Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 87   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.14   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 31   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
(March 1st- April 30th) Deep ruby red in color, this well balanced ale has roasted malt tones and a crisp hop character. It is in the Irish tradition and comes just in time for springtime thunderstorms.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
annunz123 (933) - Taunton, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 11, 2014
Nice, strong aroma with bread, wood, nuts, and maybe a little pipe tobacco. After that, the flavor is disappointing, water and with some vegetal funk. OK, but not worth seeking out.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jtclockwork (11289) - , New Jersey, USA - JUN 2, 2014
Bottle shared with Jcwattsrugger. Pours amber with off white head. Nose/taste of resin, toasted grain and grass. Medium body. Decent for the style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
mike67 (958) - , New Jersey, USA - APR 23, 2014
12 oz bottle. Pours copper with small, short-lived, fluffy white head. Aroma is of bread crust, herbal hops and some caramel. Body is medium and crisp. Herbal, earthy hop, bready malt and caramel combine on the palate. Finish is long, bitter, and astringent. I would not buy this brew again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JaBier (5739) - Capital City, Ohio, USA - JUL 16, 2013
Sample prior to the brewery tour on 7/3/13. Clear copper pour with a medium beige head. Bready malt nose with caramel and light hops. Toasty malt flavor with caramel accents before a dry, roasty finish. Very well done Irish Red.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Niko100 (2337) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 24, 2013
Dark amber/ruby color; Medium body; Aroma of toasted sweet malt, & caramel; Flavor of slight roasted sweet malt, caramel, and some hops/grain; Dry finish and slightly bitter; Pretty decent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Scrapersnbeer (1531) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 6, 2013
Strong nutty, malty, husky, ’casky’ aroma. Teak oil clear appearance, as red as any beer that I didn’t suspect of adding food coloring. Taste is pronounced bitter at front, chalky bittersweet out the back. Nice crisp bite that doesn’t overwhelm the other elements. One of the better Irish ales I’ve tried.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jkwalking05 (4340) - Arlington, Texas, USA - FEB 28, 2013
Tasted in 2009 (backlog). Brown with a decent off-white head. Aroma is grain, light roasted malts, nuts and bread. Taste is of wheat chex cereal and caramel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
zdk (1852) - New York, New York, USA - OCT 14, 2012
Tap at Coastal Extreme - Chicory oak coffee roast and vanilla bean. Bittersweet finished dry and earthy. tasty stuff.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
beerbill (3574) - Laurel, New York, USA - JUN 9, 2012
12 oz. bottle. I seem to miss this beer each year, so I was very happy when I went to pick up my daughter at school and found this on the shelves. Pours a deep clear translucent red with a moderate tan head that lasted through the first quarter of the glass and left light lace. The aroma is malty with some heavy char, which I found a bit odd, along with some mild nuts. The flavor is malt along with a bit of char, and cigarette tobacco, which I do not like. Some mild nuts as well. Mild-moderate char bitterness at the finish. Thankfully I bought just a single, because I will not be drinking this one again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
ThomasMetal75 (6) - Massachusetts, USA - MAY 8, 2012 does not count
Appearance is very cloudy. Has the appearance of beef stock. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Irish style Red look this cloudy. Very small head that doesn’t stick around. Surprisingly sediment is floating around in the glass.Aroma is of roasted malts! Sweet and caramel notes. Faint hops. Tastes like a cross between an Irish Red and an IPA. The bitterness is very present. The Carmel malts are also present. Has a sour flavor as well. Carbonation dances on the tongue, although I can’t see it in the glass. Just a weird Irish Red Ale! I think a 6 is a modest rating on taste, but to me this is unique for an Irish Red Ale. The palate is kind of rough to be honest. Sticky and medium in feel. I cannot suck this back in the spring. Nope! Overall, this was a disappointment. A hoopy Irish Red is not what I want in the spring, nor is a kind of heavy and sticky body/mouthfeel what I want when the weather is getting nice. I wouldn’t choose this at anytime of the year. I’d rather Newport Storm bring back the Summer IPA and replace this beer with that!