overall

RATINGS: 241   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
A traditional stout using dark roasted malted barley to create a full-bodied ale. Rounded with the smooth flavor of oats, the addition of English Kent Goldings hops produces a creamy stout that has proven to be a favorite.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Foxbush (1264) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - FEB 24, 2011
This was an excellent stout. While at an AOPD meeting at the Arizona Bitlmore. It was a special surprise. The deep black ale poured with a nice head. The roasted malts produce a full bodied stout. The stout is made South of Phoenix and was popular at the bar. The finish was smooth with no bitterness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
lucklys (62) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - FEB 13, 2011
Iím going to preface this review by stating that this is my first ever stout. Ever. Carry on. --- This beer was pitch black. While I was pouring it, I was slightly intimidated by the initial chocolatey brown color, but soon fell into a quiet fear as it ebbed black with the last drop. I couldnít see into the liquid like I could all of my other lighter beers; when I looked into the glass, all I could see was my shocked reflection staring starkly back at me. It was that black. My frightening first impression was quickly comforted by the sandy head of foam that grew to just over a finger thick. I suppose I didnít really expect a snow white head, but the light brown bubbles made me feel safer about my decision to delve into the world of stouts despite my painful lack of information. Also, for anyone who cares, the lacing was spotty and minimal. --- Before I did any amount of research on stouts or this particular brew, I sniffed and came away repulsed. My first thought, I kid you not, was "soy sauce?!". Even now, as I sit with my nose in the bottle trying to get around the sour, salty-sweetness of Chinese condiments, I cannot seem to break away from my inaugural impression. So, I smell soy sauce. Other than that, and by combining all of the other robust fragrances which Iím sure are probably creating the illusion of soy sauce, it still wasnít my cup of tea. Or glass of beer, as the case may be. --- Among the myriad of scents I pulled from the beer I was rapidly beginning to wish I didnít have to drink: smoky oats and malt, bakerís dark chocolate, lots of roasted coffee grounds, hint of vanilla, a little bit of burnt molasses and maybe some bitter cocoa powder. It was like a baking experiment gone awfully, horribly awry. Let me just say with complete honesty here, that despite my following complaints, the first few sips were super bitter, but once I got over the roast coffee and burnt molasses, I was able to appreciate the texture more which made it much more enjoyable. Like I mentioned, the beginning of each sip was pretty bitter, followed by a rich wave of coffee grounds, burnt oats, thick malts, and spicy hops (Kent Golding). --- The mouthfeel was a medium-light with soft carbonation, creating a smooth body that was both dry and creamy on my tongue. It did peak on sour right after I swallowed, but everything mellowed out in the end to allow more hops to shine through. --- This stout is a great example of how oatmeal stouts should be made, even according to seasoned tasters, so Iím glad I was able to learn to appreciate the type of brew with the Nimbus micro. Being that it is so aromatic and robust, it would be best paired with a hearty smoked steak and a chocolate dessert, both of which will help to bring out each of the individual flavors. In the very end, this is a beer I can most certainly appreciate, but one I most likely wonít be drinking unless I have both a nice slab of smoked rib-eye and a fudge brownie with walnuts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Tmoney99 (10584) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 24, 2010
Bottle shared by alexsdad06. Poured dark brown color with medium to large brown frothy head that mostly lasted with good lacing. Medium to heavy toasted malt and chocolate aroma. Medium to full body with a smooth texture and flat carbonation. Medium toasted sweet malt flavor with a medium sweet finish of moderate duration. My expectations where met.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Sledutah (4663) - Utah, USA - DEC 4, 2010
On tap at Nimbus
Appearance: Black with a small tan head and some light lacing
Aroma: Roasted malts and coffee
Taste: Roasted malts and creamy coffee
Nice Sweet stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
blklab2007 (1951) - Connecticut, USA - NOV 10, 2010
bottle poured a dark cola color with a covering of light brown head. aroma has dark roasted malt, baking chocolate, mild bitterness, and some oats. mouth feel is medium and the oats thicken it up a bit with higher side carbonation. flavor has lightly roasted chocolate malt, a poke of hops, mild coffee bitterness, and oat creaminess.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
GKillian (525) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - SEP 18, 2010
Pours dark with brown head and some lacing. Notes of chocolate and a hint of coffee. Balanced taste that is smooth.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Maltajo (329) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - SEP 17, 2010
On Tap at the brewery! Nice dark brown pour with a frothy head. Roasted barley with a nice round oatmeal taste that stays on your tounge for a while. Go for it!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Travlr (11132) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - AUG 24, 2010
Draft sample at the brewpub. Black, brown head, very thick. Aroma of dark chocolate. Taste of roasted coffee with a bitter finish. Our favorite of 6 samples.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jb43 (1650) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - JUN 3, 2010
(bottle, sampled 2/18/10). Black color. Medium tan head, which is mostly diminishing. Moderate roasted coffee aroma, with light oats. Flavor of the same. Avg duration. Light bitter finish. Thin/slick texture. Soft carbonation. Spare lacing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
blutt59 (6017) - Dallas, Texas, USA - APR 3, 2010
bottle, via trade with jbye4334, cola brown with no foam, aroma has some plastic and cashew, cocoa, flavors of sour coffee, dry cocoa, mixed nuts and cinnamon