugger!By the way,pour this one out of it's stanky bottle!Sweet & a tease of roasted...

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - AUG 25, 2003
I wish they'd just bite the damn bullet and put this in a brown bottle (same with Sammy Smith's) because I can't help but think every damn bottle I've had has been exposed to far too much light. I respect the absolutely amazing cultural appeal of this beer, and the traditional methods with which it is brewed, but I just don't think it's that great. Startling levels of tinniness exist in the malt which invade every aspect of the beer other than the appearance (which is very classic brown). It smells like a tin can that at one time contained caramel syrup, it tastes like you are licking a piece of metal (lightly coated with caramel), and the mouthfeel is *gasp* tinny. This may be a cultural icon, but so is Bud.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
DavidP (1747) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 22, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 7, 2003 Watery, with an oily nut taste. I've had it both on tap and from the bottle, and it was about the same in both places.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
FtWorthBrew (105) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - AUG 21, 2003
Maybe It would be beter on tap but from the botttle its pretty plain. Definantly did not live up to the hype

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Silphium (3190) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - AUG 19, 2003
I've tried this beer several times and believe I finally received a glass worth rating. It's tough to find a good Newcastle. That said, this was on tap. Slightly nutty aroma, typical cask-conditioned carbonation (not my favorite). Flavor was light and malty. I can see how this could start journeys into better beers, but otherwise Newcastle is nothing special.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jek803 (41) - USA - AUG 14, 2003
I thought this was good. Nice appearance. Big beige head that settles quickly, with little lacing. Lite mouth-feel. VERY mild...some maltiness. As I drank, I could taste fruit in the drinking and in the finish. Long lasting dry/fruity after-taste. A good session beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
McWhite (108) - Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 12, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 18, 2003 I thought this was okay, I expected more because of the praise my friends had given it. It seemed like it lacked taste; as though it should be maltier. Something lacked in my opinion.