overall
Brewed by John Smiths (Heineken UK)
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3502   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.96   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in keg and bottle.
Newcastle Brown Ale was first brewed in 1927 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, by Jim Porter after three years of development. Production moved from Newcastle to Gateshead at the end of 2004 and to Tadcaster on closure of the Dunston brewery in 2010.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
labattblueleaf (225) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - JUL 29, 2002
I was excited to try this for the first time as many of my friends rave over it. I found it to be average. I would prefer Honey Brown or Bell’s Big Brown over this. Maybe it’s just a tad too bitter for my taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
007lund (92) - Ann Arbor, USA - JUL 28, 2002
The head is almost non-existent, and the taste is not very complex, but this beer is very smooth and delicious. A beautiful deep brown color, with a pleasant aroma. I prefer this beer to just about any other beer, although I have not yet had a great variety.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
jpknight22 (171) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - JUL 28, 2002
OK, so I haven’t quite figured out what the rave is all about. I’d prefer this beer to most American Beers on any given day, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to find this beer. Not much to say about this beer other than it represents a sterotypical light brown ale. I think this is a beer suited for my college buddies who are acquiring a taste for something better and more original than Bud Light. But its a soild, drinkable, and consistently good beer so I will rate it that way.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bigbrew99 (14) - USA - JUL 27, 2002

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - JUL 25, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 9, 2003 Superb taste and excellent aroma. A good ale to drink with dinner, compliments many foods. Expensive, but well, well worth it. Strong flavor even after glass number 9!!! =) RERATE 01/09/03: I remember being way too drunk during my last rating. Good malty sweetness, nice head..not overwhelming, dryer than would be expected, and a nice ending bitterness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
rcarroll2 (28) - Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 25, 2002
Easy going sweet brown ale, not over-bearing, good choice if you plan on consuming a large quantity

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bkornman99 (1) - USA - JUL 24, 2002 does not count

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Aggie80 (785) - Michigan, USA - JUL 23, 2002
Newcastle Brown Ale is a good standard brew. Finding it at many bars is a good deal because it is certainly better than most of the American beers.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
SETANTA (582) - Bangor, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 23, 2002

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
nstal (237) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUL 23, 2002
Very average and predictable brown ale, although that’s not always a bad thing. Pretty head and clean finish.