Brewed by John Smiths (Heineken UK)
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3654   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.95   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in keg and bottle.
Newcastle Brown Ale was first brewed in 1927 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, by Jim Porter after three years of development. Production moved from Newcastle to Gateshead at the end of 2004 and to Tadcaster on closure of the Dunston brewery in 2010.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - OCT 1, 2002
Overall a fairly decent beer, pours a nice brown color, some malty nutty flavor. used to like it more, but as I have had other browns, I realize this is just slightly better than mediocre.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
acnemaster99 (20) - Albany, New York, USA - SEP 30, 2002
this is the best beer that you can easily get anywhere. It is available most anywhere and it has a wonderful nutty flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
raymow (1084) - Bensalem, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 30, 2002
One of my favorite beers. Excellent appearance and taste. My only complaint would be after 5 or 6 they donít taste as good for some reason - maybe because my taste buds are dulled too much by then?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Perdue46 (68) - USA - SEP 29, 2002
I found this beer to be quite delicious, very good flavor and not too expensive.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerguy101 (5338) - Newark, California, USA - SEP 28, 2002
Medium Brown color, medium head. Nice malty beer. Milder flavor, smooth taste. Good hop/malt balance. Some malt sweetness. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean. Aftertaste is malty and slightly dry. A classic.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
vwsteggie (684) - Paxton, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 27, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 29, 2003 It has a nice darker amber color and a nut/malt smell. Has a sweet taste and a smooth finish. Overall not too bad.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
MartinKubert (862) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - SEP 27, 2002
Like a lot of the things Michael Jackson says, this is totally stupid! This beer is far too overrated and in my opinion NO classic at all! The aroma is missing entirely and the flavour is not just watery, but actually so boring that i poured everything out after just one sip. No interesting body nor head at all! An FAR over-rated beer after my opinion!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
badgerben (4650) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - SEP 26, 2002
Possibly my favorite brown ale. A good brew to just sit down and relax with.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - SEP 26, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 27, 2007 New: Since I first rated this 5 years ago, I have had a number of occasions to drink it and have found, to my great surprise, that I actually rather like it. It is really full of flavor and wonderfully balanced. This is really a go-to beer at those events I always seem to attend where the choices are the macros and the usual suspects of Samuel Adams, Beckís, etc. Old (Sept. 2002): The debates on this one are hilarious. I never thought there was much going on with this beer. Occasionally, Iíve had a sample that shows a little bit of flavor (I guess some nutty malt?). Someone suggested drinking this one while watching the Golden Girls. Exactly.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Duffbeer (192) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 25, 2002
Nice color, pretty smooth, a good brown ale.