overall
Brewed by John Smiths (Heineken UK)
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3590   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.96   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in keg and bottle.
Newcastle Brown Ale was first brewed in 1927 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, by Jim Porter after three years of development. Production moved from Newcastle to Gateshead at the end of 2004 and to Tadcaster on closure of the Dunston brewery in 2010.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - FEB 26, 2002
This is a medium bodied beer with a clear red brown color, and an average creamy light brown head that is mostly lasting with good lacing. The nose has a moderate malt characteristics with slight cereal overtones, in addition to a minimal yeasty characteristic with doughy overtones; a very pleasant and clean nose. The initial flavor is moderately sweet and finishes with a salty butter-like light sweetness to moderate bitterness. The finish is average to long duration. The brew has a medium body with a creamy texture and soft carbonation and a metallic feel. This is a brew which I classify as well above average. Moderate complexity combined with easy drinkability. My only lament is the lofty price.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
raperea (13) - El Paso, Texas, USA - FEB 26, 2002
very good taste and color

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Terminus (3316) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - FEB 25, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 5, 2004 ReRate-one of the origonal beers i rated on this site. Had this on tap at Holoman AFB. pours a brown amber hue with nice off-white head. aroma is subtle notes of butter (diacytl), peanuts, and cardboard. Flavors are really not that good. diacytl is huge in this beer. Buttery all over the place. finish is not to bad-nice hop notes (earthy) and the diacytl is gone. One of my "starter" beers i guess you could say.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
PBOYNY (316) - Westchester, New York, USA - FEB 25, 2002
nice brown!!! this stuff has grown on me! love the way it sits on the tongue...drink alot if you can...the buzz is good!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
daninorlando99 (49) - Orlando, Florida, USA - FEB 24, 2002
a good common dark

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
RedEft (155) - Wichita, Kansas, USA - FEB 24, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 3, 2004 I really enjoy this beer. Nice dark color and very smooth, with a somewhat nutty taste.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
CrimsonGhost1971 (188) - USA - FEB 21, 2002
It’s been awhile since I had it but I remember I liked it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Fulkrum78 (175) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 20, 2002
Love this beer. Jus can’t drink more than two or three at a time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - FEB 20, 2002
Weak and overpriced. I wouldn’t turn it down, but I wouldn’t buy it unless the alternative was industrial macrobrew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ToadMan (559) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - FEB 19, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 11, 2003 2-19-02 A very good beer, nice aftertaste, smooth, yet flavorful. Ranks among my favorite beers of all time. rerate 2-11-03, This was one of my first rated beers so I had to go back with my new appreciation of beer. I still enjoyed it, but the 4.1 I gave it before was a bit much. It has a nice smooth maltieness, but a little too plain to be in the 4 range.