overall
Brewed by John Smiths (Heineken UK)
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3740   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.95/5   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in keg and bottle.
Newcastle Brown Ale was first brewed in 1927 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, by Jim Porter after three years of development. Production moved from Newcastle to Gateshead at the end of 2004 and to Tadcaster on closure of the Dunston brewery in 2010.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Silphium (3191) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - AUG 19, 2003
I've tried this beer several times and believe I finally received a glass worth rating. It's tough to find a good Newcastle. That said, this was on tap. Slightly nutty aroma, typical cask-conditioned carbonation (not my favorite). Flavor was light and malty. I can see how this could start journeys into better beers, but otherwise Newcastle is nothing special.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jek803 (41) - USA - AUG 14, 2003
I thought this was good. Nice appearance. Big beige head that settles quickly, with little lacing. Lite mouth-feel. VERY mild...some maltiness. As I drank, I could taste fruit in the drinking and in the finish. Long lasting dry/fruity after-taste. A good session beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
McWhite (108) - Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 12, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 18, 2003 I thought this was okay, I expected more because of the praise my friends had given it. It seemed like it lacked taste; as though it should be maltier. Something lacked in my opinion.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
sloth (2786) - Ceciltucky, Co., Maryland, USA - AUG 12, 2003
Real quiet entrance. Pretty, offwhite head thats short lived. Clear, beautiful brown with an amber hue. Malty, cardboardy nose. Light bodied. Malty, oxydised, somewhat astringent dry finish. Under the cap it says "If you want bitter, dont tip the bartender". Me, i,ll take the bitter, screw the bartender.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BierGunner (18) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - AUG 11, 2003
This is real beer. Slightly bitter with a sweet malty flavor. Wish it was a little less pricey but I suppose if it were I'd have to quit my job and become a full time beer drinker.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
bb (8314) - Alamo, California, USA - AUG 8, 2003
I just don't like this beer. It tastes thinner than I'd like and the overall flavor just isn't for me.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Shagnasty (130) - Rochester, New York, USA - AUG 5, 2003
Smelled skunky, first impression negative. Poured nicely, deep brown with a god frothy head. Left a decent lacing on the edge of my glass. Smooth mouth feel, and had a pretty good body. After taste resembled caramel with nutty flavor which was both pleasant and yet it ended strangely bitter. I wonder if the beer was in proper condition for me to adequately assess? I'll have to try it again, but for now I'm not impressed.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
ChazyRPh (583) - Chazy, New York, USA - AUG 5, 2003
I have heard a lot about this beer as being one of the best Brown Ales available, however I am not impressed. I wonder if the commercialization of this beer has hindered it's taste. I was surprised to see in pour out of a clear bottle, which may adversly affect the flavor depending on how long it sat on the shelf at the local supermarket. The aroma is certainly that of a brown ale. It has a lighter appearance than other browns that I have sampled. Flavor is ok, slightly bitter with a little nut flavor. A little light on the palate, I guess I like a little stouter brown. Overall, not impressive.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
johndoughty (4869) - cheslyn hay, West Midlands, ENGLAND - AUG 3, 2003
Hailed by many as an exciting brown ale -yet I found it rather lacking in character.Nice appearance with a nutty taste that does not overpower. I remember this being popular with students in my youth but thats no recommendation. Take it or leave it-a run of the mill ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
winterlager (101) - Orchard Park, New York, USA - AUG 2, 2003
Pours a clear amber, a very simple brown ale, not alot going on with it. Decent flavors nothings jumps out at you. Goes down easy on a warm day.