Brewed by John Smiths (Heineken UK)
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3676   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.95/5   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in keg and bottle.
Newcastle Brown Ale was first brewed in 1927 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, by Jim Porter after three years of development. Production moved from Newcastle to Gateshead at the end of 2004 and to Tadcaster on closure of the Dunston brewery in 2010.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Gearwar (56) - Rochester, New Hampshire, USA - JUN 25, 2003
Newcastle brown ale is a nice beer, with a nutty taste and smooth draw. I still order it from time to time at the pub and although not my favorte, it does rank up there with the better beers.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
steyrman (12) - TORONTO, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 24, 2003
I used to drink this years ago when I was underage. I remember it having a kind of smoky taste, with a touch of nuttiness to it. Maybe because I'm older now (much), it's lost its thrill. I found it kind of flabby, to be honest, and a bit on the flat side.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Smacky (71) - San Clemente, California, USA - JUN 24, 2003
Newcastle is ok. Can be drunk anywhere, anytime. I prefer Rogue's Hazelnut or, if not available, Sam Smith's Nut Brown.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
waveman352 (178) - Saratoga Springs, New York, USA - JUN 23, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 19, 2005 Nice brown color with anutty taste. I like the after taste it leaves. A great beer to try if you like bass and guiness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
BBB63 (6507) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - JUN 19, 2003
Light brown color with minimal head, no lacing, thin-to medium body. Hints of hazelnut, caramel, and watermelon. Somewhat floral aroma. Malty flavor, somewhat sweet, with a hint of rye. Dry finish with lingering malty aftertaste. Very average brown, minimal complexity.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
SG (465) - Valley Center, California, USA - JUN 19, 2003
Nice brown color, foamy head. Very light on flavor as brown ales go, drinkable. I've noticed in the past that a lot of bottled Newcastle get a rusty aftertaste. This one is good though. A hint of caramel. One of the better mass produced beers that is easy to find just about anywhere.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Lizabeth (360) - east falmouth, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 14, 2003
Rich brown color, creamy off white head. Aromas of malt, caramel, vanilla, and hazelnuts entice one to take a sip. The flavor is full and undeniably malty, with caramel and molasses notes in the forefront. A smooth, easily drinkable beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
maxwellplum (54) - USA - JUN 13, 2003
A nice brown ale, there is a nut finish, which makes it go down good. I've had best luck out of the bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
hp38 (4) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUN 13, 2003 does not count
Has a nice brown color and a nice slightly bitter taste if possible you should try the draft of this although the bottled one is good as well

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - JUN 10, 2003
Medium brown color with golden patches in the light. This is probably the beer that was my transitional beer to the "good" beer world. I remember it tasting better on tap, or was I just drunk! Lighter bodied than I remember.