NoDa Bourbon Barrel Aged NoDaRyeZ’d

Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 4   MEAN: 3.35/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.99/5   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 264   ABV: 8.8%
Nodables - August 2013
The vanilla character and bourbon notes have undercut much of NoDaRyeZ’d’s sharp hop bitterness and the rye notes from the barrels blend very nicely with rye notes from NoDaRyeZ’d. SRM 12

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TURDFERGUSON (4027) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JAN 31, 2013
Tap at rrbf. Nice to meet one of the owners who I had communicated with this fall. Nice to faces to names, especially within our tight knit craft beer community here in NC. I didnt care for this one as much as the regular NoDaRyeZ’d but I wasn’t super surprised about it either. I have never been a big fan of hoppy based ales aged in any sort of barrel. I feel like it does nothing positive for the base beer, and basically just turns it into a barelywine or an aged IPA. Kind of a waste of the hops in my opinion. This one was interesting. Haven’t had a lot of stuff from a rye barrel, and rye tends to be my favorite type of whiskey. I got a lot more plain vanilla and brown sugar sweetness from this, some light spicy rye notes, and a just a hint of the hoppy base beer underneath. Will have to try again when my palate has less competition.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
drowland (7111) - Georgia, USA - AUG 8, 2013
Sampled during CBC 2013. Amber pour with a small khaki head. Barrel all over this bad boy, probably wouldn’t have guessed IPA without the name. Vanilla, butterscotch, and nuttiness in the aroma and flavor, a lot of barrel, not very complex and doesn’t seem to collaborate with the base well. Eh.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
GT2 (9412) - Oceanside, California, USA - MAR 27, 2013
Tap at Churchkey for CBC thanks to drowland! Pours a low haze deep jewel ruby red. Medium off white foam. Nose is heavy barrel, a lot of butter, amaretto, candies. Small tomato paste. Taste is sharp, minerally, nutty, lots of celery seed. Seems to have lost all body, void, drained. Abrasive bitterness, more tannic and nutty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
emacgee (4457) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - MAR 15, 2013
Tasted at RRBF. Pours a very murky thick amber with a thin wispy tan head. Spicy and very muddled aroma with some hop character coming through with the touch of barrel . Overly bitter in the flavor between the tannin and alpha acid. Muddy and confused flavor profile. Meh. I’ve really enjoyed all of their other stuff though!