overall
Brewed by John Smiths (Heineken UK)
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3389   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.97   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in keg and bottle.
Newcastle Brown Ale was first brewed in 1927 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, by Jim Porter after three years of development. Production moved from Newcastle to Gateshead at the end of 2004 and to Tadcaster on closure of the Dunston brewery in 2010.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
dirtymike (2016) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - AUG 4, 2002
The King of the Mass market brown ales, did I mention mass market brown ales bore me? No, well now I have.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
boto (1808) - Granby, Connecticut, USA - AUG 4, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 4, 2003 Not too bad. Pours a decent brown, with some nuttiness and maltiness in the aroma. Similar tastes as the aroma. Definitely nothing special, but decent as compared to many macros. It did make Maggie Thatcher rather tough!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
stoutosaurus (157) - Clinton, Mississippi, USA - AUG 4, 2002
Not a huge brown ale fan, but Iíll drink them from time to time. Nothing special here, thatís for sure. Seems to have a sentimental value for alot of people.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
amosmoses99 (17) - CANADA - AUG 4, 2002
First had it in Newcastle itself so maybe Iím biased but I love this beer. Full bodied beautiful colour and a nice aroma. Very malty but not overpowering.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
hopscotch (8552) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 4, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 10, 2003 This beer rocks... and has been doing so for a very long time. The beer is a beautiful brown/amber. The aroma is slightly floral and very malty. The flavor is malty, with a nice burst of almond liquor. Slightly more bitter than most brown ales I have tried. Finishes dry and a touch bitter. Very nice beer. Excellent brown ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
snyderceo (7) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - AUG 3, 2002 does not count
Something changed. Different product than I drank in the early 90ís.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
djbuddha (90) - Many, Louisiana, USA - AUG 3, 2002
I had heard a lot about this beer, but had never had a chance to try it. I was very surprised to find it in a local convenience store. I must say that I am quite impressed with it. Great dark color, great taste, and smelled excellent. Something I can definately drink more of if I can find it again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
labattblueleaf (225) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - JUL 29, 2002
I was excited to try this for the first time as many of my friends rave over it. I found it to be average. I would prefer Honey Brown or Bellís Big Brown over this. Maybe itís just a tad too bitter for my taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
007lund (92) - Ann Arbor, USA - JUL 28, 2002
The head is almost non-existent, and the taste is not very complex, but this beer is very smooth and delicious. A beautiful deep brown color, with a pleasant aroma. I prefer this beer to just about any other beer, although I have not yet had a great variety.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
jpknight22 (171) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - JUL 28, 2002
OK, so I havenít quite figured out what the rave is all about. Iíd prefer this beer to most American Beers on any given day, but I wouldnít go out of my way to find this beer. Not much to say about this beer other than it represents a sterotypical light brown ale. I think this is a beer suited for my college buddies who are acquiring a taste for something better and more original than Bud Light. But its a soild, drinkable, and consistently good beer so I will rate it that way.