overall
Brewed by John Smiths (Heineken UK)
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3429   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.97   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in keg and bottle.
Newcastle Brown Ale was first brewed in 1927 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, by Jim Porter after three years of development. Production moved from Newcastle to Gateshead at the end of 2004 and to Tadcaster on closure of the Dunston brewery in 2010.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Andrew196 (1091) - Katy, Texas, USA - JAN 21, 2002
Im not a brown ale fan, this one is about average though. Very smooth, nice head. Sorta flat tasting, not very distinctive.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
TheBeerCollector (633) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - JAN 18, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2004 Re-Rate: As my beer palate has changed, so has my perception of this beer. I still like it but it does not measure up to many of the beers I have tried. Original Rating:One of my favorite beers. Great color and texture with a smooth flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ingevara (785) - SWEDEN - JAN 18, 2002
A good ale with trustworthy quality. Nothing fantastic, but I could live with just this one for a year...

0.9
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
Brewmaster (168) - USA - JAN 18, 2002
the first time i had this beer, the aftertaste wouldnt leave me for 24hrs. Since the mixed ratings, most of which suggested it was a good beer, i tried it again. It was just as horrible as the first time i tried it. Maybe its just skunky beer because of the clear bottle, or its just really nasty tasting beer, that some people enjoy. Drink at your own risk !

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
bahiagoldtb99 (6) - USA - JAN 16, 2002 does not count
Newcastle has become a long standing staple on my list of favorites for about 2 years now. It is a good everyday beer for me now, and I enjoy it ice cold with a fine steak. For an English Brown ale that wont over power the senses but still leaves you with a great taste, Newcastle is the one for you.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
unixweb (237) - Sherman, Texas, USA - JAN 15, 2002
This one was recommended to me at a bar, and afterwards I just got up and left. The smell wasnít pleasant, but it wasnít unpleasant either. When it was ice cold, this ale reminded me of a thinner, weaker Guiness, but after a bit the bitterness and sweet malty taste took over. It was all I could do to finish one bottle. Like the other members here say, you either like it or you hate it. I donít hate it, but I sure wonít buy it again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
noer1 (109) - Massachusetts, USA - JAN 14, 2002
I like it a lot, but some of the other members of the club think it tastes like cough syrup. I guess you either like it, or hate it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
tomppa444 (46) - FINLAND - JAN 10, 2002
Very nice ale. Easy to drink. Perhaps the taste is almost too balanced, lacking some character.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
GiddyBoy (117) - USA - JAN 9, 2002
OK I have to agree with a lot of people here. This beer smelled horrid, and I waited to see if it would get better, as suggested, and it didnít. It didnít taste as bad as it smelled, but that isnít saying much. It did have a sweeter tinge than a lot of others, though. I am not sure what causes it, because it didnít have a honey flavor. I bought a single for $2.50 and didnít even finish it. I would much rather have a few cheaper ales. Even a nice Guinness (can) is only $1.75 around here. I will not buy this one again, even if it is all there is. Sorry.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ckramer00 (12) - Ames, Iowa, USA - JAN 6, 2002
This is a very nice brown ale. One of my favorite beers. Wish it was more affordable!