Brewed by John Smiths (Heineken UK)
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3654   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.95   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in keg and bottle.
Newcastle Brown Ale was first brewed in 1927 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, by Jim Porter after three years of development. Production moved from Newcastle to Gateshead at the end of 2004 and to Tadcaster on closure of the Dunston brewery in 2010.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
ConiseurofBeer (242) - Downingtown, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 4, 2003
I was dissapointed with this beer. I guess I was expecting too much. It had a so so aroma, nothing out of the ordinary. Although the appearence was quite to my liking with it's syrupy color; the flavor intially tasted skunked. I did at first notice a taste of apples, but that went away and left me with an average tasting ale. I thought the beer was too watery even for an ale. There are a lot of better beers for less money.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
WastedYouthBrew (143) - Phila (Home of Geno's Steaks), Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 3, 2003
Very much enjoyed. Good tasting brown ale. Its texture is presented nicely as it unleashes its self on the top of your tongue in a massive whirlwind attack of devastating assault, afterwards it shimmy’s down your esophagus much like a fireman would a fire pool, it continues down until it comes to a complete halt, it looks around for awhile and then makes its way into a dark cold area at the bottom of your ballbag. Shortly afterwards its sees the light again and goes for a cold swim at the bottom of your toilet.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
brewboy (152) - AUSTRALIA - MAR 3, 2003
The ale pours well, and althought named a brown , it's more a dark blonde hue. The flavours are very mild, too mild for my liking. There is a honey nut aroma, but only on very close inspection. It is refreshing when served cold, but finishes middle of the road in the brown ale stakes. One sample is more than enough.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
clvand0 (350) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - MAR 2, 2003
This beer pours nicely and has a short lived, frothy head. It has a brown color as the name states. I thought this was a very tasty beer with a hint of nuts in the taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
BeaverBrown (245) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 1, 2003
Poured with a nice frothy head. Brown in color. Sweeter than I remember. I remember it being more nutty previously, but not this time.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
kwoeltje (2233) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - MAR 1, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 3, 2004 (update-on draught) Medium brown ale. Very litle head. Malt taste, a bit sweet. Very little hint of nuttiness. No skunkiness (which I had noted from the bottles, which are unfortunately clear).

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
desurfer (1257) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - FEB 28, 2003
UPDATED: APR 27, 2003 Poured a medium brown with little head. Nice sweet malt flavor with little hops evident. It was good, but I don't see why many people I know rave about this beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
dberger624 (1028) - Phila, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 28, 2003
Had this on draft at the Grey Lodge in Phila. I most of the time find browns kinda boring ad this on fits the bill perfectly. Tasted like a beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Drinkingdan (375) - East Norriton, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 27, 2003
I found it kinda normal and unexciting. Not bad to drink if someone has it but I won't buy it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - FEB 26, 2003
Cloying, annoying, brown but fit for destroying. Idiot lager louts give this beer its only bouying.