overall
Brewed by Nøgne Ø
Style: Barley Wine
Grimstad, Norway

RATINGS: 1194   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   IBU: 80   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Our 100th batch, brewed for the enjoyment of the brewers, but popular demand forced us to release it commercially. Most enjoyable in a comfortable chair in front of a roaring fire.

Recommended serving temperature 16°C/61°F Ingredients: Maris Otter, wheat, and chocolate malt; Columbus, Chinook, and Centennial hops; English ale yeast, and our local Grimstad water.

23,5°P, 80 IBU, 10% ABV.

Editor’s note: Even though the label says "Barley Wine" in the States, the brewery usually says it’s brewed to be an IIPA. The American label was supposedly a glitch. In Europe it’s sold as an IIPA. But to save the admin crew some time dealing with user feedback, it’s listed as a Barley Wine.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TURDFERGUSON (3928) - Carrboro, North Carolina, USA - AUG 27, 2007
Bottle from a trade with Boutip. Thanks a lot, Phil! Lost my notes on this one, so this rating will be short and sweet: I really liked this beer. Very heavy, thick, velvety mouthfeel--almost like an imperial stout at times. Hops are present but mainly in the background and finish. Lots of caramel malts, brown sugar, some oak. I agree with some of the other raters, this beer feels like more of a hybrid of a double ipa and either a bw, imperial stout, scotch ale, or just its own new thing. Definitely doesn’t have the balance you would expect in a double ipa, but that said, it’s still great. My favorite Nogne product to date.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Stefano (1864) - Esbjerg, DENMARK - AUG 22, 2007
Hazy brown color with a small head on top. Rich malty aroma with muted pine hop accents. Malty hoppy flavor with hints of pine needles. Long bitter hoppy aftertaste with hints of pine needles. Excellent.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brix (633) - DENMARK - AUG 20, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 9, 2008 Tasted 2007-08-21. 5 months old bottle, 50cl. This is one massive Norwegian. Pours dark brown with beige head. Lots of yeast, if one’s not careful. Either way a beautiful beer. I have days, where I would most like a Belgian quadruppel. And I have days, where what I need is an American style barley wine. This particular beer feels like a mix of the two, and it works for me all days! I have diffculties dissecting the different flavours of this one - but one thing is for sure: Hops are present! But as I said: Imagine a mix between a quadruppel and an ASBW, then you have it! Try it - you’ll love it! Side note: I wouldn’t call this a DIPA. Don’t know what it is, but it’s not a DIPA. Maybe we have a new style: Barley quadruppel - BQ. I see a bar named Bar BQ serving this style. :-)

Re-rate: I’ve had a few of these recently that hasn’t been quite as good as before. From different batches I’ve had it tasting more harsh and unpleasant and not as nuanced. So I’ve downgraded the overall score from 20 to 18.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Glouglouburp (5934) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 20, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 5, 2010 Brown body with lots of yeast particles and topped by a long lasting small tan head. Strong toffee and alcohol on the nose. First thing about the taste is the alcohol. Too much of it. I would have guessed more than the actual 10%. Burning alcohol with even a hint on cognac/brandy. Very sweet beer (candy-sweet). Syrupy. Caramel cake and woody malts. Lots of tree-bark and piney hops. The hops bitterness manages to pierce through the alcohol and that’s a good thing. Gets better as it warms up. Very hoppy yes but to me this is not an IIPA, not quite a Barley Wine either. It does feel very American so I’ll just call it an American Strong Ale. Someone would have told me that this is Avery’s latest over-the-top alcoholised creation and I would have believed it. Not exactly a compliment. Gøød 1Ø.Ø% sipper but tøø much alcøhøl, far frøm my favøurite Nøgne Ø bøøze.

pubbe (493) - Højbjerg, DENMARK - AUG 19, 2007
Bottle. Dark amber colour with exelent and mostly lasting off-white head. Powerfull aroma and flavor of fruity hoppyness and nuts. The flavor of malt and nuts just lingers on for minutes. Really my kind of beer! Well done!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
NMC01 (69) - DENMARK - AUG 16, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 27, 2009 Bottle (50 cl). Somehow this brewery understands the meaning of delivering the goods to the gourmets. This is a double IPA with a twist and it is very complex and uniquely hopped ale with wonderful odour. Great in any aspect: TASTEFUL and to be further more discovered at every sip (Large+ palate). The beer was quite expensive - but it is all worth it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
sayravai (4667) - Helsinki, FINLAND - AUG 14, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 6, 2007 (Bottled, brewed 190407, re-sample 141007) Extremely deep burgundy color with a large, creamy and lacy, lasting head. Very strongly aromatic-hoppy, very toffee-caramely, roasted-malty aroma with hints of alcohol. Intensively aromatic, fruity-pine-hoppy flavor with a long, roasty and sweetish-caramely-malty finish. Alcohol is completely hidden under the strong, roasty-hoppy sweetness, but still warms you up nicely. Pretty full-bodied, sweetish palate with smooth carbonation. A very enjoyable dessert drink with the good parts from both scotch ales and double IPAs. Also reminds me a bit of Black Sheep Riggwelter - only squared multiple times. Excellent stuff from one of my favorite breweries! And if it’s excellent when 4 months old, what will it be in 5 years from now...? 2 months was a bit too young and harsh, though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
FrankJohansen (3602) - Sabro, DENMARK - AUG 10, 2007
Bottle. Dark amber colour with a huge mostly lasting off white head. Powerful aroma and taste of malts with heavy fruity notes. Rich hoppy finish. Very good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
cab (866) - DENMARK - AUG 4, 2007
Bottel.50cl. A very dark Ipa, with a fine and deep aroma, of malts very dark one´s. The taste is very american micro. I notis some sulphur, from low yeast pitch rate or gypsum.

JJClark (551) - Roscoe, Illinois, USA - AUG 4, 2007
Bottle from trade with Boutip. Thanks Phil! Pours a reddish brown color with a small off white head. Aroma of hops, caramel and roasted malt. Taste is slightly sweet and malty . Has a slight citrus flavor as you dig deeper with a nice hop bite in the finish. Very nice!