overall
Brewed by John Smiths (Heineken UK)
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3535   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.96   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in keg and bottle.
Newcastle Brown Ale was first brewed in 1927 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, by Jim Porter after three years of development. Production moved from Newcastle to Gateshead at the end of 2004 and to Tadcaster on closure of the Dunston brewery in 2010.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
bahiagoldtb99 (6) - USA - JAN 16, 2002 does not count
Newcastle has become a long standing staple on my list of favorites for about 2 years now. It is a good everyday beer for me now, and I enjoy it ice cold with a fine steak. For an English Brown ale that wont over power the senses but still leaves you with a great taste, Newcastle is the one for you.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
unixweb (237) - Sherman, Texas, USA - JAN 15, 2002
This one was recommended to me at a bar, and afterwards I just got up and left. The smell wasnít pleasant, but it wasnít unpleasant either. When it was ice cold, this ale reminded me of a thinner, weaker Guiness, but after a bit the bitterness and sweet malty taste took over. It was all I could do to finish one bottle. Like the other members here say, you either like it or you hate it. I donít hate it, but I sure wonít buy it again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
noer1 (109) - Massachusetts, USA - JAN 14, 2002
I like it a lot, but some of the other members of the club think it tastes like cough syrup. I guess you either like it, or hate it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
tomppa444 (46) - FINLAND - JAN 10, 2002
Very nice ale. Easy to drink. Perhaps the taste is almost too balanced, lacking some character.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
GiddyBoy (117) - USA - JAN 9, 2002
OK I have to agree with a lot of people here. This beer smelled horrid, and I waited to see if it would get better, as suggested, and it didnít. It didnít taste as bad as it smelled, but that isnít saying much. It did have a sweeter tinge than a lot of others, though. I am not sure what causes it, because it didnít have a honey flavor. I bought a single for $2.50 and didnít even finish it. I would much rather have a few cheaper ales. Even a nice Guinness (can) is only $1.75 around here. I will not buy this one again, even if it is all there is. Sorry.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ckramer00 (12) - Ames, Iowa, USA - JAN 6, 2002
This is a very nice brown ale. One of my favorite beers. Wish it was more affordable!

0.9
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
mrbarleypop99 (8) - USA - JAN 4, 2002 does not count
yuck! newkie-b is too sweet....try sam smiths nut brown......

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
RyanD99 (7) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 3, 2002 does not count
Very good light brown ale. Goes great with everything.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jedsbrew (465) - Rhineland, Missouri, USA - DEC 29, 2001
Nice fluffy head, tastes about the same way it smells, which is pleasant, and has a low key bittersweet finish that gently lingers. Not great, but pretty darned good.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ribrewmaster99 (11) - Warwick, Rhode Island, USA - DEC 27, 2001
In my opinion, this is the 2nd best beer on Earth, after Bass Ale. Great color, with a nice malty, fruity finish. Medium body, great floral hop (Fuggles?) aroma. Slightly better on tap and served at about 50 degrees.