overall
Brewed by John Smiths (Heineken UK)
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3610   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.96   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in keg and bottle.
Newcastle Brown Ale was first brewed in 1927 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, by Jim Porter after three years of development. Production moved from Newcastle to Gateshead at the end of 2004 and to Tadcaster on closure of the Dunston brewery in 2010.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
mikejmadden99 (103) - Mountain Top, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 18, 2002
Have had this beer so many times, I finally had it and remembered to review it. This redish brown colored brew has a smell I feel lack a lot, it is sort of a bland smell almost like the normal smell people associate with beer. But what is lacks in smell is "kind of" makes up for in taste. It has a smooth slight hop/slight malt taste that is not to overwhelming, I feel it is a good crossover beer. But it is one of those beer I drink when I am at a place that "lacks" in selection.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - DEC 17, 2002
Ah. Newcastle without the skunkiness! Smooth malty brown ale flavor. Mild and understated. One of my old standbys.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
sethdude (704) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 11, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 25, 2006 too much hype around this shabby ale. it’s ok, but I’d rather have a Pete’s Wicked Ale. Re-Rate: same score more to say. Cream Soda getting skunked in a clear bottle. Is that vinegar I taste?

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Marc (486) - Yokosuka, JAPAN - DEC 9, 2002
One of the less repulsive in the mainstream English import market. Fermented fruit and cider in the nose, carameland biscut maltiness with more fermented fruit. Finishes bready.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Bronstein (175) - Göttingen, GERMANY - DEC 17, 2002
Dark ruby red color, no head. Pleasant sweet and fruity aroma. Starts malty, continues more roasty, finishes dry and even a bit bitter. Aftertaste with bready spices and sweetness. Overall an average dark lager.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Bierlieber (49) - Evanston, Illinois, USA - DEC 6, 2002
Overall good ale, more o winey taste than others of this style. I think it’s better from the bottle than tap. Has gotten way to expensive with popularity.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
WISEGUY572 (1374) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 19, 2002
Beautiful clear brown ale with good head and floral nose; goes down fast from there. Adequately bitter but unbalanced, not enough malt or caramel, too thin in the mouth.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
LadyBeerLover (70) - Benton, Arkansas, USA - DEC 19, 2002
i really need to try this beer again for a decent rateing

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
HarmonKill-a-Brew (407) - Wilmar, Arkansas, USA - DEC 15, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 1, 2012 Not great, but not bad either. I was expecting a little more aroma and flavor. A very good looking brew. Update: I gave it another try because of its reputation and I still found it to be painfully average. I won’t waste my time or money again. Update: Ok, I wasted my time again and it wasn’t a waste much better on tap! Malty enough to savor but light enough to DRINK!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
TipsyMcStager (1139) - Calgary, Alberta, CANADA - DEC 18, 2002
Pleasant aroma and beautiful appearance. Complex flavour, can taste the hops. But I have to say overall it didn’t live up to the hype. I’ve kept on hearing about great this beer is supposed to be. Wild Rose Brown is a better choice.