overall

RATINGS: 239   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.42   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
A traditional stout using dark roasted malted barley to create a full-bodied ale. Rounded with the smooth flavor of oats, the addition of English Kent Goldings hops produces a creamy stout that has proven to be a favorite.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
craftbeerdesign (2140) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - AUG 25, 2011
tasting on 8/20/11. light black pour with a slim tan head. light oatmeal nose. medium body with a big level of roasted malts, light chocolate, coffee and dark fruits. roasted finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
decaturstevo (4665) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - AUG 5, 2011
Black pour with tan head and lace. Toasted malt, sweet chocolate, and coffee aroma. Flavor mirrors aroma. A bit thin and fizzy. Nice beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
scrizzz (2223) - Bothell, Washington, USA - JUL 31, 2011
Very dark brown pour, fizzy tan head. Dark oatmeal cookie nose, burnt on the edges, some coffee. Good body, clean on the palate, starts a bit full and thins out quickly to finish with a touch of burnt grain. Lingering finish grows in cookie sweetness over time

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
alexsdad06 (4553) - Ohio, USA - JUL 24, 2011
12 oz. bottle from daknole. Pours dark brown in color with a small beige head. The aroma had roasted malt, lactose and chocolate notes. The flavor was roasted malt and chocolate as well, with a hint of lactose. Pretty straight forward oatmeal stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jcwattsrugger (11004) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - JUL 7, 2011
on tap-pours a foamy light brown head that laces and black color. Aroma is roasty dark malt-chocolate. Taste is roasty dark malt-chocolate/licorice/peat, secondary earthy/spice hops. Porterish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
quiznoaz (308) - Arizona, USA - JUN 1, 2011
Dark brown pour, dark tan head which dissipated quickly. Smooth roasted aroma with a hint of plum or similar. Toasted malt taste, with a touch of coffee-like bitterness at the trailing end. I like it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TURDFERGUSON (3912) - Carrboro, North Carolina, USA - APR 22, 2011
Dark brown with a nice tan head and lace. Nose of roast, oats, lactose, light molasses. Roasty flavor, some light metal, oats, cream. Pretty solid sweet stout, lightly metallic throughout but its not overpowering. Thanks Daknole!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Savvy1982 (1705) - Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA - MAR 6, 2011
Draft. Pours clear cola-brown, thin pale tan head; spotty lacing. Nose is roast, oats, cream, quite a light, simple nose. Flavours are watery roast, soap. Meh....

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Foxbush (1221) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - FEB 24, 2011
This was an excellent stout. While at an AOPD meeting at the Arizona Bitlmore. It was a special surprise. The deep black ale poured with a nice head. The roasted malts produce a full bodied stout. The stout is made South of Phoenix and was popular at the bar. The finish was smooth with no bitterness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
lucklys (62) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - FEB 13, 2011
Iím going to preface this review by stating that this is my first ever stout. Ever. Carry on. --- This beer was pitch black. While I was pouring it, I was slightly intimidated by the initial chocolatey brown color, but soon fell into a quiet fear as it ebbed black with the last drop. I couldnít see into the liquid like I could all of my other lighter beers; when I looked into the glass, all I could see was my shocked reflection staring starkly back at me. It was that black. My frightening first impression was quickly comforted by the sandy head of foam that grew to just over a finger thick. I suppose I didnít really expect a snow white head, but the light brown bubbles made me feel safer about my decision to delve into the world of stouts despite my painful lack of information. Also, for anyone who cares, the lacing was spotty and minimal. --- Before I did any amount of research on stouts or this particular brew, I sniffed and came away repulsed. My first thought, I kid you not, was "soy sauce?!". Even now, as I sit with my nose in the bottle trying to get around the sour, salty-sweetness of Chinese condiments, I cannot seem to break away from my inaugural impression. So, I smell soy sauce. Other than that, and by combining all of the other robust fragrances which Iím sure are probably creating the illusion of soy sauce, it still wasnít my cup of tea. Or glass of beer, as the case may be. --- Among the myriad of scents I pulled from the beer I was rapidly beginning to wish I didnít have to drink: smoky oats and malt, bakerís dark chocolate, lots of roasted coffee grounds, hint of vanilla, a little bit of burnt molasses and maybe some bitter cocoa powder. It was like a baking experiment gone awfully, horribly awry. Let me just say with complete honesty here, that despite my following complaints, the first few sips were super bitter, but once I got over the roast coffee and burnt molasses, I was able to appreciate the texture more which made it much more enjoyable. Like I mentioned, the beginning of each sip was pretty bitter, followed by a rich wave of coffee grounds, burnt oats, thick malts, and spicy hops (Kent Golding). --- The mouthfeel was a medium-light with soft carbonation, creating a smooth body that was both dry and creamy on my tongue. It did peak on sour right after I swallowed, but everything mellowed out in the end to allow more hops to shine through. --- This stout is a great example of how oatmeal stouts should be made, even according to seasoned tasters, so Iím glad I was able to learn to appreciate the type of brew with the Nimbus micro. Being that it is so aromatic and robust, it would be best paired with a hearty smoked steak and a chocolate dessert, both of which will help to bring out each of the individual flavors. In the very end, this is a beer I can most certainly appreciate, but one I most likely wonít be drinking unless I have both a nice slab of smoked rib-eye and a fudge brownie with walnuts.