Brewed by John Smiths (Heineken UK)
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3678   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.95/5   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in keg and bottle.
Newcastle Brown Ale was first brewed in 1927 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, by Jim Porter after three years of development. Production moved from Newcastle to Gateshead at the end of 2004 and to Tadcaster on closure of the Dunston brewery in 2010.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
brownaler (415) - Alexandria, Virginia, USA - FEB 14, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 1, 2003 A little watery in the flavoring but still a good grocery beer. I'll take Bass over it though.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
WabashMan (1023) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - FEB 11, 2003
An alright brown, and widely available, though lacking a lot of the depth of flavor that make so many browns so good. However, twice as much flavor in the draught variety. Unfortunately, it is often WAY more expensive than the quality necessitates. Many BETTER beers are available as singles that will give MUCH more drinking pleasure for similar money.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
SmellGood (339) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - FEB 10, 2003
Sometimes this beer taste really good and other times not so good. This is a beer that will impress the women if you buy one for them. Not too bold but 200 times better than Bud Light.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Diablokev (162) - Lakewood, Colorado, USA - FEB 9, 2003
The aroma (of caramel, and hops) was apparent from the glass sitting on the table, I didn't even need to bring it to my nose. The appearance was a brownish gold, with hints of ruby. The flavor was a bit on the bland side, but there was noticable malts, and caramel, with a coffee like aftertaste. The beer seamed a bit flat (maybe just a bad poor), but otherwise easy to drink. Overall not bad, but not what I expected from others reviews (I thought I was gettin a world beater, but I found it not to be so). Will need to compare to a bottle version.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
mikeben (355) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - FEB 9, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 17, 2004 rerate. I was totally knocked out by it this time. I rated it many years ago and though I liked it then, now I love it. Just as good as Guiness and unlike other brown ales I have had It has no unpleasent aftertaste. I liked that it was slightly creamy and sweet. Definitly will buy it again. I hear there is Newcastle Beer Ice cream Bring it to the States!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
blank (996) - Austin, Texas, USA - FEB 7, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 12, 2005 Still my favorite "drinking beers. I guess this the beer gods version of "light beer that I can drink all night." Definatly like draft beer, but I still have a fridge fulll of this stuff... ReRated: Yeah, yeah.. so it was a little high. That’s what a few years of the good stuff will do to collage ratings.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
wilkie (1208) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - FEB 7, 2003
Thin head. Little aroma. No hop flavor, the malt is not balanced very well at all. Has a chemical taste to it. Very weak for a nut brown. Are we sure this isn't bottled by Coors?

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
JFGrind (1936) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 7, 2003
I usually drink "Nukie Brown" from the bottle. Draught version had a thinner head. Great beer to drink when the weather is warm.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Nagash (207) - Paris, FRANCE - FEB 6, 2003
Caramel flavor. Just strong enough. Very good in all occasions. Maybe my favorite brown ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Trappist (286) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 5, 2003
This is very good, especially on tap. It is a nice brown color with a small white foamy head, and not stong. A nice nutty hoppy flavor.