overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 79   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 31   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
(March 1st- April 30th) Deep ruby red in color, this well balanced ale has roasted malt tones and a crisp hop character. It is in the Irish tradition and comes just in time for springtime thunderstorms.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
beerbill (3539) - Laurel, New York, USA - JUN 9, 2012
12 oz. bottle. I seem to miss this beer each year, so I was very happy when I went to pick up my daughter at school and found this on the shelves. Pours a deep clear translucent red with a moderate tan head that lasted through the first quarter of the glass and left light lace. The aroma is malty with some heavy char, which I found a bit odd, along with some mild nuts. The flavor is malt along with a bit of char, and cigarette tobacco, which I do not like. Some mild nuts as well. Mild-moderate char bitterness at the finish. Thankfully I bought just a single, because I will not be drinking this one again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
ThomasMetal75 (6) - Massachusetts, USA - MAY 8, 2012 does not count
Appearance is very cloudy. Has the appearance of beef stock. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Irish style Red look this cloudy. Very small head that doesn’t stick around. Surprisingly sediment is floating around in the glass.Aroma is of roasted malts! Sweet and caramel notes. Faint hops. Tastes like a cross between an Irish Red and an IPA. The bitterness is very present. The Carmel malts are also present. Has a sour flavor as well. Carbonation dances on the tongue, although I can’t see it in the glass. Just a weird Irish Red Ale! I think a 6 is a modest rating on taste, but to me this is unique for an Irish Red Ale. The palate is kind of rough to be honest. Sticky and medium in feel. I cannot suck this back in the spring. Nope! Overall, this was a disappointment. A hoopy Irish Red is not what I want in the spring, nor is a kind of heavy and sticky body/mouthfeel what I want when the weather is getting nice. I wouldn’t choose this at anytime of the year. I’d rather Newport Storm bring back the Summer IPA and replace this beer with that!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Ernesto987 (3933) - Connecticut, USA - FEB 16, 2012
A red malt forward beer with a decently bitter finish. Really can’t think of anything else to say, oh there’s the minimum character total. Shweet.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Reynolds314 (2440) - Connecticut, USA - FEB 16, 2012
Wasnt a big fan. Gets 5/5 for appearance because its red like a good red should be. Aroma is hay and raw barley. Taste is malty and unpleasant bitterness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
MaBeer1972 (1368) - Taunton, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 1, 2011
On tap at the brewery as part of the tour. The third pour out of 4 tastings. I have had this one in the bottle before also and it has been one of my favorite red beers. Very fresh and tasty on tap. Good overall roasty malts but nicely balanced. More enjoyable than the flagship amber.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jblauvs (1346) - Chester, Vermont, USA - APR 13, 2011
Bottle thanks to Shogo Walnut pour with a fluffy offwhite head. Aroma is toasted malt, caramel, some light grassiness, mouthfeel is light, flavor is coffee grounds, toasted malt, crisp grass, Finish is more bitter coffee ground. Mild and drinkable, but with enough flavor to be satisfying.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
rjplumer (464) - Foxboro, Massachusetts, USA - APR 1, 2011
Has deep brown/red color with a slightly brown head which is a around one finger in height and lasts a long time. Has a very spicy hop aroma. Has a spicy hop taste also with a touch of bitterness. I detect a hint of sourness in the finish. Though it seemed rather strong at the start it soon mellows the more you drink it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
italianjohn (2375) - Penndel, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 19, 2010
Dark red/brownish pour off white head .... sweet roasted malty aroma and a roasted nutty, caramel malt taste with a bitter sweet roasted finish ..... a different kind of irish red not just a caramel malt bomb here ... enjoyed it

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
BroSpud (1741) - , Massachusetts, USA - JUN 1, 2010
12oz bottle. Pours a dark amber with a white head. Reminds me more of a scotch ale than a typical red. Primary taste seemed to be some sort of malty rye.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
halfonit (1186) - Fall River, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 31, 2010
Pours a dark and deep amber color with a thick off white head. It seems to be a little cloudy. Aroma is of malts, coffee, and hops. Flavor is of malts, coffee milk, and some caramel. Leaves a coffee malt finish. This seems to be more like a winter ale to me. Similar to their Coffee Milk Stout.