overall
Brewed by John Smiths (Heineken UK)
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3453   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.97   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in keg and bottle.
Newcastle Brown Ale was first brewed in 1927 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, by Jim Porter after three years of development. Production moved from Newcastle to Gateshead at the end of 2004 and to Tadcaster on closure of the Dunston brewery in 2010.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
OlJuntan64 (1265) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - SEP 13, 2002
On tap, Paddington Ale House Perth
Served too cold but when it warmed up was probably a touch better than in the bottle. Also picks up an extra Overall point because of cool live band playing at the time (ie my sons funk-rock band)
First rating April 23 2002 This beer brings back many memories than it has taste. I canít understand why the one I have in Newcastle last month tasted so much better than this one (in Belgium)?

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
howie (549) - DeForest, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 10, 2002
Itís all over the place at a premium price, so it must be great, right? Itís not. Itís OK. I canít even pick out anything worth commenting on. Anyway, there are too many other options at this price to drink any more of this.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
stephen (308) - California, USA - SEP 7, 2002
Pours with average carbonation and medium sized head. Aroma is somewhat neutral with hints of caramel. Flavor is slightly grainy and slightly malty. Very drinkable.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mancer99 (13) - California, USA - SEP 7, 2002
Was my first brown ale and will always be a sentimental favorite. Good beer, watch out for skunk.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Aurelius (4107) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - SEP 6, 2002
This is one of the most variable beers that Iíve ever seen. Sometimes almost like alt -- grainy/cherry flavored. Sometimes not. Aroma is slightly laced with sulphur. Aroma and flavor are grassy, grainy. Perhaps a wee bit smokey. Wisps of berry flavor. Thinnish palate, but smooth, smooth. Clean drinking and decent brown ale. This is often the best thing that you can get, and itís a better choice than American mass-production stuff. Beware the clear bottle, because youíll occasionally get a real skunky six.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 6, 2002
NOt as good as on tap. Some nice balance in the malt and haps. Not too bitter. Smooth, but not excedingly so.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - SEP 5, 2002
I have always liked Newcastle. Although since I moved to Colorado, and then got corrupted by Ratebeer.com, I have found better beers, I am sticking to my original rating for both bottles and draught. Plus I can get it on tap at my local dive bar for $1.50 every day from 3-6pm.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
mutant (854) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - SEP 3, 2002
Strong brown sugar aroma. Taste & texture is very light & watery. Only slight bitterness. Too weak for me, smells good tastes poor, definitely overrated

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
homerman (40) - Clinton, Iowa, USA - SEP 3, 2002
Yes, I agree this is the one and only. This is very good. Did I mention it is as smooth as a babies behind. The only better is the brown ale I brew myself at home.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
dominion (78) - charlotte, North Carolina, USA - AUG 30, 2002
Good beer, slight sweet swell, bnice brown color and good finish