overall
Brewed by John Smiths (Heineken UK)
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3629   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.95   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in keg and bottle.
Newcastle Brown Ale was first brewed in 1927 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, by Jim Porter after three years of development. Production moved from Newcastle to Gateshead at the end of 2004 and to Tadcaster on closure of the Dunston brewery in 2010.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Aurelius (4651) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - SEP 6, 2002
This is one of the most variable beers that I’ve ever seen. Sometimes almost like alt -- grainy/cherry flavored. Sometimes not. Aroma is slightly laced with sulphur. Aroma and flavor are grassy, grainy. Perhaps a wee bit smokey. Wisps of berry flavor. Thinnish palate, but smooth, smooth. Clean drinking and decent brown ale. This is often the best thing that you can get, and it’s a better choice than American mass-production stuff. Beware the clear bottle, because you’ll occasionally get a real skunky six.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 6, 2002
NOt as good as on tap. Some nice balance in the malt and haps. Not too bitter. Smooth, but not excedingly so.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - SEP 5, 2002
I have always liked Newcastle. Although since I moved to Colorado, and then got corrupted by Ratebeer.com, I have found better beers, I am sticking to my original rating for both bottles and draught. Plus I can get it on tap at my local dive bar for $1.50 every day from 3-6pm.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
mutant (854) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - SEP 3, 2002
Strong brown sugar aroma. Taste & texture is very light & watery. Only slight bitterness. Too weak for me, smells good tastes poor, definitely overrated

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
homerman (40) - Clinton, Iowa, USA - SEP 3, 2002
Yes, I agree this is the one and only. This is very good. Did I mention it is as smooth as a babies behind. The only better is the brown ale I brew myself at home.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
dominion (78) - charlotte, North Carolina, USA - AUG 30, 2002
Good beer, slight sweet swell, bnice brown color and good finish

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
LoveABeer (141) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - AUG 29, 2002
Smooth and mild bitterness flavour, not too bad.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jerohen (2065) - Bussum, NETHERLANDS - AUG 29, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 17, 2004 Very easy to drink. Smooth taste with bittersweet finish. Nice beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
IslandHaole (1091) - Yokosuka-Shi, Kanagawa-Ken, JAPAN - AUG 29, 2002
Like an intro to Brown Ales for the macro drinkers. I laugh that someone called this "Trendy", hell it was trendy over 20 years ago! This was one of my first non yellow fizzys so it’s a sentimental favorite. Rather easy to find too.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
TheGreatKen (76) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 28, 2002
My favorite beer. It’s different from other ales I tasted.