overall

RATINGS: 239   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.42   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
A traditional stout using dark roasted malted barley to create a full-bodied ale. Rounded with the smooth flavor of oats, the addition of English Kent Goldings hops produces a creamy stout that has proven to be a favorite.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Indulgence (141) - Ajo, Arizona, USA - AUG 1, 2008
Aromas of burnt coffee, fermented fruits and bitter cocoa and some floral hops, pours a brownish black body with a small quick head the dissappears suddenly, flavor is dr. pepper like with notes of burnt coffee and cocoa, there is a light creaminess but a little too watery body and a dry. Overall, drinkable, but just one time, Next!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
GlenVargas (140) - Missouri, USA - SEP 11, 2007
The nitrogen-charged oatmeal stout is the best beer on tap at Nimbus (as of September 9th). Of course, I know thereís a lot of complaining about nitrogen making beer taste like month-old milk. Still, for me, the nitrogen does a lot to preserve the sweetness and creamy palate of the stout. When sipping the Nimbus oatmeal stout, it seems a little thin on taste as soon as it hits the tongue, but the finish is surprisingly flavorful (chocolate, coffee, oats). Every drink left me wanting another.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
thickfreakness (132) - AUSTIN, Texas, USA - SEP 30, 2008
Bottle received from an in person trade at DLD. Pours black with short lived brown head. Smells sweet chocolate, lactose, oatmeal, and vanilla. Flavor of sweet milk chocolate, vanilla, and a slight sour milk twinge at the end. Smooth mouthfeel from the oats and medium carbonation. A pretty nice and drinkable oatmeal stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Icommonsewer (124) - TUCSON, Arizona, USA - AUG 15, 2007
this is a very nice local stout that stacked up well in the year long ígreatest stoutí search my wife and I conducted in 2006-7

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jedimasternick (96) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - OCT 29, 2002
Outstanding flavor that rivals the best Porters and Stouts. It is similar to another Tucson brew- Gentle Bens Nolan Porter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BCMike22 (80) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - MAY 18, 2008
Poured into Red Sox pint glass. Pitch black, next to zero carbonation. Non-existent head. Nose isnít over pronounced. Some malt, coffee scents. Easier to drink than I thought, thinner than it poured. A little lighter in the palate, but a great aftertaste rich w/coffee and chocolate. Nice combo of taste and drinkability.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
scottyg (79) - Gainesville, Florida, USA - MAY 1, 2004
The brew that I usually get when I go to Nimbus. A good stout, that doesnít leave a bad look on your face. A nice blend of flavors that meld well together, though some at the table who are not stout fans said "it tastes like charcoal."

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
ragesaq (70) - Arizona, USA - NOV 6, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2009 One year update Appearance: Dark, not much carbonation, creamy but dark head. Aroma: Very light, slightly smooth sweet oat aroma, touch of coffee. Flavor profile: Medium body, dry but quenching, smooth oat, coffee and chocolate aftertaste. Mouthfeel: Bitter yet smooth, sweet oat.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
lucklys (62) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - FEB 13, 2011
Iím going to preface this review by stating that this is my first ever stout. Ever. Carry on. --- This beer was pitch black. While I was pouring it, I was slightly intimidated by the initial chocolatey brown color, but soon fell into a quiet fear as it ebbed black with the last drop. I couldnít see into the liquid like I could all of my other lighter beers; when I looked into the glass, all I could see was my shocked reflection staring starkly back at me. It was that black. My frightening first impression was quickly comforted by the sandy head of foam that grew to just over a finger thick. I suppose I didnít really expect a snow white head, but the light brown bubbles made me feel safer about my decision to delve into the world of stouts despite my painful lack of information. Also, for anyone who cares, the lacing was spotty and minimal. --- Before I did any amount of research on stouts or this particular brew, I sniffed and came away repulsed. My first thought, I kid you not, was "soy sauce?!". Even now, as I sit with my nose in the bottle trying to get around the sour, salty-sweetness of Chinese condiments, I cannot seem to break away from my inaugural impression. So, I smell soy sauce. Other than that, and by combining all of the other robust fragrances which Iím sure are probably creating the illusion of soy sauce, it still wasnít my cup of tea. Or glass of beer, as the case may be. --- Among the myriad of scents I pulled from the beer I was rapidly beginning to wish I didnít have to drink: smoky oats and malt, bakerís dark chocolate, lots of roasted coffee grounds, hint of vanilla, a little bit of burnt molasses and maybe some bitter cocoa powder. It was like a baking experiment gone awfully, horribly awry. Let me just say with complete honesty here, that despite my following complaints, the first few sips were super bitter, but once I got over the roast coffee and burnt molasses, I was able to appreciate the texture more which made it much more enjoyable. Like I mentioned, the beginning of each sip was pretty bitter, followed by a rich wave of coffee grounds, burnt oats, thick malts, and spicy hops (Kent Golding). --- The mouthfeel was a medium-light with soft carbonation, creating a smooth body that was both dry and creamy on my tongue. It did peak on sour right after I swallowed, but everything mellowed out in the end to allow more hops to shine through. --- This stout is a great example of how oatmeal stouts should be made, even according to seasoned tasters, so Iím glad I was able to learn to appreciate the type of brew with the Nimbus micro. Being that it is so aromatic and robust, it would be best paired with a hearty smoked steak and a chocolate dessert, both of which will help to bring out each of the individual flavors. In the very end, this is a beer I can most certainly appreciate, but one I most likely wonít be drinking unless I have both a nice slab of smoked rib-eye and a fudge brownie with walnuts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
seanbhudson (57) - , California, USA - MAR 3, 2009
APPEARANCE: Pours an opaque black color with a small tan head that dissipates at an average rate. Small amount of lacing. AROMA: Not a lot of aroma. Earthy hops, alcohol, molasses and coffee. FLAVOR: Relatively light flavor. Roasted malts, unsweetened chocolate and slight earthy hops. MOUTHFEEL: Light to medium body with a watery texture. Soft carbonation. DRINKABILITY: Very easy to drink but so is water. NOTES: BBCSD-0902-MikeM