overall
Brewed by John Smiths (Heineken UK)
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3594   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.96   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in keg and bottle.
Newcastle Brown Ale was first brewed in 1927 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, by Jim Porter after three years of development. Production moved from Newcastle to Gateshead at the end of 2004 and to Tadcaster on closure of the Dunston brewery in 2010.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
mikeben (355) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - FEB 9, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 17, 2004 rerate. I was totally knocked out by it this time. I rated it many years ago and though I liked it then, now I love it. Just as good as Guiness and unlike other brown ales I have had It has no unpleasent aftertaste. I liked that it was slightly creamy and sweet. Definitly will buy it again. I hear there is Newcastle Beer Ice cream Bring it to the States!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
blank (996) - Austin, Texas, USA - FEB 7, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 12, 2005 Still my favorite "drinking beers. I guess this the beer gods version of "light beer that I can drink all night." Definatly like draft beer, but I still have a fridge fulll of this stuff... ReRated: Yeah, yeah.. so it was a little high. That’s what a few years of the good stuff will do to collage ratings.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
wilkie (1208) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - FEB 7, 2003
Thin head. Little aroma. No hop flavor, the malt is not balanced very well at all. Has a chemical taste to it. Very weak for a nut brown. Are we sure this isn't bottled by Coors?

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
JFGrind (1892) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 7, 2003
I usually drink "Nukie Brown" from the bottle. Draught version had a thinner head. Great beer to drink when the weather is warm.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Nagash (207) - Paris, FRANCE - FEB 6, 2003
Caramel flavor. Just strong enough. Very good in all occasions. Maybe my favorite brown ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Trappist (286) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 5, 2003
This is very good, especially on tap. It is a nice brown color with a small white foamy head, and not stong. A nice nutty hoppy flavor.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 5, 2003
One of the first imports I ever started drinking. This is a very refreshing beer. As far as I'm concerned this beer also has great brown ale character. It's also nice because you can find this on tap in tons of places.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Chevboy (37) - Millgrove, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 4, 2003
I enjoy this beer. nice aroma, and a dark brown colour. No lingering aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ferox (84) - Newcastle, ENGLAND - FEB 3, 2003
The best Brown Ale there is. Easy to drink, not only because of the fact that it comes in massive 550ml glasses, and costs the same as a small bottle in nightclubs and pubs, but also because it has, surprisingly, little aftertaste, and a not-too bitter palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Oristo (67) - Orinda, California, USA - JAN 30, 2003
This is a drinking man's beer. Easy to drink but still interesting. Very different nose, nice clean malty smell. Carries over to the flavor. A bit watery with a short finish.