overall
Brewed by John Smiths (Heineken UK)
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3469   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.96   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in keg and bottle.
Newcastle Brown Ale was first brewed in 1927 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, by Jim Porter after three years of development. Production moved from Newcastle to Gateshead at the end of 2004 and to Tadcaster on closure of the Dunston brewery in 2010.

Raytailgater (105) - Rockledge, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 5, 2002
Good color,nutty flavor,smooth finish

1.2
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
bighair (51) - Hamilton, Ohio, USA - MAR 3, 2002
very overrated. just because something is from another country doesnt make it good. aftertaste is nasty

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
freerider99 (4) - Saint Cloud, Minnesota, USA - MAR 2, 2002 does not count
What can I say, I don’t know why people do not like this beer. One taste and I fell in love with this stuff. It has a sweet unique taste and a great color. Best served cold on tap.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Cutlass (51) - Galloway, Ohio, USA - MAR 1, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 11, 2005 Revised 3/11/05. The first time I had this, I hated it. But it’s been a while and I gave it a second chance, and I am glad I did! The aroma is a bit skunky, which is probably what turned me off the most when I first tried it. Initial taste is still a bit skunky, but it gets better as you swallow. Mild caramel flavor. Very smooth! I usually can’t drink too many dark ales without feeling full, but I could drink this all night.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
whoopassmachine (15) - mancland, ENGLAND - MAR 1, 2002
Sick in a bottle. Like munching on your ’Why Aye Man’ Geordie Grandad’s sweaty arsehole. Thank god this fucker doesn’t normally get served on draught. Would not touch this shite if the bar had been drunk dry by Keano when possessed and the only thing left was bleeding pernod! Would rather chew off my own bollocks, swallow them whole and rub the bleeding, mangled scrotal sack in a volatile solution of salt & vinegar. One step off Guiness, could be used for the starter I fear. Even the label reminds me of smelly, sweaty knob head Newcastle United fans drinking it before the match on a Saturday aft, whilst singing about going to the toon, and about the bloody fog on the Tyne. Served in pint bottles, which pleases the bent Geordies wazzacks when they feel the need to be anally violated. To some up this the bottled beer equivalant to Alan Shearer, boring and shite.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
tbookman (618) - Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 1, 2002
Fairly rich malt flavor - very light bitterness - light head with little lacing. Kind of watery.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
airen99 (20) - Bellevue, Washington, USA - MAR 1, 2002
Am I crazy? Am I supposed to like this beer? Either way I do a lot, though thinking about it, it’s a case in which the sum of the ingredients add up to more than they’re worth. Average aroma, beautiful dark amber color, little on the palate, but just a great drinkable beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
logan99 (4) - USA - FEB 27, 2002 does not count
Very unique flavaor and best out of the tap.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
noy-zee (63) - Minnesota, USA - FEB 26, 2002
one of my favorites

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - FEB 26, 2002
This is a medium bodied beer with a clear red brown color, and an average creamy light brown head that is mostly lasting with good lacing. The nose has a moderate malt characteristics with slight cereal overtones, in addition to a minimal yeasty characteristic with doughy overtones; a very pleasant and clean nose. The initial flavor is moderately sweet and finishes with a salty butter-like light sweetness to moderate bitterness. The finish is average to long duration. The brew has a medium body with a creamy texture and soft carbonation and a metallic feel. This is a brew which I classify as well above average. Moderate complexity combined with easy drinkability. My only lament is the lofty price.